Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705508 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 12, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »

Ephesians 1: 3 states:     
               Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ     
               with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, as he chose us in him, before the     
               formation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him.
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »

Thank you, that is one of my favorite quotes.  Wouldn't it be nice if we all opened our correspondences, emails, tweets, etc. with blessings and thanksgivings to God for all That He has given and continues to give us.

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

We need to make our ways of speaking and conversation Christian and toss off the dust of the world's method!  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #675 on: July 20, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »

'There are two cries in man, the cry of the angel and the cry of the beast. The cry of the angel is prayer; the cry of the beast is sin. Those who do not pray, stoop towards the earth, like a mole trying to make a hole to hide itself in. They are all earthly, all brutish, and think of nothing but temporal things, . . . like that miser who was receiving the last Sacraments the other day; when they gave him a silver crucifix to kiss, he said, "That cross weighs a full ten ounces." If. . . the poor lost souls, notwithstanding their sufferings, could worship, there would be no more Hell. Alas! they had a heart to love God with, a tongue to bless Him with; that was their destiny. And now they are condemned to curse Him through all eternity. . .'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: July 23, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »

'If we find nothing in the world to please us, we ought to be pleased by this very not finding anything to please us.'

St. Philip Neri

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 24, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »

The Book of Hosea: Chapter 10 Verse 12         

"Sow for yourselves justice,     
                  reap the fruit of piety;     
                  Break up for yourselves a new field,     
                  for it is time to seek the Lord,     
                  till he come and rain down justice upon you."       

littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons littlepigeons
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: July 27, 2015, 05:24:11 AM »

'The proof that a man does not love God and His Christ lies in the fact that He does not keep His commandments.'

St. Basil the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »

'St. Augustin says heresies are embraced only by those who, had they persevered in the faith, would be lost by the irregularity of their lives.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: July 31, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »

Note -- Corrected the last quote.

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 01, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »

This is a prayer instead of a quote:

St. Dominic

Beloved Father Dominic, you followed in the footsteps of the poor Christ as a humble "watchdog of the Lord" preaching by day and praying by night.  Like Jesus, you converted sinners, healed the sick and raised the dead to life.  To teach sound doctrine you founded an order of preachers and doctors.  To exemplify heroic charity and self-sacrifice you raided up an army of martyrs.  To perpetuate prayer in the Church you raised up a legion of cloistered nuns.  Gentle Father, obtain for me the grace to live and die a loyal, practicing Catholic and grant me the favor I now ask
(name petition).
 Good Father Dominic, help me!

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: August 01, 2015, 05:25:35 AM »

St. Dominic, help us!  crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: August 01, 2015, 05:43:51 AM »

'Even if the whole universe holds communion with the Patriarch, I will not communicate with him. For I know from the writings of the holy Apostle Paul: the Holy Spirit declares that even angels would be anathema (Galatians 1:8) if they should begin to preach another Gospel, introducing some new teaching.'

St. Maximus the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: August 02, 2015, 04:52:02 AM »

'Pray with great confidence, with confidence based upon the goodness and infinite generosity of God and upon the promises of Jesus Christ. God is a spring of living water which flows unceasingly into the hearts of those who pray.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

I have a question for folks.

What sort of confidence is good confidence and what sort is presumption?

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 02, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »

'Pray with great confidence, with confidence based upon the goodness and infinite generosity of God and upon the promises of Jesus Christ. God is a spring of living water which flows unceasingly into the hearts of those who pray.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

I have a question for folks.

What sort of confidence is good confidence and what sort is presumption?

Confidence based upon the goodness and infinite generosity of God and the promises of Jesus Christ is good confidence.  Confidence not based on these things but on what we are unworthy of or on what is not due to us is presumption.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:06 AM »

Thank you Therese that answer is quite helpful to me!  Cheesy

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 03, 2015, 04:30:38 AM »

Thank you Therese that answer is quite helpful to me!  Cheesy

You are very welcome, Shin!  If we look up the word presumption, we might even come up with a more helpful answer than the one I gave you.  God bless you!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: