Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:34:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: The world, the flesh, and the devil 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The world, the flesh, and the devil  (Read 15957 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:43 AM »

"Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Matthew 16:24
Taking up the cross and following Jesus means dying to the world, the flesh, and the devil.
Daily Thought For August 22, 2015, reminded me of this. I wanted to share:

The Dangers of the Spirit of the World

We have lost sight of the fact that Christians cannot live like “everyone else”. The foolish notion that there is no specifically Christian morality is merely one way of saying that a fundamental concept has been lost: the “distinctively Christian” as opposed to the models offered by the “world”. Even religious orders and congregations have confused true reform with a relaxation of the traditional austerity previously practiced. They have confused renewal with comfort. To give a small but concrete example: a religious reported to me that the downfall of his monastery began very concretely with the declaration that it was “no longer practicable” for the religious to rise during the night to recite the nocturnal office. But that was not the end of the matter. The religious replaced this uncontested but significant “sacrifice” by staying up late at night to watch television. An apparently minor matter. But the present-day decline of the indispensable austerity of Christian life, beginning with that of religious orders, is composed of just such “minor matters”. Christians must realize today more than ever before that they belong to a minority and are in opposition to all that appears good, natural, and logical, to what the New Testament calls “the spirit of the world”.

Daily Thought For August 22, 2015,

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »

When I read this I realized how right the author is. We are indeed a minority at risk even of becoming an "endangered species", considering that much of the world at one time was, not just Christian but Catholic! Now to be Catholic is almost frowned upon!
Certainly if you try to live as a Christian should, you are considered almost "unbalanced".
I remember when I burnt many books from my shelf. Novels and stuff. My young nephew looked at me with a frown on his face; why Aunty? he asked, genuinely puzzled, then continued; "I told you to give me those books if you did not want them"! But of course I could not pass them on as they were good for nothing but the flames.
No one seemed to understood.  Sad
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:59:29 AM by odhiambo » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »

We understand cross prayer
Your nephew may look back some day with understanding and gratitude.
A good witness on your part!

And as for the order who no longer gets up to pray at night, that is a sad development for them.  It doesn't take very long, then its back to bed happy and in the company of God
And to think  many people in this world lay there unable to sleep, with despair or worry for that amount of time?

Let nothing disturb you
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

I understand what you mean, Odhiambo.  I've gotten rid of several books that were supposedly Catholic.  Only truly Catholic books for me! 

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »

When I read this I realized how right the author is. We are indeed a minority at risk even of becoming an "endangered species", considering that much of the world at one time was, not just Christian but Catholic! Now to be Catholic is almost frowned upon!
Certainly if you try to leave as a Christian should, you are considered almost "unbalanced".
I remember when I burnt many books from my shelf. Novels and stuff. My young nephew looked at me with a frown on his face; why Aunty? he asked, genuinely puzzled, then continued; "I told you to give me those books if you did not want them"! But of course I could not pass them on as they were good for nothing but the flames.
No one seemed to understood.  Sad

I did the same thing, got rid of books! Thanks be to God for the gift to know to do so.

Yes you can't let others get 'em either! The saints and ordinary friars and priests would go around to towns, and preach sermons before all the people, and have them bring out their bad stuff to throw away and burn on the fires. It was beautiful to see.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »

The only books I've had in my apartment have been Catholic books and reference books, like the dictionary.  But some of those Catholic books were written after Vatican II and contain the errors of Vatican II, so I had to get rid of all of them.  I even got rid of my Catholic Bibles other than my Douay-Rheims.  I've gotten rid of Catholic tracts and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, too, because they contain the errors of V2.  I stick to the Baltimore Catechism #3, which I own, and to the old catechisms, which do not contain error.  I hope that one day more people become aware of how dangerous the V2 errors are, and get rid of all their books infected with such modernism.  Religious liberty and false ecumenism were condemned by the Church, so it is harmful and wrong for the conciliar church to promote them as they do.  When will people catch on?  Perhaps too late? 

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:26 AM »

I get confused sometimes. When the then Pope approved the outcome of Vatican II, wasn't it Ex Cathedra?
Also, which are these errors ? I would really like to know them. I may be offending God without being aware of the fact. Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:01 AM »

I get confused sometimes. When the then Pope approved the outcome of Vatican II, wasn't it Ex Cathedra?
Also, which are these errors ? I would really like to know them. I may be offending God without being aware of the fact. Sad

The conciliar church's promotion of the condemned teachings of religious liberty and false ecumenism are the two main errors I speak of.  These have been condemned by the Roman Catholic Church before Vatican II, yet the Vatican II Council and the conciliar church has ignored this, teaching these condemned errors as truths, which is very harmful and wrong.  You could read the "Syllabus or Errors" of Pope Pius IX, if you wish to learn what the Roman Catholic Church has condemned as the errors of Modernism.  I also suggest you read the encyclical "Quanta Cura" of Pope Pius IX, condemning the errors of Modernism.  The teaching and promoting of religious liberty and false ecumenism is pure Modernism.  God bless you!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »

The only way possible that an ecumenical council could promote error is if it were to be convoked by an antipope or a claimant to the Chair of Peter who is not a valid pope canonically.  For example, if a person elected to the papacy were a manifest heretic before his papal election--even if it were a unanimous election--he could not canonically be a valid pope.  Another example, if a cardinal were to be elected pope and under duress declined the office of pope offered to him, then the new claimant to the Chair of Peter elected in his place would not be a valid pope but an antipope.  I hope this helps.  God bless you!

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »

I also get confused. This stuff is complicated!  I can tell Therese, you have done a lot of study on this topic. You are very knowledgeable.
Can you talk some more about  false ecumenism and condemned teachings religious liberty?
Thanks!

And thank you, Odhiambo, for starting this thread!

We have ourselves a pleasant conversation going!  Wouldn't it be nice to sit across a table together? Smiley

Let nothing disturb you
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 04:03:57 AM »

We have ourselves a pleasant conversation going!  Wouldn't it be nice to sit across a table together? Smiley

It sure would whiterockdove.  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »

The only books I've had in my apartment have been Catholic books and reference books, like the dictionary.  But some of those Catholic books were written after Vatican II and contain the errors of Vatican II, so I had to get rid of all of them.  I even got rid of my Catholic Bibles other than my Douay-Rheims.  I've gotten rid of Catholic tracts and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, too, because they contain the errors of V2.  I stick to the Baltimore Catechism #3, which I own, and to the old catechisms, which do not contain error.  I hope that one day more people become aware of how dangerous the V2 errors are, and get rid of all their books infected with such modernism.  Religious liberty and false ecumenism were condemned by the Church, so it is harmful and wrong for the conciliar church to promote them as they do.  When will people catch on?  Perhaps too late?  

Hi Therese!
I have all these books you have listed. I have read the Baltimore Catechism on line. I use the  Douay-Rheims Bible on line for reference occasionally but I find it difficult to understand because of the English.
I must admit, nothing has clashed for me. Maybe if you could name the specific errors that the Church is now teaching. I know that in many translations of Luke 1:28, the phrase "highly favored" instead of "full of Grace"is used in reference to Our Lady. Is that one of the errors?
You mention false ecumenism, what does the Church say now about Christian Unity that is contrary to Christ's teaching.
You mentioned getting rid of Catholic Bibles, CCC, etc which are "
books infected with such modernism. Religious liberty and false ecumenism were condemned by the Church,
These books all carry the  "Nihil Obstat,"and "Imprimatur" approval stamps of the Church so the Church has not condemned them. In effect therefore, it is the Catholic Church herself promoting these "errors and false teachings"
This is how I understand your comments to mean. Have I misunderstood you, perhaps? Smiley
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:39:21 AM by odhiambo » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

No doubt you won't believe me, Odhiamabo, but the Conciliar Church and the Roman Catholic Church are not one and the same thing.  All the Imprimaturs and Nihil Obstats after V2 were given by the Conciliar Church, a false sect of the Roman Catholic Church.  I can't expect for you to believe me because you are probably a product of V2 and have no idea that the Roman Catholic Church has condemned errors before V2 that are now in V2 documents and in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  The Roman Catholic Church is indefectible and can not promote anything harmful to the faithful; for this reason, and for many other reasons, the Conciliar Church is not the Roman Catholic Church, which is spotless, pure and perfect.  God bless you!  

P.S.  I got rid of my modern Bibles because of some translations in them and because of their footnotes, but mainly because they were only approved by the Conciliar Church.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:52:16 AM by Therese » Logged

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »

I also get confused. This stuff is complicated!  I can tell Therese, you have done a lot of study on this topic. You are very knowledgeable.
Can you talk some more about  false ecumenism and condemned teachings religious liberty?
Thanks!

And thank you, Odhiambo, for starting this thread!

We have ourselves a pleasant conversation going!  Wouldn't it be nice to sit across a table together? Smiley

I'll try to find some information for you, but it could take some time.  You could find the information yourself in Pope Pius IX's "The Syllabus of Errors" and in his encyclical "Quanta Cura" on-line.  Either false ecumenism and religious liberty have been condemned by the Roman Catholic Church or they haven't.  I'll show you that they most certainly have been condemned.  The Conciliar Church has ignored these condemnations and has started a new religion where teachings condemned as errors are taught as the truth.  What a sad state, and with so much apostasy, apostasy from the top.  It is so sad that so many prelates and priests have defected from the true Faith.  Those who have read the actual 3rd Secret of Fatima, without revealing the secrets they've read, have revealed that it has to do with apostasy from the top.  This I can easily believe, because it is apparent.  God bless you!  

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »

Dear Whiterockdove,

There is a book that I will borrow that will be able to help you understand what you want to know.  Hopefully, I'll obtain it on Sunday.  I'll post what both the Roman Catholic Church and the Conciliar Church teaches about false ecumenism and religious liberty, once I obtain the book from my friend.  You'll be able to see or yourself that the Roman Catholic Church and the Conciliar Church teaches two very contradictory things.  The Roman Catholic Church can not contradict herself or teach or do anything harmful to the faithful.  This is for certain.  God bless you!

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »

Thank you, Therese! 

Keep asking and talking Odhiambo, your questions are my questions!

Let nothing disturb you
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: The world, the flesh, and the devil « previous next »
Jump to: