Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints  (Read 65156 times)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »

Blessed Jolenta (Yolanda) of Poland
(d. 1298)

Jolenta was the daughter of Bela IV, King of Hungary. Her sister, St. Kunigunde, was married to the Duke of Poland. Jolenta was sent to Poland where her sister was to supervise her education. Eventually married to Boleslaus, the Duke of Greater Poland, Jolenta was able to use her material means to assist the poor, the sick, widows and orphans. Her husband joined her in building hospitals, convents and churches so that he was surnamed "the Pious."

Upon the death of her husband and the marriage of two of her daughters, Jolenta and her third daughter entered the convent of the Poor Clares. War forced Jolenta to move to another convent where, despite her reluctance, she was made abbess.

So well did she serve her Franciscan sisters by word and example that her fame and good works continued to spread beyond the walls of the cloister. Her favorite devotion was the Passion of Christ. Indeed, Jesus appeared to her, telling her of her coming death. Many miracles, down to our own day, are said to have occurred at her grave.

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »

St. Anthony of Padua
(1195-1231)

The gospel call to leave everything and follow Christ was the rule of Anthony’s life. Over and over again God called him to something new in his plan. Every time Anthony responded with renewed zeal and self-sacrificing to serve his Lord Jesus more completely.

His journey as the servant of God began as a very young man when he decided to join the Augustinians in Lisbon, giving up a future of wealth and power to be a servant of God. Later, when the bodies of the first Franciscan martyrs went through the Portuguese city where he was stationed, he was again filled with an intense longing to be one of those closest to Jesus himself: those who die for the Good News.

So Anthony entered the Franciscan Order and set out to preach to the Moors. But an illness prevented him from achieving that goal. He went to Italy and was stationed in a small hermitage where he spent most of his time praying, reading the Scriptures and doing menial tasks.

The call of God came again at an ordination where no one was prepared to speak. The humble and obedient Anthony hesitantly accepted the task. The years of searching for Jesus in prayer, of reading sacred Scripture and of serving him in poverty, chastity and obedience had prepared Anthony to allow the Spirit to use his talents. Anthony’s sermon was astounding to those who expected an unprepared speech and knew not the Spirit’s power to give people words.

Recognized as a great man of prayer and a great Scripture and theology scholar, Anthony became the first friar to teach theology to the other friars. Soon he was called from that post to preach to the Albigensians in France, using his profound knowledge of Scripture and theology to convert and reassure those who had been misled by their denial of Christ's divinity and of the sacraments..

After he led the friars in northern Italy for three years, he made his headquarters in the city of Padua. He resumed his preaching and began wrtiting sermon notes to help other preachers.

Comment:
Anthony should be the patron of those who find their lives completely uprooted and set in a new and unexpected direction. Like all saints, he is a perfect example of turning one's life completely over to Christ. God did with Anthony as God pleased—and what God pleased was a life of spiritual power and brilliance that still attracts admiration today. He whom popular devotion has nominated as finder of lost objects found himself by losing himself totally to the providence of God.

Quote:
In his sermon notes, Anthony writes: "The saints are like the stars. In his providence Christ conceals them in a hidden place that they may not shine before others when they might wish to do so. Yet they are always ready to exchange the quiet of contemplation for the works of mercy as soon as they perceive in their heart the invitation of Christ."

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »

St. Albert Chmielowski
(1845-1916)

Born in Igolomia near Kraków as the eldest of four children in a wealthy family, he was christened Adam. During the 1864 revolt against Czar Alexander III, Adam’s wounds forced the amputation of his left leg.

His great talent for painting led to studies in Warsaw, Munich and Paris. Adam returned to Kraków and became a Secular Franciscan. In 1888 he took the name Albert when he founded the Brothers of the Third Order of Saint Francis, Servants to the Poor. They worked primarily with the homeless, depending completely on alms while serving the needy, regardless of age, religion or politics. A community of Albertine sisters was established later.

Pope John Paul II beatified him in 1983 and canonized him six years later.

Comment:
Reflecting on his own priestly vocation, Pope John Paul II wrote in 1996 that Brother Albert had played a role in its formation "because I found in him a real spiritual support and example in leaving behind the world of art, literature and the theater, and in making the radical choice of a vocation to the priesthood" (Gift and Mystery: On the Fiftieth Anniversay of My Priestly Ordination, p. 33). As a young priest, Karol Wojtyla repaid his debt of gratitude by writing The Brother of Our God, a play about Brother Albert’s life.

Quote:
The first reading at the canonization included Isaiah 58:6 (“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?”). The pope referred to this passage and said: “This is the theology of messianic liberation, which contains what we are accustomed to calling today the ‘option for the poor’.... In this tireless, heroic service on behalf of the marginalized and the poor, he [Albert] ultimately found his path. He found Christ. He took upon himself Christ’s yoke and burden; he did not become merely ‘one of those who give alms,’ but became the brother to those he served...” (L'Osservatore Romano 1989, Vol. 49, No. 9).

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »

June 18

Blessed Osanna of Mantua
Lay Dominican & Virgin

Blessed Osanna Andreassi was born at Mantua
in 1449 and received the habit of the Sisters of
Penance of St. Dominic as a young girl. With
great wisdom she blended the practice of good
works and the pursuit of secular occupations
with a life of contemplation. She enjoyed many
extraordinary mystical graces during her life
and many came to her for advice and
consolation. She died on June 18, 1505.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »

An interesting Blessed! I decided to look up further, and read from different sources that:

'Osanna Andreasi was born in Carbonarola, close to Mantua, in the magnificent palace of a very noble Italian family that originated in Hungary. Later the family moved to a smaller palace in Mantua. At age 5, while walking along the banks of the Po River, she heard a clear, firm voice that told her: “Life and death consist in loving God.” She entered into an ecstasy and was raised to Heaven by a splendorous Angel. He showed her the celestial hierarchy and told her, “To enter Heaven it is necessary to love God very much: See how all created things sing His glory and proclaim it to men.”'

'Soon afterwards our Lord Himself met her on the same spot in the form of a lovely child, with a crown of thorns upon His head, and bearing on His shoulders a heavy cross. "My beloved child," said He to Osanna, "I am the Son of the Virgin Mary and thy Creator. I have always loved children, because their hearts are pure. I willingly admit virgins as My spouses; I guard their virginity; and when they call upon me with the words, "O Good Jesus, I instantly come to their assistance." This vision was the call to Osanna to follow her Divine Spouse in the path of His sufferings, and she responded to it by an act of entire consecration of herself to His will.

It was her ardent desire to dedicate herself solemnly to God's service in some monastery ; but, after many negotiations for this object had failed, it was revealed to her that she was not to enter the cloister, but to sanctify herself in the world as a Tertiary of our Holy Order. This determination caused great grief to her parents ; nor was it until a dangerous illness had brought her to the brink of the grave that they would consent to her receiving the habit, which she at last did at the age of fourteen. It was not, however, permitted to her for a long series of years to make her solemn profession. She constantly longed for this happiness, but, understanding that the obstacles which were continually raised against it were ordained by God for her greater perfection, she humbly submitted herself to His Divine will. It was not until she had attained the age of fifty-five, that, in the last year of her life, she at length publicly bound herself by the vows of religion. She had, however, at the time of her clothing, made a private vow of obedience, and would never do the slightest thing without the leave of those who were placed over her.

Blessed Osanna was favoured with continual raptures and ecstasies in prayer, which she was unable to conceal from the busy eye of the curious, and these heavenly favours were made a constant subject of reproof and persecution. The other Tertiaries persisted in regarding them as nothing but a voluntary affectation of sanctity, and threatened to deprive her of the habit unless they ceased. They also murmured greatly because, as the fame of her sanctity spread, persons of rank thronged about her to ask her counsel or to gratify their curiosity. But Osanna's patience and humility were never in the least disturbed. Her Divine Spouse had made known to her, as in earlier times to Saint Catharine of Siena, and later to Blessed Margaret Mary, the secret of His Heart ; and we are expressly told that it was to that never-failing fountain of consolation that she had recourse whenever tribulation pressed heavily upon her. And, when prevented from approaching the Sacrament of Penance as often as she would have wished, she confessed her daily frailties to her good Jesus, as she loved to call Him.

The nuptials with the Beloved of her soul, which she so ardently desired to accomplish by her profession, and which were in that manner delayed for so many years, were mystically solemnized in the presence of the Mother of God and the whole court of Heaven.

This and other spiritual favours more and more increased the fire of Divine love which burnt within her and filled her with an equally ardent desire to suffer. Grieving that she could not be more conformed to the likeness of her crucified Lord, she one day cast herself at His feet, exclaiming : " O my only Love ! Must the thorns then be for Thee alone ; for Thee alone the nails and the cross ; and for me sweetness and consolation ? Ah ! not so. I will not share Thy glory unless Thou make me also share Thy pains." And thus for two years she incessantly besought the Eternal Goodness to grant her that which her soul longed after, a conformity of suffering. Then at length the crown of thorns was granted to her, and, later on, the sacred Stigmata. At each of these heavenly favours, the agony of her mortal frame increased to an almost inconceivable extent; yet still she was not satisfied. A longing arose in her heart to share in those unknown and awful sufferings which filled the heart of Jesus whilst He hung upon the Cross. Then, in answer to her prayer, her Divine Spouse plunged into her loving heart a long and terrible nail. The agony of this transfixion must have caused her death, had not the same Divine hand relieved her; but this cutting and dividing of her heart was often repeated in after years, in answer to her unsatisfied entreaties. During this life of mysterious suffering, Osanna ceased not to labour for the souls of others by prayer and works of charity, and often offered her body and soul to God to receive the chastisement due to inveterate sinners or to the poor souls in purgatory.

Her approaching death was announced to her four years previously by Blessed Columba of Rieti, who appeared to her in great glory at the moment of her own departure out of this life.

The death of Blessed Osanna took place on the 18th of June, A.D. 1505. Three years afterwards her body was still incorrupt. Leo X. gave permission for her feast to be celebrated in the diocese of Mantua, and this privilege was extended to the Dominican Order by Innocent XII.'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2016, 06:08:36 PM »

Prayer

Graciously hear us, O God our Saviour, that, as we rejoice in celebrating the memory of Blessed Osanna Thy Virgin, we may be instructed likewise in all feelings of tender devotion. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Great Bio info. on Bl. Ossana Shin !

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2016, 02:56:30 PM »

June 20

Blessed Margaret Ebner
Nun & Virgin

Bl. Margaret Ebner was born in 1291 at Donauworth
in Bavaria and made her profession at the
Dominican Monastery of Maria Medingen in
1306. By her own account her true conversion to
God began in 1311 when she was 20 years old.
Soon after she became seriously ill and was
bedridden for nearly 13 years; these years of
suffering and prayer brought her to the heights
of contemplative union with God. She became
one of the more prominent of the Rhineland
mystics, known to both John Tauler and Henry
Suso. She left an account of her mystical experiences
in her Spiritual Journal (Revelationes) and
wrote a treatise on the Lord's Prayer. She died
on June 20, 1351.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »

James have you considered looking again for a better source for lives of the saints?

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »

Ok,  whats wrong with that one ?

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2016, 05:07:55 AM »

Besides the bad content in the last post, it's definitely new material and possibly under copyright, using too much would no longer be fair use -- and if it's from that 'St. Anthony's Messenger' magazine that's a bad source in general.

Do you remember when I referred you to Butler's? That's free, old enough, and online, and while not perfect the content is far better and can be normally used with simple prudence against any typical problems of the times such as emerging so called 'historical criticism'. It has the details of the lives of the saints which is good to have rather than reducing them to vague generalities that can obscure their real virtues and faith.

Perhaps you have not read or forgotten that I mentioned before for folks to use old sources here in general too.

I have been hoping for some time you would use a better source.

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2016, 05:28:40 AM »

Okee Dokee. Then I shall start using and searching for other sources. Sorry about that !  rainyday  big hanky   Cheesy

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2016, 06:03:25 AM »

Cheesy  Thank you my friend! Sorry to mention it! 

fishie  fishie fishie fishie fishie fishie

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »

Today is the 3rd day of the seventh month of the year of Our Lord 2016.

The Feast of St. Phocas, Gardener, Martyr

From his panegyric, written by St. Asterius, and another by St. Chrysostom, t. 2, ed. Ben. p. 704. Ruinart, p. 627.

A.D. 303.

ST. PHOCUS dwelt near the gate of Sinope, a city of Pontus, and lived by cultivating a garden, which yielded him a handsome subsistence, and wherewith plentifully to relieve the indigent. In his humble profession he imitated the virtue of the most holy anchorets, and seemed in part restored to the happy condition of our first parents in Eden. To prune the garden without labour and toil was their sweet employment and pleasure. Since their sin, the earth yields not its fruit but by the sweat of our brow. But still, no labour is more useful or necessary, or more natural to man, and better adapted to maintain in him vigour of mind or health of body than that of tillage; nor does any other part of the universe rival the innocent charms which a garden presents to all our senses, by the fragrancy of its flowers, by the riches of its produce, and the sweetness and variety of its fruits; by the melodious concert of its musicians, by the worlds of wonders which every stem, leaf, and fibre exhibit to the contemplation of the inquisitive philosopher, and by that beauty and variegated lustre of colours which clothe the numberless tribes of its smallest inhabitants, and adorn its shining landscapes, vying with the brightest splendour of the heavens, and in a single lily surpassing the dazzling lustre with which Solomon was surrounded on his throne in the midst of all his glory.

And what a field for contemplation does a garden offer to our view in every part, raising our souls to God in raptures of love and praise, stimulating us to fervour, by the fruitfulness with which it repays our labour, and multiplies the seed it receives; and exciting us to tears of compunction for our insensibility to God by the barrenness with which it is changed into a frightful desert, unless subdued by assiduous toil! Our saint joining prayer with his labour, found in his garden itself an instructive book, and an inexhausted fund of holy meditation. His house was open to all strangers and travellers who had no lodging in the place; and after having for many years most liberally bestowed the fruit of his labour on the poor, he was found worthy also to give his life for Christ. Though his profession was obscure, he was well known over the whole country by the reputation of his charity and virtue.    

When a cruel persecution, probably that of Dioclesian in 303, was suddenly raised in the church, Phocas was immediately impeached as a Christian, and such was the notoriety of his pretended crime, that the formality of a trial was superceded by the persecutors, and executioners were despatched with an order to kill him on the spot wherever they should find him. Arriving near Sinope, they would not enter the town, but stopping at his house without knowing it, at his kind invitation they took up their lodging with him. Being charmed with his courteous entertainment, they at supper disclosed to him the errand upon which they were sent, and desired him to inform them where this Phocas could be most easily met with? The servant of God, without the least surprise, told them he was well acquainted with the man, and would give them certain intelligence of him next morning.

After they were retired to bed he dug a grave, prepared everything for his burial, and spent the night in disposing his soul for his last hour. When it was day he went to his guests, and told them Phocas was found, and in their power whenever they pleased to apprehend him. Glad at this news, they inquired where he was. “He is here present,” said the martyr, “I myself am the man.” Struck at his undaunted resolution, and at the composure of his mind, they stood a considerable time as if they had been motionless, nor could they at first think of imbruing their hands in the blood of a person in whom they discovered so heroic a virtue, and by whom they had been so courteously entertained. He indirectly encouraged them, saying, that as for himself, he looked upon such a death as the greatest of favours, and his highest advantage. At length recovering themselves from their surprise, they struck off his head. The Christians of that city, after peace was restored to the church, built a stately church which bore his name, and was famous over all the East. In it were deposited the sacred relics, though some portions of them were dispersed in other churches.

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

July 3

Blessed Joseph Peter Vyen
(1817-1838)

Born in East Tonkin (Vietnam), he was a Dominican
tertiary, catechist, prisoner and martyr. He died in
prison from the ill treatment he received there. He
was beatified in 1910.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2016, 10:44:59 PM »

Blessed Joseph, pray for us!  crucifix

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints « previous next »
Jump to: