Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Abbas Ammoes, Issac, and Longinos -- On Illness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Abbas Ammoes, Issac, and Longinos -- On Illness  (Read 6701 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »

'It was said of Abba Ammoes that he lay ill in bed for many years and that he never allowed his mind to dwell on the inside of his cell or take any notice of its contents; for, since he was ill, the other Fathers would bring him various things to eat. When his disciples went in and out of the cell bringing food, the Elder would close his eyes, so as not to see what the brother was carrying. So great was the exactitude displayed by the Elder that, even when ill, he refrained from delighting his palate or asking for anything he enjoyed. He was content and pleased with what his disciple prepared and brought him. This is an example we should strive to emulate to the best of our ability.

Abba Isaac once fell seriously ill, and the illness remained with him for a long period of time. A certain brother who served him made him a little porridge, put some plums into it, and offered it to the Elder. When he saw the porridge, the Elder did not want it. The brother, therefore, pleaded with him, saying: "Take a little, Abba." The Elder replied, "In all truth, Brother, I should like to spend thirty years in this condition."

Abba Longinos took ill only once, saying to himself: "Be ill and even die. If you ask me to eat outside the appointed times, I will not provide you even with the daily sustenance permitted by monastic custom."'

- from the sayings of the Desert Fathers

'The Lord says in the Gospel that one who is not faithful over a few things is not faithful over many either. By "a few things" the Lord means such worldly concerns as food, clothing, and bodily needs, concerning which He bade us not to be anxious, but to let Him take care of them. By "many things" He means the bounties of the age to come, which He promises to provide for those who believe in Him, and who are unremitting in their eagerness to obtain them and forever ask for them: "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shal be added unto you."

Hence, these few temporal concerns become a proof and a test of each man's faith in Christ.'

St. Ephraem

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »

When I read these I really see how the three traditional enemies, 'the world', 'the flesh', and 'the devil' are battled.

During illnesses the saints battle vs. 'the body' is displayed in the past few quotes, so that rather than ruling over the spirit with its desires, it is subjugated. Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shal be added unto you."

This is one of my very favorite Scripture passages.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »

The saints truly have the best knowledge of the scriptures! Cheesy

The Kingdom of God first of all!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »

A certain Elder suffered continuously from illness. It so happened that he once passed a whole year without suffering from any illness. He was sorely distressed by this and wept, saying: "God has abandoned me and is not thinking of me."

Once upon a time an Elder who lived alone in his cell fell ill. Not having anyone to serve him, when he got up from his bed he would partake of whatever he found in his cell.

He did this for many days, and no one went to visit him. After thirty days had passed, since no one had come to see him, God sent an Angel to serve him.

The Angel remained with him for seven days.

Meanwhile, the brethren finally remembered the Elder, and went to visit him. When they knocked on the door of his cell, the Angel departed and the Elder called out to them from within: "Go away from here, my brothers."

After forcing open the door, they went inside and asked him why he had called out. "For thirty days," he told them, "I was very ill and not one of you visited me. And behold, it is now seven days since our Lord sent me His Angel to serve me; but just as you came, the Angel departed from me."

No sooner had he finished his account he reposed. In amazement, the brethren glorified God.

George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »

The saints truly have the best knowledge of the scriptures! Cheesy

The Kingdom of God first of all!

Yes, the Kingdom of God first.
Amen

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

From the Life of St. Synkletike

The blessed Synkletike used to say:

". . . rejoice, because God has visited you, and keep repeating this consolatory phrase, saying with the Prophet: "The Lord has chastened me sore, but He hath not given me over unto the death of sin" (c.f. Psalm 117:18). Were you like iron in your steadfastness? Then, through the fire of tribulations you lose the rust of your passions. Are you righteous, and yet you are ill? Do not be perturbed, for you are progressing from great achievements to still greater achievements. Are you like gold? Then you will prove more brilliant through the fire of afflictions.

Has a messenger of Satan been given to your flesh (2 Cor. 12:7)? Then rejoice. See whom you have come to resemble: the great Paul, the luminary of the inhabited earth. Are you tormented by a fever? Are you racked by cold? Keep in mind, then, that after you have passed through fire and water, you will find your refreshment ready for you as well. Having experienced what preceded -- that is, the ordeal of fire and cold -- expect what follows -- that is, rest and refreshment from the Lord.

Do not grieve because, on account of bodily infirmity, you are unable to stand at prayer or chant aloud; for all illnesses, and their consequences, are conducive to the subjugation of our carnal desires. Now, fasting and sleeping on the ground are prescribed for the repulsion of shameful pleasures. But if illness has obtunded these desires and pleasures, such practices are superfluous.

Why do I call them superfluous? I should say, rather, that illness is the best and most effective remedy for overcoming the carnal mind (c.f. Romans 8:6-7). Hence, the greatest ascesis is to endure diseases with patience and to give thanks to God for these afflictions.

Have we been deprived of sight by illness? Let us not take it badly, for we have cast off the organs of cupidity and we behold the Glory of the Lord with our inner eyes.

Have we become deaf? Let us be thankful, for we shall no longer be able to hear vain conversations. Instead, we shall always hear the word of the Lord with the ears of our mind.

Are we suffering in our hands and feet? We have been deprived for our own good, of those members which lead us to sin. We have our inner hands and feet, whereby we shall subdue the Enemy and walk unerringly on the path that leads to Heaven.

Is our entire body suffering from illness? This is how our inner man gains perfect health.

Let us, therefore, not be dismayed when we fall ill, but let us give thanks to God, Who arranges all things for our benefit and Who oftentimes, through the temporary sickness of our perishable body, bestows eternal health and salvation upon our immortal soul.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »

From the life of St. Luke:

A monk by the name of Gregory, who was acquainted with St. Luke, used to spend the holy days of the Great Fast with him. During this time, he did not cease beseeching the Saint to pray to God to deliver him from a chronic malady that vexed him sorely; for he had a weak constitution, and suffered greatly from his stomach.

Although Luke, out of modesty, put off fulfilling this request, protesting it was beyond his powers, Gregory, in pain, and yet full of confidence (for he knew what boldness the Saint had before God), did not give up, but persisted importunely in his entreaties, until the wondrous man, unable to fend him off any longer, said, "My poor Gregory, you are going to become healthy, for you will no longer suffer stomach pains from the food you eat." This came to pass, and from then on Gregory enjoyed good health.

George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »

There is profound wisdom here. So much to think about. I'm beginning to understand, better.

George ( Haji )
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:50:13 AM »

The faith reminds me of the woman who knew she would be healed if she could only touch Jesus' cloak.
The persistence  is like the widow who kept bothering the official to render her a fair judgement.

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

Widows have a special place in the Lord's Heart and in the care of His Church.  crucifix

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

[Widows have a special place in the Lord's Heart and in the care of His Church.  crucifix]

cherubim cherubim cherubim

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Abbas Ammoes, Issac, and Longinos -- On Illness « previous next »
Jump to: