Saint of the day and Feast days.

<< < (81/332) > >>

odhiambo:
Quote from: Shin on May 03, 2011, 07:36:43 AM

I remember the stories of the martyrs of Uganda well. :D

St. Athanasius is very popular nowadays. He persisted in the right faith despite tremendous corruption everywhere.

Welcome back Shin!
Good to see u  ;D

Patricia:
Odhiambo, thank you for the post about the holy martyrs of Uganda.  Brave Catholics!  Have you read ' Left to tell' by Immaculee Ilibagiza ?  A very touching story.

odhiambo:
Quote from: Patricia on May 03, 2011, 09:40:59 AM

Odhiambo, thank you for the post about the holy martyrs of Uganda.  Brave Catholics!  Have you read ' Left to tell' by Immaculee Ilibagiza ?  A very touching story.

I am afraid not Patricia.
I have not heard of the book. Since you have recommended it,will look for it it the bookshops.

odhiambo:
May 4

Today we remember
Saint Godehard of Hildesheim
One saint among many remembered on this day.

odhiambo:
Saint Godehard of Hildesheim

Also known as Godard, Godehard or Gothard.
Our Saint today was born in Reichersdorf, in Bavaria, Germany. He grew up among priests as his father worked with the canons of Niederaltaich Abbey. It followed that he himself wanted to live the life he was accustomed to seeing. He was ordained a Benedictine priest in 990. He eventually became Abbot of Niederaltaich Abbey. As Abbot, he was instrumental in the reintroduction of the Benedictine Rule at Niederaltaich.
His success led to his appointments in other positions. Emperor Saint Henry II appointed him bishop of Hildesheim in 1022. He was also asked to reform monasteries.
The saint was renown for his charitable works.
Saint Godard died of natural causes in 1038. A chapel, Saint Gotthard, was constructed in his honor and in turn, Saint Gotthard Pass in Switzerland, was named after this chapel.
Saint Gotthard was canonized in 1131 by Pope Innocent II.

Saint Gotthard,
Pray for us

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page