Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700900 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »

'Marah was a fountain of most bitter water: Moses cast wood into it and it became sweet. For water without the preaching of the Cross of the Lord is of no avail for future salvation, but, after it has been consecrated by the mystery of the saving cross, it is made suitable for the use of the spiritual layer and of the cup of salvation. As, then, Moses, that is, the prophet, cast wood into that fountain, so, too, the priest utters over this font the proclamation of the Lord's cross, and the water is made sweet for the purpose of grace.'

St. Ambrose of Milan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »

'We must say to ourselves, "O Lord, Thou hast wrought all our works in us." [Is. 26:12] Because this is really so you must attribute every good work to Him and not to yourself. Bear in mind that "you in your own might and in the strength of your own hand" [c.f. Deut. 8:17] have not attained to all the good things you possess. "It is the Lord who made us and not we ourselves." [c.f. Ps. 99:3]'

St. Bonaventure

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Poche

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 07, 2014, 05:11:26 AM »

"Consider all the past as nothing, and say, like David: Now I begin to love my God."
- St. Francis de Sales
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:01 AM »

One can do this every day, in fact every hour.. or even every moment, no?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »

'We must never trust ourselves, for it is the devil's way first to get us to feel secure, and then to make us fall.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »

'Keep your heart in peace and let nothing trouble you, not even your faults. You must humble yourself and amend them peacefully, without being discouraged or cast down, for God's dwelling is in peace.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: August 25, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »

'God is the source of every virtue, as the sun is of daylight.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:27 AM »

'Garrulousness is the platform from which vainglory preaches itself. . . Silence on the other hand is the mother of prayer. It frees the prisoner; it guards the divine flame; it watches over reasoning; it protects the sense of penitence.

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: September 01, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

'Let us imagine our confusion when we appear before God and understand the reasons why He sent us the crosses we accept so unwillingly. The death of a child will then be seen as its rescue from some great evil had it lived, separation from the woman you love the means of saving you from an unhappy marriage, a severe illness the reason for many years of life afterwards, loss of money the means of saving your soul from eternal loss. So what are we worried about?

God is looking after us and yet we are full of anxiety! We trust ourselves to a doctor because we suppose he knows his business. He orders an operation which involves cutting away part of our body and we accept it. We are grateful to him and pay him a large fee because we judge he would not act as he does unless the remedy were necessary, and we must rely on his skill. Yet we are unwilling to treat God in the same way! It looks as if we do not trust His wisdom and are afraid He cannot do His job properly. We allow ourselves to be operated on by a man who may easily make a mistake -- a mistake which may cost us our life -- and protest when God sets to work on us.'

St. Claude de la Colombiere

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 12, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »

"Be careful not to admit into your society those delicate and sensitive people who are afraid of the
slightest pin-prick, who cry out and complain at the least pain, who know nothing of the hair-shirt, the
discipline or other instruments of penance, and who mingle, with their fashionable devotions, a most
refined fastidiousness and a most studied lack of mortification."

St. Louis Marie de Montfort, 'Letter to Friends of the Cross'

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2014, 05:44:26 AM »

Without mortification there is not enough grace..

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 17, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »

"It is better that the truth be known than that scandal be covered up."

St. Augustine

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

Amen! Kyrie eleison!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:51 PM »

What prayer could be more true before God the Father than that which the Son, who is Truth, uttered with His own lips?
Saint John Chrysostom

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

'Ever keep the fire of charity burning on the altar of your heart.'

St. Paul of the Cross

A good quote for Spiritual Communions!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »

'Ever keep the fire of charity burning on the altar of your heart.'

St. Paul of the Cross

A good quote for Spiritual Communions!

Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: