Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2  (Read 570778 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »

I was hoping someone else would do it for me, and so I searched and found it and here it is.  Cheesy

I am reminded of a saying about: Anybody, Nobody, Somebody, and Everybody. Some years back I used to see such sayings adorned a  number of office walls in the city.

" An important job had to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done." !  Grin

That belongs on a joke thread!  happy roll

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

Feel free! I just didn't want to type it up at the moment, that's all. Cheesy

I have linked them to this page. Easier that way.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

I am not really enthused about the particular translation of St. John Climacus' Ladder that I have. There's another translation out there but it's pricey so I keep holding off on getting it. But even the few excerpts of it that I have read sound more sonorous.

The other edition is out of print at the moment but should be back in it in a month, so I am hoping for the best. I have never read the book front to back, just excerpts. I should.

But when I have two of them, yes I think I shall have to pick it up, it will be interesting to compare. I wonder if I might find it in its original language online one of these days too.

I always wish I could provide folks with a ton of books by the saints in Latin and English, for free, or at charity/cost prices from a charity press. I know that there are few people with good sense with money, because if there were this would have been long ago done, in English and other languages, and be a centerpiece of spiritual work, from the heart of the Church.

On the other hand, Providence guides all things and, there is 'pearls before swine' and 'shaking the dust off one's feet' to consider, or how God can decide not to give truth to those who will treat it sinfully, and Pope St. Gregory the Great's words. I come back to this at times and think on it, again and again, wondering at our role here.

If people knew the true value of these works they would gather them up themselves, everywhere, and be understood as priceless. Without even comparison to gold or diamonds or material things.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »

I am not really enthused about the particular translation of St. John Climacus' Ladder that I have. There's another translation out there but it's pricey so I keep holding off on getting it. But even the few excerpts of it that I have read sound more sonorous.

It does give some idea Shin, of what he meant.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »

March 31
Today we remember
Saint Guy of Pomposa
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

Saint Guy of Pomposa
Guy, sometimes called Guido, was born at Ravenna, Italy. As a youth he was said to be meticulous about his appearance and his clothing until he realized what was really important in life.
He gave out all his possessions to the poor and went to Rome where he was tonsured. He spent three years with a hermit named Martin on an island in the Po River. Then he joined the community at Pomposa Abbey near Ferrara.
Guy became abbot of Saint Severus at Ravenna and abbot of Pomposa as well. He attracted so many disciples to his community by his sanctity and wisdom that he had to build for them another monastery. Guy retired late in life to live as a hermit.
He died in 1046 at Borgo San Donnino, while on his way to Piacenza where he had been summoned by Emperor Henry III who wanted to consult him.
Saint Guy of Pomposa
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

Funny name for a town! Cheesy

St. Guy pray for us!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Yeah !
Too close for comfort to pompous; pomposity Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

Yeah !
Too close for comfort to pompous; pomposity Smiley

Haha! That's what I was thinking! St. Guy of the Pompadour!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »

St. Catherine of Palma and St. Hugh of Grenoble pray for us!

St. Catherine of Palma

'Orphan who lived an unhappy childhood in the home of her paternal uncle. Felt a call to the religious life at age 15, but her confessor convinced her to wait a little. Domestic servant in Palma, Spain where she learned to read and write. Joined the Canonesses of Saint Augustine at Saint Mary Magdalen convent in Palma. Subjected to many strange phenomena and mystical experiences including visits from angels, Saint Anthony of Padua and Saint Catherine of Siena. Had the gifts of visions and prophecy. Assaulted spiritually and physically by dark powers, she sometimes went into ecstatic trances for days at a time; her wounds from this abuse were treated by Saint Cosmas and Saint Damian. During her last years she was almost continually in ecstasy. Foretold the date of her death.'

St. Hugh of Grenoble

'Son of a soldier named Odilo, a man known for his Christian life, and who later became a Cistercian monk; his mother was known for her life of prayer and alms-giving. Uncle of Saint Hugh of Bonnevaux. Hugh was an exceptionally good student as a child. Canon in the cathedral of Valence, France at age 25. Bishop of Grenoble, France in 1080 at age 27, consecrated by Pope Gregory VII; he served there for 52 years. He went to Grenoble as a reformer, but after two years, convinced that he had not improved the lives or the holiness of his clergy, he resigned and retired to become a Benedictine monk at Chaise-Dieu in Auvergne, France; after a year of this, Pope Gregory ordered him back to Grenoble. This time his work and his example paid off – large crowds attended his preaching, his clergy brought new zeal to their ministry, the poor were cared for, and religious life had a new start in his diocese. He gave land to Saint Bruno for La Grande Chartruse abbey, and helped him found the Carthusians. Gave both his mother and his 100 year old father their Last Rites. A frequent sufferer of head pain and headaches, which led to his patronage of the problem. '

- P.S.I.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »

- P.S.I.

Huh?

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »

Patron Saints' Index

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »

Patron Saints' Index

Now why, why, did I not think along that line?
I thought of everything but  Grin
Thanks !

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »

A new month,
The month of April.
April is traditionally dedicated to
The Blessed Sacrament.
And Sundays, which today happens to be, is dedicated to:
The Resurrection and the Holy and Undivided Trinity.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »

April 1
One of the Saints we remember to day is:
Saint Macarius
the Wonder Worker

Today is also
Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion
i.e. Passion Sunday

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2012, 12:24:56 AM »

Saint Macarius the Wonder Worker
Macarius, also known as Christopher, was born in the 9th century at Constantinople . He was baptized Christopher. He became a monk at Pelekete Monastery, taking the name Macarius. In time, he was elected abbot and became known for his miracles which earned him the name “the Wonder Worker’. Macarius was imprisoned and tortured by Emperor Leo the Armenian, for his opposition to iconoclasm. He was released by Leo’s Successor, Emperor Michael the Stammerer. When he refused Michael’s demands that he support the iconoclastic heresy, he was exiled to the island of Aphusia off the coast of Bithynia. He died there on 18 August 850.
He was Canonized Pre-Congregation.
Saint Macarius
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 92 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 « previous next »
Jump to: