Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort  (Read 59621 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »

The essential practice of this devotion is to perform all our actions with Mary. This means that we must take her as the accomplished model for all we have to do. Before undertaking anything, we must forget self and abandon our own views. We must consider ourselves as a mere nothing before God, as being personally incapable of doing anything supernaturally worthwhile or anything conducive to our salvation. We must have habitual recourse to our Lady, becoming one with her and adopting her intentions, even though they are unknown to us. Through Mary we must adopt the intentions of Jesus. In other words, we must become an instrument in Mary's hands for her to act in us and do with us what she pleases, for the greater glory of her Son; and through Jesus for the greater glory of the Father. In this way, we pursue our interior life and make spiritual progress only in dependence on Mary.

St Louis de Montefort

When we have recourse to this divine Mother, not only we may be sure of her protection, but that often we shall be heard more quickly, and be thus preserved, if we have recourse to Mary and call on her holy name, than we should be if we called on the name of Jesus our Saviour: ..... that to Jesus , as judge, it belongs also to punish; but mercy alone belongs to the Blessed Virgin as a patroness.

St. Anselm

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

Matthew 5:1-19

And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain, and when he was set down, his disciples came unto him. And opening his mouth, he taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called children of God. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But he that shall do and teach, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Examine your conscience, pray, practice renouncement of your own will; mortification, purity of heart. This purity is the indispensable condition for contemplating God in heaven, to see Him on earth and to know Him by the light of faith. The first part of the preparation should be employed in casting off the spirit of the world which is contrary to that of Jesus Christ. The spirit of the world consists essentially in the denial of the supreme dominion of God; a denial which is manifested in practice by sin and disobedience; thus it is principally opposed to the spirit of Christ, which is also that of Mary.

It manifests itself by the concupiscence of the flesh, by the concupiscence of the eyes and by the pride of life. By disobedience to God's laws and the abuse of created things. Its works are: sin in all forms, then all else by which the devil leads to sin; works which bring error and darkness to the mind, and seduction and corruption to the will. Its pomps are the splendor and the charms employed by the devil to render sin alluring in persons, places and things.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »

So if one starts today it ends on December 8th?  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »

Right, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »

Right, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.

What more can you tell us about it? Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:10:28 PM »

If at all possible, read "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin," written by St. Louis de Montfort and decide for certain whether to consecrate yourself to Jesus through Mary. Read carefully, and don't take this lightly; consecrating oneself has the character of a vow.

St. Louis-Marie breaks these 33 days into sections, each section having its own prayers, and each particular day having its own brief readings with which to fill the mind for that day (the readings come from Sacred Scripture, "The Imitation of Christ," and "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary"). Don't just read the readings, internalize them; don't let your lips just mouth the prayers, truly pray them.

One of the prayers we will be praying for the next 12 days is:

Veni Creator

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator blest,
and in our souls take up Thy rest;
come with Thy grace and heavenly aid
to fill the hearts which Thou hast made.

O comforter, to Thee we cry,
O heavenly gift of God Most High,
O fount of life and fire of love,
and sweet anointing from above.

Thou in Thy sevenfold gifts are known;
Thou, finger of God's hand we own;
Thou, promise of the Father,
Thou Who dost the tongue with power imbue.

Kindle our sense from above,
and make our hearts o'erflow with love;
with patience firm and virtue high
the weakness of our flesh supply.

Far from us drive the foe we dread,
and grant us Thy peace instead;
so shall we not, with Thee for guide,
turn from the path of life aside.

Oh, may Thy grace on us bestow
the Father and the Son to know;
and Thee, through endless times confessed,
of both the eternal Spirit blest.

Now to the Father and the Son,
Who rose from death, be glory given,
with Thou, O Holy Comforter,
henceforth by all in earth and heaven. Amen.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »

If at all possible, read "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin," written by St. Louis de Montfort and decide for certain whether to consecrate yourself to Jesus through Mary. Read carefully, and don't take this lightly; consecrating oneself has the character of a vow.

St. Louis-Marie breaks these 33 days into sections, each section having its own prayers, and each particular day having its own brief readings with which to fill the mind for that day (the readings come from Sacred Scripture, "The Imitation of Christ," and "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary"). Don't just read the readings, internalize them; don't let your lips just mouth the prayers, truly pray them.

One of the prayers we will be praying for the next 12 days is:

Veni Creator

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator blest,
and in our souls take up Thy rest;
come with Thy grace and heavenly aid
to fill the hearts which Thou hast made.

O comforter, to Thee we cry,
O heavenly gift of God Most High,
O fount of life and fire of love,
and sweet anointing from above.

Thou in Thy sevenfold gifts are known;
Thou, finger of God's hand we own;
Thou, promise of the Father,
Thou Who dost the tongue with power imbue.

Kindle our sense from above,
and make our hearts o'erflow with love;
with patience firm and virtue high
the weakness of our flesh supply.

Oh, may Thy grace on us bestow
the Father and the Son to know;
and Thee, through endless times confessed,
of both the eternal Spirit blest.

Now to the Father and the Son,
Who rose from death, be glory given,
with Thou, O Holy Comforter,
henceforth by all in earth and heaven. Amen.

Ah, I love that one!  Cheesy

Good advice Brigid! Thank you!

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »

Thank you Brigid for giving us this oportunity to avail of the great blessings attached to this true devotuion to Mary. I will be following it and putting into practice as best I can each stage.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

Amen!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »

The essential practice of this devotion is to perform all our actions with Mary.

So it seems to me the devotion is, and truly benefits you in.. coming to know and appreciate Our Lady and her presence in our lives.

What greater benefit could there be than to begin to know better the heart of the Blessed Virgin? And to see her work in your life?

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »

I also believe that this devotion brings one into the realization that not only is Mary the one we need to go to for things that we might be afraid of approaching Our Lord for, but that He is the true end from which these graces flow.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »

I also believe that this devotion brings one into the realization that not only is Mary the one we need to go to for things that we might be afraid of approaching Our Lord for, but that He is the true end from which these graces flow.

Yes, truly! She is the shining beacon of devotion to Our Lord. Words are not enough..

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »

2nd Day

Matthew 5:48, 6:1-15

Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect....Take heed that you do not your justice before men, to be seen by them: otherwise you shall not have a reward of your Father who is in heaven. Therefore when thou dost an almsdeed, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be honoured by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But when thou dost alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doth. That thy alms may be in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee. And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee. And when you are praying, speak not much, as the heathens. For they think that in their much speaking they may be heard. Be not you therefore like to them, for your Father knoweth what is needful for you, before you ask him. Thus therefore shall you pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our supersubstantial bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen. For if you will forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will forgive you also your offences. But if you will not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive you your offences.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »

Thou shalt present Me with no petition that shall be refused. My Mother, ask what thou wilt, for never will I refuse thee anything; and know that I promise graciously to hear all those who ask any favor of Me in thy name, though they may be sinners, if only they have the will to amend their lives.

Our Lord Jesus to St. Bridget
Also Lord Jesus to St. Gertrude

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

A very Providential reading Brigid, given the discussion of late!

Take heed that you do not your justice before men, to be seen by them: otherwise you shall not have a reward of your Father who is in heaven.

Our Lady is such a comfort!
Thou shalt present Me with no petition that shall be refused. My Mother, ask what thou wilt, for never will I refuse thee anything; and know that I promise graciously to hear all those who ask any favor of Me in thy name, though they may be sinners, if only they have the will to amend their lives.

Thank you for doing this consecration for us all! Cheesy

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »

Our Lord Jesus to St. Bridget
Also Lord Jesus to St. Gertrude

What hope the Blessed Virgin inspires in us all. If she asks for us, then God will not refuse her.  angel bell

Thank you Brigid.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort « previous next »
Jump to: