Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori  (Read 19544 times)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »

Yes, it is, Martin . Smiley   Shin has the best collection on his books site.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

The saints are the best!  Cheesy

Martin, Patricia, how are your computers doing? Do you need any advice?  Grin

'I say it is even a duty; for Christian charity commands us to relieve our neighbors who stand in need of our assistance.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »

Thanks Shin for the offer. It's to do with the USB ports and not able to start some devices. It's about 7 years old this pc of mine and really I think it needs replacing but feel guilty about spending big bucks to do this when other demands keep cropping up like my eldest son who is going to university in London soon and will need some initial financial support ( the list seems endless sometimes) but I'll get someone to look at it and see if it's worth repairing.
Do we have a patron St of computers?  cross prayer

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »

Thanks Shin for the offer. It's to do with the USB ports and not able to start some devices. It's about 7 years old this pc of mine and really I think it needs replacing but feel guilty about spending big bucks to do this when other demands keep cropping up like my eldest son who is going to university in London soon and will need some initial financial support ( the list seems endless sometimes) but I'll get someone to look at it and see if it's worth repairing.
Do we have a patron St of computers?  cross prayer

I don't know of one yet!

Perhaps St. Isidore of Seville, hmm I think it's unofficial but.. Smiley He and St. Clare have some technological associations.

'Prayer  purifies us, reading instructs us. Both are good when both are possible. Otherwise, prayer is better than reading. If a man wants to be always in God’s company, he must pray regularly and read regularly. When we pray, we talk to God; when we read, God talks to us. All spiritual growth comes from reading and reflection. By reading we learn what we did not know; by reflection we retain what we have learned. Reading the holy Scriptures confers two benefits. It trains the mind to understand them; it turns man’s attention from the follies of the world and leads him to the love of God. The conscientious reader will be more concerned to carry out what he has read than merely to acquire knowledge of it. In reading we aim at knowing, but we must put into practice what we have learned in our course of study. The more you devote yourself to study of the sacred utterances, the richer will be your understanding of them, just as the more the soil is tilled, the richer the harvest. The man who is slow to grasp things but who really tries hard is rewarded, equally he who does not cultivate his God-given intellectual ability is condemned for despising his gifts and sinning by sloth. Learning unsupported by grace may get into our ears; it never reaches the heart. But when God’s grace touches our innermost minds to bring understanding, his word which has been received by the ear sinks deep into the heart.'

- from Book of Maxims by Saint Isidore of Seville

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

That's a beuatiful quote on prayer and spiritual reading. By reading Holy scripture and the saints we learn so much about what is good and pleasing to God and then we know what is good for us and what we need to pray for.

Shin you must be right about those saints as they've just confirmed your thoughts. I turned on my computer an hr ago and all these install prompts came on the screen so I just kept clicking on them as they appeared and what do ya know? I have my internet back.
St. Isidore of Seville and St. Clare Thank you so much. Another two for my daily invocation. I'm gonna end up having to make a general prayer like "All you holy saints in heaven pray for us." hehehe

PS. Just realized the topic of this thread is St. Alphonsus de Liguori who I've been reading for the past 2 weeks  Smiley

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »

I'll have to remember these two saints for my computer too. Smiley

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »

I wonder if those two Saints will work for my scanner too (or my knowledge of it)?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »

I wonder if those two Saints will work for my scanner too (or my knowledge of it)?

Of course they will Brigid..  cross prayer

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »

Little Angel

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »

When he was bishop, one of St. Alphonsus’s priests led a worldly life, and resisted all attempts to change. He was summoned to St. Alphonsus de Liguori, and at the entrance to the bishop‘s study he found a large crucifix laid on the threshold. When the priest hesitated to step in, St. Alphonsus quietly said, “Come along, and be sure to trample it underfoot. It would not be the first time you have placed Our Lord beneath your feet.”

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori « previous next »
Jump to: