Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Pro-Life News & Talk  |  Topic: Malta prepares for Referendum on Divorce 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Malta prepares for Referendum on Divorce  (Read 10096 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »

(LifeSiteNews Excerpts) – As the tiny Mediterranean nation of Malta prepares for a referendum on the legalization of divorce this Saturday, its bishops have called on the overwhelmingly Catholic country to uphold the permanent bond of marriage, which they say is essential to human dignity.

The teachings of Christ “leave no doubt that divorce is the wrong solution – a solution upon which a stable society cannot be built,” wrote Archbishop Paul Cremona of Malta, Bishop Mario Grech of Gozo, and Bishop Annetto Depasquale, in a May 21st pastoral letter entitled ‘Opting in Favour of Permanent Marriage.’

Malta, whose population of approximately 412,000 is 95% Catholic, is reportedly currently one of only two countries in the world that prohibit divorce, along with the Philippines.

“By his vote, the citizen will either build or destroy,” the bishops wrote.  “A choice in favour of permanent marriage is an act of faith in the family, built upon a bond of love which cannot be severed; whereas a choice in favour of divorce leads to the further destruction of marriage and the family and, as a consequence, the destruction of values and the quality of life.”

Marriage “goes hand in hand with the dignity of mankind” and “should, by its very nature, be a permanent bond,” they continue.  “Marriage and the family form the natural core which is essential for a person to live and grow within an atmosphere of genuine love, as well as for the building of a strong society.”

While those favoring legalization had been winning in the polls, supporters have fallen in numbers in recent days and the vote is now too close to call.

The bishops’ pastoral letter followed strong comments in a May 15th sermon from Bishop Mario Grech of Gozo, who warned of “wolves in sheep’s clothing” seeking to bring divorce into the country by pretending to be Catholic so as to deceive the faithful.  The bishop said any Catholic who rejects the teachings of Christ cannot receive Holy Communion.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

We must pray for Malta.  cross prayer
The little island has 365 Catholic churches. One for each day of the year.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »

Now that's a beautiful thought.  Grin

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

I have a friend who runs a small guest house out there. I've never been but would love to see all those beautiful churches and the grand architecture.  Cheesy

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »

I'm moving to Malta. Smiley

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

Grin

Maria Margaret

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »

I feel silly but...where's Malta....and who runs it?   Huh?

'Whatsoever we do, we can never be true children of Mary, unless we are humble.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »

This is the first time I'm hearing of Malta too.  Grin

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »

I bet Martin knows a bit about it.  Grin

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »

Don't feel dumb, I had to look it up, too. It's a country/large island in the Mediterranean Sea just south of Italy. It's a republic in it's own right.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Maria Margaret

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »

Ooh, okay! Thank you, Brigid!

'Whatsoever we do, we can never be true children of Mary, unless we are humble.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »

Very sad news from Malta, it seems the pro-divorce folks got the edge.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »

Sad

martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »

Very sad news from Malta, it seems the pro-divorce folks got the edge.

I read the news last night and It's very disappointing.
IMHO it's a lot to do with modern catechises. Many Catholics don't seem to recognise the sacramental side of marriage and believe it is merely a worldly type agreement between two people and therefore lessening the significance of its permanence.

St Joseph pray for families.   cross prayer

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »

Hmm, I think that's an insightful statement Martin!   Cheesy

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »

Hmm, I think that's an insightful statement Martin!   Cheesy

Sure is.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Pro-Life News & Talk  |  Topic: Malta prepares for Referendum on Divorce « previous next »
Jump to: