Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2017, 03:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Giving up Television to Save your Soul 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Giving up Television to Save your Soul  (Read 39671 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »

I was at a neighbors place today and their tv was on. The constant noise was grating on my nerves since I've got rid of cable.  Cheesy

That is a very good sign Patricia.  Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
pebbles

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family.  He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first.  Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you  would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for  someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his  pictures.

His name?.... .. .    

We just  call him 'TV.'

(Note: This  should be required reading for every household!)

He has a wife  now....We call her 'Computer.'

[mod edit: minor edit for formatting/word replacement for modesty]

And I believe they now have children...they are called "Cellphones"  Grin Grin Grin

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family.  He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first.  Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you  would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for  someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his  pictures.

His name?.... .. .    

We just  call him 'TV.'

(Note: This  should be required reading for every household!)

He has a wife  now....We call her 'Computer.'

[mod edit: minor edit for formatting/word replacement for modesty]

And I believe they now have children...they are called "Cellphones"  Grin Grin Grin

big grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »

Grin

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

And I believe they now have children...they are called "Cellphones"

Too true!  Grin

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Alphonsus Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »

Greetings to all. I'm very pleased to have found this forum and particularly this thread, as I'm fully convinced that television is among the most toxic of all inventions. It was this conviction that led me to read Neil Postman's devastating critique of television, called Amusing Ourselves to Death. Here's an excerpt:

There is no more disturbing consequence of the electronic and graphic revolution than this: that the world as given to us through television seems natural, not bizarre. For the loss of the sense of the strange is a sign of adjustment, and the extent to which we have adjusted is a measure of the extent to which we have been changed. Our culture's adjustment to the epistemology of television is by now all but complete; we have so thoroughly accepted its definitions of truth, knowledge, and reality that irrelevance seems to us to be filled with import, and incoherence seems eminently sane. And if some of our institutions seem not to fit the template of the times, why it is they, and not the template, that seem to us disordered and strange....Television is the soma of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the [impurity], and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

Of those of you in this thread who decided to give up tv, have you since held to this renunciation?

[mod: minor quote edit for content]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:36:04 PM by Shin » Logged
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

Welcome to the forums Alphonsus, Jr.! What a fine name you have there.

Whenever I think of Alphonsus, I think 'Maria'.

I hope you have a great time here and enjoy talking about the inspirations of the saints. This place is a little quieter than some, a little slower pace, but we have our daily cup of coffee and prayers and some holy folks here that can truly bring one a feeling of peace of soul rather than the temporary thrill of conflicts that so often occur elsewhere. I think you'll truly find it a fine place. Cheesy

There're some restrictions on links and some positive encouragements towards virtue in conversation in the announcements I always remind new folks to read. Cheesy

I'm very glad to hear what you have to say about giving up television.

We truly need more folks to get the message out there on it. What an artificial life technology creates.. and the more artificial it is the more it separates us from living the life God designed for us.. The natural family, the natural Christian life, the natural Christian society.. recovering that is a goal we all have to seek so we can live the truly good life.  Grin

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Alphonsus Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »

Welcome to the forums Alphonsus, Jr.! What a fine name you have there.

Whenever I think of Alphonsus, I think 'Maria'.

I hope you have a great time here and enjoy talking about the inspirations of the saints. This place is a little quieter than some, a little slower pace, but we have our daily cup of coffee and prayers and some holy folks here that can truly bring one a feeling of peace of soul rather than the temporary thrill of conflicts that so often occur elsewhere. I think you'll truly find it a fine place. Cheesy

There're some restrictions on links and some positive encouragements towards virtue in conversation in the announcements I always remind new folks to read. Cheesy

I'm very glad to hear what you have to say about giving up television.

We truly need more folks to get the message out there on it. What an artificial life technology creates.. and the more artificial it is the more it separates us from living the life God designed for us.. The natural family, the natural Christian life, the natural Christian society.. recovering that is a goal we all have to seek so we can live the truly good life.  Grin

Many thanks. I look forward to peaceful and holy discussions.
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

Welcome to the Saints forum, Alphonsus Jr!  Cheesy

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Alphonsus Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

Welcome to the Saints forum, Alphonsus Jr!  Cheesy

Many thanks, Patricia.  Smiley
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

Welcome Alphonsus Jr.

George ( Haji )
Alphonsus Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:54 AM »

Welcome Alphonsus Jr.

It seems like a good group. Many thanks to all.  Cheesy
Stella Matutina

My Jesus, mercy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »

It's good to see you here, Alphonsus!  Smiley

As to the thread...it is quite the challenge! Giving up television was very easy, as there was nothing on it that I found entertaining. Giving up movies will be harder, as there are movies that I feel (but may well be wrong) are done in a very artistic, loving manner, which give glory to God rather than trying to deny His existence.

I would do well to keep this quote in mind, at all times:
"For all of us, even morally permissible entertainment is expected to be limited. Leisure does not mean being constantly entertained."

Thanks for this thread, Shin!
JoyfulMother
Established

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »

I am curious if any one here has wanted to give up television but had a family opposed to it?

I myself find the noise horrible and refuse to let my kids watch it after school.  Some days I break down and allow 1/2 hour - but then I find the shows annoying and stupid.

My hubby watches a lot of TV and is not willing to consider getting rid of it.  If I want to spend time with him in the evenings, I need to watch TV.  There are only 2 or 3 shows left I will watch - crime/cop shows all of them - because in them I don't usually have to worry about impurity.

If it was up to me, I would throw it out today.

ANd I find that secular novels - whose plots read like TV series - addict me as much as TV.  I can sit and read for hours.  That will be harder for me to break than the TV habit!  I am having problems finding anything good to read, though.  I have been asking the homeschooling mothers at my TLM what they read and will be taking my recommendations from them.  Secular literature is beginning to bother me like TV does.

I also am struggling with how much time I spend on line.  I read mostly Catholic stuff, but I am currently trying to discern if any of it actually helps me.

This is my first post here - so HI to all of you!  ( I have been lurking for a while.)   

I am debating about giving up other forums that seem to thrive on controversy.

Please, all of you, pray for me.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »

You have our prayers! Welcome to the forums JoyfulMother!

Very glad to have you here!  flower

That 'thriving on controversy'.. I know very well what you mean. Everyone knows how to start it. It draws people in, it makes for more members I think, it does a lot of things.. but...

There's something wrong with it isn't there? No? Something.. quite wrong..

And I know what you mean about the secular books.. After the TV goes, then a rather similar sort of search begins.. Where are there any decent books? .. Oh dear.. You keep and further back.. And still to some degree..

Without the Faith.. Well.. There's a problem. Even some of the olders authors who are Catholics aren't necessarily virtuous enough Catholics to know how to write properly..

There's virtuous entertainment and then there's entertainment by vice.. There's entertainment with virtue as its foundation and that's so rare.. so very rare.. And there's entertainment that seeks to simply stimulate the base passions, rather than having any value in virtue or truly in artistry..

It's like hmm. . nowadays the music, they play intense sounds that stimulate a passion, and then they have no virtue, so they just play it over and over again and wear it out, and make it too much of the one.. The sound may stimulate one passion or another.. and then the words contribute and hmm.. It just doesn't come together for the good of the soul does it? It simply isn't virtuous and good..

The more we stay with the saints.. and surround ourselves with them.. The better we acquire a feel for what is truly virtuous and healthful for the soul and mind and body..

And in this time we are severly overstimulated and overentertained, and escaping from that habit of life, one that is a vice.. well, it can be difficult.

At least here, although we all live far apart, we're all spiritually close in the Communion of Saints and we can support each other in trying to live the simpler more virtuous life.

I'm hoping to move soon. To be able to garden outside again is going to be a great help to me. Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Stella Matutina

My Jesus, mercy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

I am debating about giving up other forums that seem to thrive on controversy.

This is exactly what I have done. There is nothing fruitful in constant arguing and strife. You can be assured of my prayers, JoyfulMother.  Smiley

Do you do a lot of spiritual reading? I used to devour secular fiction novels in much the same way as you do before I came to the Catholic faith. Since I knew absolutely nothing about Catholicism, I had to do a lot of spiritual reading, and that completely cured me of wanting to read secular novels. They just weren't worth the time to me anymore, when I had so much spiritual reading to catch up on, haha! So that's one possible cure.

As to television, I don't have much advice to give you, other than praying for your spouse. I am not currently married, so it wouldn't be prudent for me to dispense advice on how best to get your husband away from the TV.  Wink
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »

Welcome Stella and Joyful mother.

"My television is the Tabernacle."
Blessed Mother Theresa
 Smiley

George ( Haji )
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Giving up Television to Save your Soul « previous next »
Jump to: