Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort  (Read 59622 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »

3rd Day

Matthew 7:1-14

Judge not, that you may not be judged, For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again. Any why seest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye; and seest not the beam that is in thy own eye? Or how sayest thou to thy brother: Let me cast the mote out of thy eye; and behold a beam is in thy own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam in thy own eye, and then shalt thou see to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you. Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. For every one that asketh, receiveth: and he that seeketh, findeth: and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened. Or what man is there among you, of whom if his son shall ask bread, will he reach him a stone? Or if he shall ask him a fish, will he reach him a serpent? If you then being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children: how much more will your Father who is in heaven, give good things to them that ask him? All things therefore whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them. For this is the law and the prophets. Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!

Magnificat

My soul doth magnify the Lord. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. Because He hath regarded the humility of His handmaid; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. Because He that is mighty hath done great things to me; and holy is His name. And His mercy is from generation to generations, to them that fear Him. He hath showed might in His arm; He hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.

He hath put down the mighty from their seat; and hath exalted the humble. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath received Israel His servant, being mindful of His mercy. As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever. Amen.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »

God has filled Mary with all graces, so that men may receive by her means, as by a channel, every good thing that comes to them.

St. Bernard

But now that Mary has been given to the world, heavenly graces constantly flow through her on all.

St. Alphonsus Liguoir

All graces that have ever been bestowed on men, all came through Mary.

St. Antoninus

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »

4th Day

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 3, Chapters 7, 40

That man has no good of himself, and that he cannot glory in anything Lord, what is man, that Thou art mindful of him; or the son of man, that Thou visit him? What has man deserved that Thou should give him grace? Lord, what cause have I to complain, if Thou forsakest me, or what can I justly allege, if what I petition Thou shalt not grant? This most assuredly, I may truly think and say: Lord I am nothing, I can do nothing of myself, that is good, but I am in all things defective and ever tend to nothing. And unless I am assisted and interiorly instructed by Thee, I become wholly tepid and relaxed, but Thou, O Lord, art always the same, and endurest unto eternity, ever good, just and holy, doing all things well, justly and holily and disposing them in wisdom.

But I who am more inclined to go back, than to go forward, continue not always in one state, for I am changed, seven different times. But it quickly becomes better when it pleases Thee, and Thou stretchest out Thy helping hand: for Thou alone, without man's aid can assist me and so strengthen me, that my countenance shall be more diversely changed: but my heart be converted and find its rest in Thee alone.

He who would be too secure in time of peace will often be found too much dejected in time of war. If you could always continue to be humble and little in your own eyes, and keep your spirit in due order and subjection, you would not fall so easily into danger and offense. It is good counsel that, when you have conceived the spirit of fervor, you should meditate how it will be when that light shall be withdrawn.

Ave Maris Stella

Hail, O Star of the ocean,
God's own Mother blest,
ever sinless Virgin,
gate of heav'nly rest.   

Taking that sweet Ave,
which from Gabriel came,
peace confirm within us,
changing Eve's name.

Break the sinners' fetters,
make our blindness day,
Chase all evils from us,
for all blessings pray.

Show thyself a Mother,
may the Word divine
born for us thine Infant
hear our prayers through thine.

Virgin all excelling,
mildest of the mild,
free from guilt preserve us
meek and undefiled.

Keep our life all spotless,
make our way secure
till we find in Jesus,
joy for evermore.

Praise to God the Father,
honor to the Son,
in the Holy Spirit,
be the glory one. Amen.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

See, O souls, with what tender devotion Our Lord wills that we should honor Our Queen, by always having recourse to her protection; and by relying on it; for in Mary He has placed the plenitude of every good, so that henceforward we may know and acknowledge that whatever hope, grace, or other advantage we possess, all come from the hand of Mary.

St. Bernard

All graces of the spiritual life that descend from Christ, their head, to the faithful, who are His mystical body, are transmitted through the instrumentality of Mary.

St. Bernardine of Sienna

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »

Beautiful and moving reflections Brigid on the goodness of God and our need of the Blessed Virgin.

I'm reading the True Devotion again while following your daily meditations and I'm discovering new passages that I must have skimmed over in previous readings.

If you don't have Mary as your mother, then you don't have God as your Father.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

This is so good for me. I see everything so much more clearly since I started reading St. Alphonsus' Hail Holy Queen. I've had a devotion to Mary since I was little, but never really understood why and sometimes felt a little silly. Embarrassed Now I don't need to feel silly.

martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »

I've had a devotion to Mary since I was little, but never really understood why and sometimes felt a little silly.

Our Lady has chosen you from an early age Brigid. Thats why!  Cheesy
As St Louis de Monfort said, "When someone has devotion to the Blessed Virgin it's a sure sign of predestination."

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »

That just shows God's mercy and compassion as not only was I not Catholic or even Christian, but I was not even baptized! My grandmother had me read from St. Luke's infancy narrative often and I sometimes went to church with her (Episcopalian).

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

Our Lady certainly has you enfolded in her robes! Cheesy

He who would be too secure in time of peace will often be found too much dejected in time of war. If you could always continue to be humble and little in your own eyes, and keep your spirit in due order and subjection, you would not fall so easily into danger and offense. It is good counsel that, when you have conceived the spirit of fervor, you should meditate how it will be when that light shall be withdrawn.

This really speaks to me.. it reminds me of how we can yearn for consolations and become dejected without them, instead of, which I should do, but do not, use them as times for preparation for the times without them so we do not become dejected but instead become ready for the battle and trusting in God even when He is not palpable.

It reminds me of the last words on the cross.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

That is truly wonderful..
As our Lord said to the disciples, "You did not chose me. No, I choose you."
And He used His beloved mother to do so.

How blessed we all are.  cheers

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

5th Day

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 3, Chapter 40

Wherefore, but I did know well, how to cast from me all human comfort, either for the sake of devotion, or through the necessity by which I am compelled to seek Thee, because there is no man that can comfort me. Then might I deservedly hope in Thy favor, and rejoice in the gift of a new consolation. Thanks be to Thee from Whom all things proceed, as often as it happens to me. I, indeed, am but vanity, and nothing in Thy sight , an inconstant and weak man. Where, therefore, can I glory, or for what do I desire to be thought of highly?

Forsooth of my very nothingness; and this is most vain. Truly vainglory is an evil plague, because it draws away from true glory, and robs us of heavenly grace. For, while a man takes complacency in himself, he displeases Thee; while he wants for human applause, he is deprived of true virtues. But true, glory and holy exultation is to glory in Thee, and not in one's self; to rejoice in Thy Name, but not in one's own strength. To find pleasure in no creature, save only for Thy sake. Let Thy Name be praised, not mine; let Thy work be magnified, not mine; let Thy Holy Name be blessed, but let nothing be attributed to me of the praise of men. Thou art my glory; Thou art the exultation of my heart; in Thee, will I glory and rejoice all the day; but for myself, I will glory in nothing but in my infirmities.

Glory Be

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »

Set us not imagine that we obscure the glory of the Son by the great praise we lavish on the Mother; for the more she is honored the greater is the glory of her Son.

St. Bernard

I desire to be the servant of the Son; but because no one will ever be so without serving the Mother, for this reason I desire the servitude of Mary.

St Ildephonsus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »

To find pleasure in no creature, save only for Thy sake.

Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

but for myself, I will glory in nothing but in my infirmities.

I often wondered how one is meant to glory in weaknesses but I think I'm beginning to realize what's meant by this. That we are powerless unless Gods mercy comes to the rescue and that is truly something to glory in.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »

6th Day

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 1, Chapter 18
On the examples of the Holy Fathers.

Look upon the lively examples of the holy Fathers in whom shone real perfection and the religious life, and you will see how little it is, and almost nothing that we do. Alas, what is our life when we compare it with theirs? Saints and friends of Christ, they served our Lord in hunger and in thirst, in cold, in nakedness, in labor and in weariness, in watching, in fasting, prayers and holy meditations, and in frequent persecutions and reproaches. Oh, how many grievous tribulations did the Apostles suffer and the Martyrs and Confessors and Virgins, and all the rest who resolved to follow the steps of Christ! For they hated their lives in this world, that they might keep them in life everlasting. Oh what a strict and self-renouncing life the holy Fathers of the desert led! What long and grievous temptations did they bear! How often were they harassed by the enemy, what frequent and fervent prayers did they offer up to God, what rigorous abstinence did they practice!

What a valiant contest waged they to subdue their imperfections! What purity and straightforwardness of purpose kept they towards God! By day they labored, and much of the night they spent in prayer; though while they labored, they were far from leaving off mental prayer. They spent all their time profitably. Every hour seemed short to spend with God; and even their necessary bodily refreshment was forgotten in the great sweetness of contemplation. They renounced all riches, dignities, honors and kindred; they hardly took what was necessary for life. It grieved them to serve the body even in its necessity. Accordingly, they were poor in earthly things, but very rich in grace and virtues.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

Of course no human life is free from faults; only the Immaculate Virgin presents herself in absolute purity before God's Majesty. What a joy to remember she is our Mother! Since she loves us and knows our weakness, what have we to fear?

St. Therese of Lisieux

Thus does Jesus address His Mother: "No one comes to Me unless My Mother first of all draws him by her prayers".

Richard of St. Laurence

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort « previous next »
Jump to: