Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Print
Author Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss  (Read 136514 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »

A sincere act of contrition each night before we sleep could prevent us being carried off (like Fr. Furniss said) unexpectedly and unrepentant by the devil for we can never judge as to whether we are in a state of grace at any given time and it could be foolish to presume so. Sometimes I say a few extra acts of contrition and offer it through Our Lady for some poor soul who has been cast off by God that through her intercession the Lord will grant them the grace to repent.

Thanks be to God that even if the preachers don't preach anymore (as Fr. Furniss said) either because of their own sin or the sin of the people, the Lord has still provided a way to hear for those who want to hear by the recorded preachings of His saints.

Lord have mercy on us all and especially all poor souls in mortal sin who are blind as to their condition. Mary, refuge of sinners, pray for us.  cross prayer

That's a really good thought.. It's touching truly. I think I shall try it too. Thank you Martin!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »

Consider my leg pulled odhiambo!  rotfl blue

Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »

A sincere act of contrition each night before we sleep could prevent us being carried off (like Fr. Furniss said) unexpectedly and unrepentant by the devil for we can never judge as to whether we are in a state of grace at any given time and it could be foolish to presume so.

This is good advice martin, one I have already started to practice, thanks to you  crucifix
It can also contribute to dying a good death that us Catholics so yearn for. Little Angel

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2012, 03:34:09 AM »

CHAPTER XII.

THE VOICE OF JESUS ON THE CROSS TO THE SINNER.

"POOR sinner," Jesus says, "you went away from me by mortal sin, and now I want you to come back to me and be again my child. When on the cross I cried out that word, 'I thirst," John xix., I was thirsting for the moment to come when you would return to me. O sinner, why will you not come to me again? why may I not love you again? See, my arms are stretched out to receive you -- my head is bowed down to give you the kiss of peace and forgiveness. The blood runs down from my body to wash away your sins. My heart is breaking with sorrow because you have left me. Come then to me, my dear sinner, I will make your repentance very easy -- I will suffer for you the punishment due to your sins. Come, then, poor sinner, come and dwell under the shadow of my cross, and be again as you were before, my child and my brother. I will love you again, and you will give glory to my Father in heaven, and joy to his holy angels."

O Jesus, you have spoken sweet and gracious words of love and forgiveness; listen then to the poor sinner, for he is kneeling at the foot of the cross, and he wants to speak to you.

CHAPTER XIII.

THE VOICE OF THE SINNER TO JESUS.

O JESUS, my God, my Creator, what you say is most true. I remember how you were nailed to the hard cross -- how your poor head was torn with the sharp thorns -- how the holy blood came from your blessed body. Sweet Jesus, your blessed heart has spoken to me, and told me that you died a bitter death on the cross, for the love of me, your poor child, to wash away my sins with your precious blood, and to save me from hell. Yes, it was my sins which nailed you to the cross and made you die. Oh, wicked sins, I hate and detest you. My good Jesus, I love you, and I am very sorry for offending you, and I promise you that I will never offend you any more -- no, never again. May I live for you and for you only, my sweet Saviour Jesus, and if you foresee that on any day of my future life I shall again offend you by mortal sin, may I not live to see that sorrowful day; in your sweet mercy take me out of this world before that day comes. Jesus, have pity on my poor soul! You did not turn away your face from those who struck it and spit upon it, will you turn away your face from a soul which wants to love you? O Jesus, think how much it cost you to save my soul. You bought it with your own blood -- yes, you died for it; and now, my Jesus, I do not ask you to die again for me; I only ask you to say to me the one word -- pardon, forgiveness. Do not refuse to save a soul which you died to save.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »

CHAPTER XIV.
THE FUTURE.

I. How to keep out of mortal sin.

1. Keep away from what is likely to lead you into mortal sin. Keep away from bad company; keep away from those companions who have already led you into sin; keep away from those places where you know there is danger of mortal sin; keep away from those bad books which have done you so much harm. If you ask me why you must keep away from these dangers, my answer is the word of God: "He that loveth the danger, shall perish in it." Eccus. iii.

2. In time of temptation pray. Jesus Christ says, "Watch ye, and pray, that ye enter not into temptation." Matt. xxvi. 41. The reason why people commonly fall into mortal sins is, because when temptation comes, they neglect to pray, and then God does not help them, and so they fall. Therefore, when temptation shall come, whether it be some wicked thought in your heart from the devil, or evil words, or bad example, always be ready to say the beautiful prayer of St. Alphonsus: "Jesus and Mary, help me." Every day pray that God would never let you commit a mortal sin, saying that petition of the Our Father, "Lead us not into temptation." You may also pray thus: "My God, with your help I resolve never to commit a mortal sin; may I die rather than commit a mortal sin."

3. If you wish to keep out of mortal sin, go often to the Sacraments, at least once a month. St. Alphonsus says, that the best way to keep out of mortal sin is to go to confession and the Holy Communion once every week. John vi. : "He that eateth this bread shall live forever."

4. Carefully avoid willful venial sins, and then be sure that you will avoid mortal sins. Eccus. xix. : "He that despiseth small things, shall fall by little and little."

5. Therefore, remember three things. 1. Keep away from the temptation. 2. In time of temptation say: "Jesus and Mary, help me." 3. Go often to the Sacraments.

II. What you must do if you have the misfortune to fall into mortal sin.

Jer. viii. : "Shall not he that falleth rise again?" If you catch a fever, you get rid of it as soon as you can. If you break your arm, you get it mended as soon as you are able. Do at least as much for your soul as for your body. If you commit a mortal sin, and you die with that mortal sin in your soul, you go to hell for all eternity! Therefore, do not keep that horrible monster, mortal sin, in your soul for one moment. But you say, "What must I do? which is the way? how am I to get this sin forgiven?" Listen and you shall hear what you must do: Make an act of contrition directly, and go to confession as soon as you can. Remember these two things.

1. After mortal sin make an act of contrition directly. Do not delay for a day, an hour, a minute, a moment. Say any act of contrition; for example, the act of contrition of blessed Leonard: "O my God, I am very sorry that I have sinned against thee, because thou art so good, and I will not sin again." But you say, What is the use of making an act of contrition directly after a mortal sin? I know I can get my sin forgiven by going to confession, but what is the use of making an act of contrition until the time comes when I can go to confession. I will tell you the use of it. It may be some days, it may be a week, before you can get to confession. Do you think God wishes you to remain in mortal sin for a week, or until the time comes when you can go to confession? Certainly he does not. But you can get your sins forgiven before you go to confession? Certainly, you can. But how? Through the great mercy of God, at any moment of the day or night, whenever you will, if you make a sincere act of true contrition, with the intention of confessing it, at that moment God forgives the sin, and you become the child of God again. How good God is, that a sinner should not be obliged to remain in mortal sin, and a state of damnation, one moment longer than he wishes it himself! St. Thomas says: "However little the sorrow may be, if it is only true contrition, it takes away the sin." Q. 1, 2, 4. But you ask, what does St. Thomas mean when he says, "that this sorrow must be true contrition?" He means just this, that you must be sorry for offending God because he is so good, and resolve not to offend him again. St. Alphonsus says just the same; Die Poenit. iv.

In the lives of the Fathers of the Desert, we read of a holy man called St. Paul the Simple. He stood one Sunday at the church door while the people were going in to hear Mass. God let him see the state of their souls. Their angel guardians went along with them, showing great joy and contentment. But amongst them he saw one over whose head there was a dark cloud. His soul was black. The devil held him by a chain. His angel guardian followed at a distance, looking very sorrowful, with his eyes cast down on the ground. This man was in mortal sin. When the people came out again, St. Paul watched for the unfortunate man who was in mortal sin. At length he saw him; and, behold, the dark cloud which was over him had passed away -- the chain no longer bound him, and his soul was shining with brightness. The devil stood at a great distance from him; his angel guardian was at his side rejoicing. St. Paul then went up to the man, and asked him what had happened to him while he was at Mass. The man answered: When I went into the church, I was in mortal sin. While I was in the church I happened to hear some words from the prophet Isaias, in which God promises to pardon those who repent sincerely. Then I began to pray. I said: O my God, you came into the world to save sinners; save me, for I am a great sinner, and most unworthy of your pardon. I am very sorry that I have sinned against you, because you are so good, and I promise you, with a sincere heart, that, from this moment, I will not sin any more. I will serve you for the time to come with a sincere conscience. Pardon a sinner who begs of you to forgive his sins. When St. Paul heard this, he cried out: Oh, the unspeakable goodness of God; how great is his compassion and love for poor sinners? Learn, then, O sinner, that the good and merciful God is ever ready to forgive your sin, at any moment and in any place, if you only make a good and sincere act of contrition. Learn, also the blessing of going to Mass on Sundays. How can a sinner pray with a sincere heart before the Divine blood on the altar, which washes away the sins of the world, and not have his sins forgiven?

3. Besides making an act of contrition directly after mortal sin, you should also go to confession, and confess the sin as soon as you can. First, because you are obliged to confess every mortal sin. Jesus Christ has instituted the sacrament of Penance, to forgive all mortal sins to those who are contrite of heart, and confess them sincerely. John xx. : "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them." Secondly, although you may hope that the mortal sin has been forgiven, if you made a sincere act of contrition, still you feel more secure about the forgiveness of it, after you have received absolution in the sacrament of Penance.

There is one great evil, and only one.
The one great evil is -- mortal sin.
From mortal sin, sweet Jesus, deliver us.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »

THE END

Cheesy

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2012, 06:49:05 AM »

Very sound advise there on how to avoid mortal sin.
Avoiding, as far as possible, the near occasions of sin, can not be over emphasized.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »

I think this is all so helpful! It's the basics put together in such a way if just followed -- success. One has to be pious and desirous of holiness and refusing sin enough to do it, but when one does it!

How instantly help comes when we say devoutly "Jesus and Mary, help me!"

All we have to do is softly say the words!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph protect us!

Jesus Mary, and Joseph, save souls!

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »

In the lives of the Fathers of the Desert, we read of a holy man called St. Paul the Simple. He stood one Sunday at the church door while the people were going in to hear Mass. God let him see the state of their souls. Their angel guardians went along with them, showing great joy and contentment. But amongst them he saw one over whose head there was a dark cloud. His soul was black. The devil held him by a chain. His angel guardian followed at a distance, looking very sorrowful, with his eyes cast down on the ground. This man was in mortal sin. When the people came out again, St. Paul watched for the unfortunate man who was in mortal sin. At length he saw him; and, behold, the dark cloud which was over him had passed away -- the chain no longer bound him, and his soul was shining with brightness. The devil stood at a great distance from him; his angel guardian was at his side rejoicing. St. Paul then went up to the man, and asked him what had happened to him while he was at Mass. The man answered: When I went into the church, I was in mortal sin. While I was in the church I happened to hear some words from the prophet Isaias, in which God promises to pardon those who repent sincerely. Then I began to pray. I said: O my God, you came into the world to save sinners; save me, for I am a great sinner, and most unworthy of your pardon. I am very sorry that I have sinned against you, because you are so good, and I promise you, with a sincere heart, that, from this moment, I will not sin any more. I will serve you for the time to come with a sincere conscience. Pardon a sinner who begs of you to forgive his sins. When St. Paul heard this, he cried out: Oh, the unspeakable goodness of God;

This is a most beautiful story, so full of hope for us poor sinners. "Oh, the unspeakable goodness of God."  angel bell

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »

Yes, it is a beautiful story; it shows also that God never leaves us; we are the ones who leave Him by choosing to sin. Even after sinning, God stands ready to forgive us just as soon as we sincerely ask for His forgiveness and have genuine sorrow and repentance for our sins.
The imagery of the guardian angel following desolately from a distance and a dark cloud hovering over the head of the sinner is also a deterrent .

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »

And so this book comes to an end. There's a great deal worth looking back over and reflecting on. Hesitantly, we turn to the next page.

The next book is, 'God Loves Little Children'.

crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:20 AM »

GOD LOVES LITTLE CHILDREN

1. How Jesus Loves Little Children -- The Stable.

IN a little town in a far country there was a stable. If you had gone into this stable you would have seen two persons, one of them was called Mary and the other Joseph. There was also a manger, an ox, and an ass standing at the manger and eating hay out of it. In the manger there was a very little infant laid on the hay. This infant was -- God! He was Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. Go, little child, up to the manger and kneel down, and speak thus to Jesus: "O infant Jesus, I believe that you are God the Son, but tell me why did you become a little infant lying in the manger?" Jesus will answer you; he says: "My dear child, it is true I am God, but I loved the little children so much, that I wanted to be a little child like them myself. So you see me a little child in the manger."

II. How Jesus loved to be with the Little Children.

THE little children loved Jesus very much, for the knew that Jesus loved them. One day a great many little children were brought to Jesus that he might lay his hands on them and bless them. Some people who were there, were so foolish as to think that Jesus did not want the children to come to him. So they scolded those who brought the children, and they began to send the children away from Jesus. When Jesus saw that they were sending the children away from him, he was very angry! Then he said these words -- "Suffer the little children to come to me, and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God." Then he laid his hands on the children and blessed them. Mark x. One day Jesus took a little child by the hand, and showed it to the people, and he siad that they could not go into heaven unless they became simple, and meek, and humble like the little child. You will be glad to hear that a little while before Jesus died, when everybody was crying out against Jesus, the children were heard crying out his praises in the Temple of Jerusalem. Luke. It is the delight of Jesus to be with children.

III. The Child and the Lord.

WHEN the venerable B. Gerard was a child, he went into a church, where there was an image of the Blessed Virgin. The infant Jesus left the arms of the Blessed Virgin, and came to Gerard, and game him a beautiful loaf of white bread. Gerard carried the loaf home. His mother asked him where he got it. He answered that a child had given it to him. He went to this church many times, and each time the infant Jesus came and played with him, and gave him another loaf. When he was seven years old he saw other people going up to the altar to receive Holy Communion. When he came to the altar the priest told him to go back. This made him very sorrowful. The next night the great Archangel St. Michael came to him, and gave him Holy Communion. If God has a great love for children, he will take great care of them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:46:46 AM by Shin » Logged

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »

IV. HOW GOD TAKES CARE OF CHILDREN.

The Boy not Crushed.

SAINT PHILIP one day, when a child, was standing in a yard near the house saw an ass standing there, and jumped on its back. The ass, along with Philip, fell down some steps into a cellar. He fell under the ass. Everybody thought that he was crushed to death. They took him away from under the ass, and found that by the Providence of God he was not at all hurt.

One day Philip was walking along the street. As he went on his way he dropped something made of gold. He stood still and said a prayer. He then went to look for it and found it directly. Another time he had let some things drop a long way off, but he prayed, and went back and found them again.

V. The Boy and the Wolf.

WHEN Blessed Sebastian was a little boy, there was a very dangerous sickness going about the country. Sebastian caught the sickness. There was fear lest others should catch the sickness from him. So he was not allowed to remain in the house. He was carried out into a part of the country where nobody was living, and he was left by himself in a poor little hut. Every day some bread was taken and left near the door of the hut, that he might come out and eat it. One day he felt as if he was dying. The sickness had made a swelling come on his head. This swelling gave him frightful pain. He was lying on the ground dying. The door of the hut was open. At this moment a great frightful wolf, which had come down from the mountains, walked in through the door. The wolf came up to little Sebastian, who thought he was going to be eaten up by the beast. But the wolf, instead of eating him up, lifted up its paw and scratched at the swelling on his head, and then went away. As soon as the swelling had been scratched by the wolf it began to bleed. The moment the swelling began to bleed, he felt better, and in a short time was quite well. How good God is to the poor little children. Other people leave them, but God never leaves them. There was nobody to cure that little boy, so God sent the wolf to cure him.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »

GOD LOVES LITTLE CHILDREN

WHEN the venerable B. Gerard was a child, he went into a church, where there was an image of the Blessed Virgin. The infant Jesus left the arms of the Blessed Virgin, and came to Gerard, and game him a beautiful loaf of white bread. Gerard carried the loaf home. His mother asked him where he god it. He answered that a child had given it to him. He went to this church many times, and each time the infant Jesus came and played with him, and gave him another loaf. When he was seven years old he saw other people going up to the altar to receive Holy Communion. When he came to the altar the priest told him to go back. This made him very sorrowful. The next night the great Archangel St. Michael came to him, and gave him Holy Communion. If God has a great love for children, he will take great care of them.

Leaves one misty-eyed. crucifix

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »

IV. HOW GOD TAKES CARE OF CHILDREN.
WHEN Blessed Sebastian was a little boy, there was a very dangerous sickness going about the country. Sebastian caught the sickness. There was fear lest others should catch the sickness from him. So he was not allowed to remain in the house. He was carried out into a part of the country where nobody was living, and he was left by himself in a poor little hut. Every day some bread was taken and left near the door of the hut, that he might come out and eat it. One day he felt as if he was dying. The sickness had made a swelling come on his head. This swelling gave him frightful pain. He was lying on the ground dying. The door of the hut was open. At this moment a great frightful wolf, which had come down from the mountains, walked in through the door. The wolf came up to little Sebastian, who thought he was going to be eaten up by the beast. But the wolf, instead of eating him up, lifted up its paw and scratched at the swelling on his head, and then went away. As soon as the swelling had been scratched by the wolf it began to bleed. The moment the swelling began to bleed, he felt better, and in a short time was quite well. How good God is to the poor little children. Other people leave them, but God never leaves them. There was nobody to cure that little boy, so God sent the wolf to cure him.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.[/b

Isaiah 55:8-9
I started to feel how frightened the little boy would have been;  all alone , sick and neglected as it were;  as if that was not enough, a  huge, wild  and frightening beast came a calling. That is why I posted the above post.
God's ways are certainly not our ways and many times we do not comprehend the reason behind His actions. We accept them because we know that He knows best  crucifix

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »

It truly gives one a sense of the difference of God. Thanks odhiambo!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss « previous next »
Jump to: