Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:44:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Pro-Life News & Talk  |  Topic: House passes historic ban on taxpayer funding for abortion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: House passes historic ban on taxpayer funding for abortion  (Read 4661 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 4, 2011 (LifeSiteNews Excerpts by Kathleen Gilbert) - The House on Wednesday afternoon voted 251-175 to pass H.R. 3, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, which makes permanent and universal the annually-approved Hyde amendment. In its current form, the Hyde amendment, which bans federal funding for abortion in cases of rape and incest, requires annual approval.

The bill was authored by veteran pro-life leader Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) and sported at least 227 co-sponsors by the time of the vote. “When public funding and facilitation for abortion isn’t available, children have a greater chance at survival,” said Smith in the general debate before the final vote this afternoon.

“I remember the late Congressman Henry Hyde being moved literally to tears ... when he learned that the Hyde amendment had likely saved the lives of more than one million babies, who today are getting on with their lives, going to school, forging a career,” he added.

In the final vote, all Republicans either voted for or sponsored the bill; 16 Democrats favored it as well (Rep. Altmire, Boren, Costello, Critz, Cuellar, Donnelly, Holden, Kaptur, Kildee, Lipinski, Matheson, McIntyre, Peterson, Rahall, Ross of Arizona, and Shuler).

The bill is expected to meet with stiffer odds in the Democrat-led Senate, which in March struck down a measure to de-fund abortion giant Planned Parenthood that had strongly passed in the House. President Obama has already threatened to veto H.R. 3.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Maria Margaret

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »

Wait, so let me get this straight-our tax money is no longer going to funding abortions? That's wonderful news! Tax payers will no longer have to worry about their money going to that! Assuming I read that right-which I may not have.... Undecided

'Whatsoever we do, we can never be true children of Mary, unless we are humble.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »

Well, not yet.

This is step one!

And it has to pass the Senate and past a veto threat.. so..

This would only be regarding the most obvious funding of abortion, and not the less so, such as "medicine" which can cause abortions, or fungible funding, that is funding places like Planned Parenthood, purportedly for other reasons. Which then of course frees up their funds for abortion, which in any case is a big money-maker for them rather than a cost.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Maria Margaret

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »

Well, at least we've moved forward one step! Baby step by baby step, right?  Smiley

Thanks for the clarification!

'Whatsoever we do, we can never be true children of Mary, unless we are humble.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

Step by step!  cheers  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Pro-Life News & Talk  |  Topic: House passes historic ban on taxpayer funding for abortion « previous next »
Jump to: