Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233164 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2000 on: April 13, 2016, 07:51:03 AM »

'When our soul begins to lose its appetite for earthly beauties, a spirit of listlessness is apt to steal into it. This prevents us from taking pleasure in study and teaching, and from feeling any strong desire for the blessings prepared for us in the life to come; it also leads us to disparage this transient life excessively, as not possessing anything of value. It even depreciates spiritual knowledge itself, either on the grounds that many others have already acquired it or because it cannot teach us anything perfect. To avoid this passion, which dejects and enervates us, we must confine the mind within very narrow limits, devoting ourselves solely to the remembrance of God. Only in this way will the intellect be able to regain its original fervor and escape this senseless dissipation.'

St. Diadochos of Photiki

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2001 on: April 15, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »

'Blessed is the man, that hath not gone in the counsel of the impious,
& hath not stood in the way of sinners, and hath not sit in the chair of pestilence:
But his will is the way of our Lord, and in his law he will meditate day and night.

And he shall be as a tree, that is planted nigh to the streams of waters, which shall give his fruit in his time:
And his leaf shall not fall: and all things whatsoever he shall do, shall prosper.

The impious not so: but as dust, which the wind driveth from the face of the earth.'

Psalm 1:1-5

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: April 16, 2016, 03:54:27 AM »

'Be a vase, which thou fillest at the source and at the source dost drink from.

Although thou hadst drawn thy love from God, who is the Source of living water, didst thou not drink it continually in Him thy vase would remain empty.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2003 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »

'Listen, all my enemies in the world, for I am not addressing my friends! Listen, all you clerics, archbishops, and bishops and all of lower rank in the Church! Listen, all you religious, of whatever order you are! Listen, you kings and princes of the earth and all you who serve! Listen, you women, princesses, queens, and all ladies and maidservants! All you inhabitants of the world, of whatever condition or rank you are, whether great or small, listen to these words that I myself, who created you, now speak to you! I complain, because you have withdrawn from me and given the devil your will, and you obey his suggestions. Truly, I have redeemed you with my blood, and I ask for nothing but your souls. Therefore, return to me with humility, and I will receive you as my children.'

The Lord, from the revelations of St. Bridget of Sweden

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »

'The man who renounces the world from fear is like burning incense, that begins with fragrance but ends in smoke. He who leaves the world through hope of reward is like a millstone, that always moves in the same way.

But he who withdraws from the world out of love for God has obtained fire at the very outset; and, like fire set to fuel, it soon kindles a larger fire.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2005 on: April 19, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »

'Oh, if you could but see the mystery of the altar as it really is after the Consecration, you would see Jesus Christ on the Cross, making oblation to His Father of His Wounds, His Blood, His Death, for the salvation of your soul and of the whole world. You would see the angels, who are prostrate around the altar, astonished, almost appalled, at so much love lavished upon indifferent and ungrateful creatures. You would hear the Heavenly Father, as He contemplated His divine Son, speaking to you as He spoke on Tabor: "This is My Beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased; adore Him, love Him, and serve Him with all your heart."'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2006 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:36 AM »

'How sweet has it been to me to be deprived of the delights of a frivolous world! What incomparable joy I have felt after a privation once so dreaded.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: April 21, 2016, 06:30:13 AM »

'People hate the truth for the sake of whatever it is they love more than the truth. They love truth when it shines warmly on them, and hate it when it rebukes them.'

St. Augustine

A quote folks should think seriously about the consequences of!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2008 on: April 23, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »

'Armed with prayer, the saints sustained a glorious warfare and vanquished all their enemies. By prayer, also, they appeased the wrath of God, and obtained from Him all they desired.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2009 on: April 24, 2016, 03:01:03 AM »

'Yes, the priest stands at the altar, the priest stands there and makes a long supplication, not in order that fire from heaven may consume the things that lie to open view, but that grace, lighting on the Sacrifice, may thereby in flame the souls of all, and show them brighter than silver purified in the fire. Art thou ignorant that the soul of man could never bear this fire of the Sacrifice, but that all would be utterly consumed, were not the aid of the grace of God abundant? For if one would but consider how great a thing it is for a mortal, and one still clothed with flesh and blood, to be enabled to be nigh to that blessed and immortal nature, he would then see how great an honor the grace of the Spirit has vouchsafed to priests.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: April 25, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »

'Who, says St. Bernard, shall seek in a sink the limpid water of the spring? Shall I, adds the saint, seek counsel from the man that knows not how to give counsel to himself? Speaking of the bad example of princes, Plutarch says, that it poisons not a single cup, but the public fountain; and thus, because all draw from the fountain, all are poisoned. This may be said with greater truth of the bad example of priests; hence Pope Eugene III has said that bad Superiors are the principal causes of the sins of inferiors.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2011 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »

'He who hates the passions gets rid of their causes. But he who is attracted by their causes is attacked by the passions even though he does not wish it.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2012 on: April 28, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »

'Blessed the one who manages his possessions in accordance with God's will and has not been condemned by God the Saviour as a lover of money without compassion for his neighbour.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2013 on: April 29, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »

'To attain the knowledge of God is impossible for those who are still under the control of their passions. Therefore they cannot attain the salvation they hope for as they have not obtained any knowledge of God.

He who fails to attain this end is clearly subject to the charge of being ignorant of God, and ignorance of God is shown by a man's manner of life.'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2014 on: April 30, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

'The perfection of a Christian consists in knowing how to mortify himself for the love of Christ.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2015 on: April 30, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »

'That which man judges to be perfect, in the sight of God is defect. For all the works of man, which appear faultless when he considers them feels, remembers, wills and understands them, are, if he does not refer them to God, corrupt and sinful. For, to the perfection of our works it is necessary that they be wrought in us but not of us. In the works of God it is he that is the prime mover, and not man.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: