Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2019, 10:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print
Author Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss  (Read 95029 times)
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »

Doesn't the story of Ven. Marina de Escobar so touch the heart?

And Blessed Bonaventura she certainly is inspiring!

I find these stories very inspirational. They make you want to pray even more.

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

"I want to find God, who is my life."

I want to find God, who is my life! Cheesy

flower flower  flower

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

The Boy Dying of Thirst.

GEN. XXI. -- Agar was wandering in the sandy deserts of Arabia with her little boy Ismael. She had with her a bottle of water for him to drink, for there was no other water in the deserts. When the water in the bottle was finished, she put the little boy under one of the trees and went a great way off from him, for she said, l will not see the boy die of thirst. Then she sat down and lifted up her voice, and began to cry for the poor, dying boy. Then an angel of God called to Agar from heaven and said: "What art thou doing, Agar? Fear not, for God hath heard the voice of the boy. Arise, take up the boy." and God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water, and went and filled the bottle, and gave the boy to drink. So God heard the voice, not of the mother, but of the child, and he gave them water to drink. So God hears the prayers of children.

XXIII. The Children Pray for the People.

THERE was a town called Bethulia. One day the chapel there was full of children. What was the matter? The soldiers were on their road to this town. They were coming to kill the people. The people knew that God hears the prayers of children, for they had read in the Holy Scriptures, "That out of the mouths of infants comes forth perfect praise of God." So they made all the children come into the chapel, and bow their heads down to the ground, and pray for the people. God heard the prayers of the children, and he made the cruel soldiers go away, and the people were saved by the prayers of the children.

XXIV. The Obedient Child.

THERE was a very old priest, called Eli, and a good child, called Samuel, who lived with the priest. Almighty God wanted to say something to the priest, but he liked better to say it to the child, and let the child tell the priest. So one night, when the child was asleep, God called the child by his name, Samuel. The child awoke, and heard somebody calling his name, but he did not know that it was God who called him. He thought to himself, perhaps it is the priest who calls me. He got up directly, and went to the priest, and said: "Please, your reverence, I heard somebody calling my name, and I thought perhaps it was your reverence who called me." Then the priest said: “No my child, I did not call you; go back again and sleep." So the obedient child went back to sleep. But after a little while the child heard the same voice calling him again and again. Each time he went to the priest, and at last the priest said: "Perhaps, my child, it is the voice of God which calls you, so, if you hear it again, say: "Speak, O Lord, for thy servant heareth." After a little while, when the child heard the voice again, he said as the priest had told him: "Speak, O Lord, for thy servant heareth." Then God spoke to the child and commanded him to tell the priest what he had heard. So God loves to speak to good children who are obedient; and as God spoke to the child Samuel, he will speak to you also, my child, if you are obedient. You will not hear his voice with your ears, as the child Samuel did, but you will hear it in your heart.

XXV. The Child that Converted its Father.

ABOUT four years since, there was a little boy six years old, living in a large town. He was very sickly. His father was a drunkard. One evening he was going home from the children's mission. When he came home he opened the door, and he saw his father sitting in a chair drunk! The little boy went over to his father and climbed up on his knees. He joined his hands together and said: "Father. I want to say something to you." The father said: "Well, what is it?" The child said: "Father, I feel very poorly, and I think I shall die soon. God is good. I think when I am dead he will take my soul into heaven." "Well," said the father, "what then?" "When I come into heaven," said the child," l shall be very sorry to do it, but I must go to Almighty God, and tell him that you go to the public house and ruin us all." God must have put these words on the tongue of the child! As soon as the child had spoken, the father did not answer one word, but he quietly took the child off his knees and set him down on the ground. The father walked out of the house -- he went in haste till he came to the chapel. Next morning he went down on his knees and made his confession. Front that day he never got drunk any more, nor did he ever put his foot in a public-house again. Besides being obedient to your parents or masters, you should try not to get angry with your companions if they do something which vexes you.

XXVI. The Boy who was Angry.

WHEN St. Philip Neri was a little boy he was reading to one of his sisters. While he was doing this, his eldest sister, Catherine, came up to him and tried to stop his reading, and tease him. Almost without thinking, he pushed her away. Afterwards, when he thought of it, he was very sorry, and cried for his fault. One of the worst faults children can commit is going into bad company.

Temptation. -- The Child and the Devil.

WHEN S. Joseph Calasanctius was a little boy five years old, he heard someone speaking about the devil, the enemy of God. He did not know who the devil was, but he thought the devil would look like a man. So he ran through all the rooms of the house to find him and drive him away. Another day he got together a good many children. They all got sticks in their hands, and went about looking for the devil to drive him out of the world. These sticks were only made of wood. The stick which really sends the devil away is the beautiful prayer, Jesus and Mary help me.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »

Here we have another portion of Fr. Furniss's fine book, 'God Loves Little Children'. . .

Folks you can read and jump in at any time in this kind of book. If something inspires you, if you have a good thought worth sharing, feel free.  tiny angel

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

XXV. The Child that Converted its Father.

ABOUT four years since, there was a little boy six years old, living in a large town. He was very sickly. His father was a drunkard. One evening he was going home from the children's mission. When he came home he opened the door, and he saw his father sitting in a chair drunk! The little boy went over to his father and climbed up on his knees. He joined his hands together and said: "Father. I want to say something to you." The father said: "Well, what is it?" The child said: "Father, I feel very poorly, and I think I shall die soon. God is good. I think when I am dead he will take my soul into heaven." "Well," said the father, "what then?" "When I come into heaven," said the child," l shall be very sorry to do it, but I must go to Almighty God, and tell him that you go to the public house and ruin us all." God must have put these words on the tongue of the child! As soon as the child had spoken, the father did not answer one word, but he quietly took the child off his knees and set him down on the ground. The father walked out of the house -- he went in haste till he came to the chapel. Next morning he went down on his knees and made his confession. Front that day he never got drunk any more, nor did he ever put his foot in a public-house again. Besides being obedient to your parents or masters, you should try not to get angry with your companions if they do something which vexes you.

The pubs... And nowadays there are similar addictions, that lead a man to ruin and so his poor family.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »

XXVII. The Children and the Bad Sailor.

WHEN Blessed Leonard was nine years old, one day he was walking in the country with some other boys. As they went along a sailor came up to them. The sailor began by giving them some sugar sticks and some pennies. Then he asked them to do something very wicked. The very moment the sailor began to speak about such wicked things, Leonard and the others were shocked and ran away. The sailor ran after them to beat them. But they ran quicker than he did. They got back into the town. The first thing they did when they got into the town was to go to the church and thank Almighty God for taking care of them.

S. Jane Frances, when a little child, had at very bad nurse who wanted to teach her wicked things, but she would not listen to her. When S. Mary of Egypt was twelve years old, she ran away from her parents, and led a most wicked life for seventeen years.

When S. Aloysius went through the streets he always kept his eyes looking down on the ground for fear he should see anything bad.

When B. Margaret Alacoque was three years old, she was frightened if she heard anybody talk about sin.

The Two Good Boys.

WHEN S. Gregory and S. Basil were boys, they were great friends. They kept carefully out of bad company. They knew only two streets, the street which led to the church, and the street which led to the school.

Many little girls like to have a fine dress, and get proud and vain.

The Pin.

WHEN S. Rose of Lima was a little child, her mother used to dress her up very finely. But Rose did not like this, because she thought that it was not pleasing to Jesus Christ. One day they had put a wreath of white roses round her head. Rose was afraid that she would get proud. So she took a pin and stuck it in the skin of her head, that the pain of it might keep her from being proud. Somebody said to her one day, "What beautiful hands you have." She ran away directly and thrust her hands into some hot lime and said, "Never let my hands be a temptation to anybody." She fasted three days every week, and used to eat on purpose things that were very bitter.

When S. Catharine of Sienna, was five years old, her mother wanted to put on her a very rich dress. Catharine said these words to her mother: "The infant Jesus was very poor in the crib, he was dressed in very poor clothes." Blessed Benveuuta was a very good child. Sometimes her sister would come and curl her hair, and put flowers on her head and ask her to go to dances. But instead of going to dances, she took the flowers off her head and went into a wood where there was a chapel of the Blessed Virgin and prayed there.

XXVIII. Stealing, or the children that died on the sand.

IN the early times there was a holy monk living in Egypt. He was called the Abbot John. There was another monk, an old man, who was very sick, who lived a long way off. One day somebody gave the Abbot John some figs. John thought he would send the figs to the poor old man who was sick. He called to him two very little children, and put the figs into then hands, and told them to carry the figs to the sick old man. He bade them not to eat the figs. The children took the figs and set off. They had a long journey to make. The journey was across a sandy country where there were no roads or houses or trees. The children set off. Soon after they had begun their journey a very thick mist like a dark cloud came down on the country. The children could not see their way. So they wandered about day and night without knowing where they were going. The little children got very hungry and faint, and they had nothing with them to eat except the figs. But they remembered that the Abbot John had told them not to eat the figs. So they would not eat them.

Every hour they became more and more hungry and more and more faint. At last the poor little children could not go any further. All their strength was gone, they could scarcely breathe. Still they would not eat the figs. So at last, they knelt down on the sand and said their prayers and -- died! Some people went to seek the children. They knew which road they had gone by seeing their little footsteps on the sand. At last they came to the very place where they had died. They found the dead bodies of the two little children lying on the sand. The figs were lying close beside them, and on the sand where they had said their prayers, there were the marks of their knees. How good these two little children were. These children would not eat the figs for anything, not even to save their lives. It is true they made a mistake. It would not have been a sin to eat the figs when they were dying of hunger. They should have eaten them to save their lives, and Abbot John would have been very glad of it.

But the fear these children had to break the seventh commandment, which says, Thou shalt not steal, at least teaches a lesson to other children, who steal the sugar, and the butter, and the half-pennies. Neither should children tell lies. S. Francis of Sales in his childhood, would rather let himself be whipped than tell a lie. It is better to be punished for a fault and be patient rather than tell a lie.

What a Child did for the Love of Jesus., or Patience.

WHEN Blessed Paul of the cross was a little child, his mother used to comb his hair sometimes. The comb often scratched his head and gave him pain, and he would begin to cry. Then his mother would tell him to be patient and quiet for the love of Jesus. Then the little child became very quiet and cried no more. But it is not enough to be patient. You must do good to others.

XXIX. The Children who were good to others.

The Child that gave away its dinner.

WHEN St. Mary Magdalen of Pazzi was yet not seven years old, she was sent to school twice a day; they put her dinner in a little basket, and she carried it to school. On her road there was the prison. When she went past the prison, she would take out her little dinner and give it to the poor prisoners. When her mother said to her, "Do this or do that," she always did it directly; when her mother went to Holy Communion they took notice that the little child used to get hold of her mother's clothes: they asked her why she did it? She answered, that she could feel when she touched her mother's clothes, something beautiful about them because she had received the Holy Communion. Before she made her first communion, she loved at least to see the priest give Holy Communion to others, and she would stop in the chapel tor three or four hours. One day she heard somebody say a bad word, she cried all the night after; they asked her why she cried, she said, because God had been offended. She used to get the poor little children of the country together, and teach them their prayers and give them clothes. They asked her why she did it, she answered "Because the little children remind me of the infant Jesus."

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »

I really love stories of children converting their parents.

They are a lesson to all of us.

There can be child saints!   tiny angel

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »

XXX. The Child that took care of the Sick.

WHEN the venerable Louis da Ponte was only a child, he knew what Jesus had said about visiting the sick "I was sick, and you visited me." So he used to go to the hospitals where the sick people were lying. He made their beds, swept the floor, and gave them water to drink, and was very kind to them. He read good books to them, and said prayers with them.

The Child that always gave something to the poor.

ST. FRANCIS of Assisi, when a child, had great pity for the poor. He determined to give something to every poor person who asked for the love of God. One day he was going along in a great hurry. On his road a poor man met him, and asked for something. Francis thought that he had no time to stop, so he went on without giving the poor man anything. After he had gone some distance he began to feel sorry for what he had done; so he turned back and ran after the poor man; he found him and gave him a great deal of money. Then he made a promise to God that he would never refuse to give something to any poor person who should ask it for the love of God.

XXXI. The Child that spoke for the poor.

WHEN St. Thomas of Villanova was eight years old, one day he was coming home from school. On his road he met a poor man who looked very sorrowful. He asked him what was the matter? The poor man said, I am going to see your father, he lent me some corn, and I have lost it all, and I shall never be able to pay it back. Little Thomas felt very sorry for the poor man's misfortune, he said to him, "Come along with me to my father's house." As soon as they reached his father's house, little Thomas went and knelt down before his father. He told his father about the poor man's loss, and asked him to forgive the debt. Thomas' father was very glad to find that his son was so good to the poor. He went straight to the door where the poor man was still waiting, and forgave him the debt and gave him more corn.

XXXII. The Salt.

FATHER JOHN BAPTIST when a little boy was very good to the poor. When he was six years old, he was sent by his mother one day to buy some salt in a shop. On his road he met a poor beggar, and gave him the money that was to pay for the salt. His mother did not get angry with him, because she knew he was good. Whenever a beggar came to the door, he always ran to his mother to get something to give away to the poor beggar, and when he gave it away he felt so glad. He used to get together little children like himself, and talk with them about holy things.

The Good Infant.

THE holy child Mary Teresa of Jesus, died in 1627, aged five years. She was a wonderfully holy child. She was in the Third Order of Our Lady of Mercy. The charity of this infant for the poor was so great, that she used to give them part of her own dinner. Her reverence in the church, her sweetness at home, her knowledge of holy things, were most wonderful. All good children love the Blessed Virgin Mary very much.

XXXIII. The Children who Loved the Blessed Virgin.

ST. TERESA was twelve years old when her mother died. As soon as her mother was dead, she went and knelt down before an image of the Blessed Virgin. She prayed to the Blessed Virgin with tears in her eyes, and asked her to be a mother to her. She says that this did her great good, and said, after this, whenever she prayed to the Blessed Virgin, she was always helped by her.

St. Andrew Corsini was at first a bad boy, till his parents told him that they had consecrated him to the Blessed Virgin, when he became good.

When St. Clare was about seven years old, she loved to say the Rosary. But she had no Rosary beads to count the Hail Marys, so she used to get a good many little stones, and count the Hail Marys with the stones. There never was a good child who did not love the Blessed Virgin Mary very much.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »

XXXIV. The Children who Learnt their Catechism.

WHEN the venerable Margaret was only four years old she began to learn the Catechism, and she loved to think about the things she had learned in the Catechism. After some time the Jesuit Fathers made him a teacher in the Sunday-school. When he was nine years old he made his First Communion.

The Child in School.

WHEN the venerable Benedict Joseph Labre was a little boy at school, sometimes the other boys beat him. He was always silent, and never said any thing about it. If the master found it out, and was going to punish any of the boys who beat him, he always asked pardon for them. When school was over he always waited till the last, and let all the others go out before him. The master asked him why he did this. He said the other boys liked to go out first, and besides, I shall get home as soon as they do. And so he did, for he did not stop about the streets to play, but went straight home. He was at that time only six years old! He always did what his school-fellows wanted him, if it was not wrong. So if they said: "Benedict, do this," he did it directly. When he was five years old he often went to confession. He was always the first at catechism and prayers. When he served at mass, he joined his little hands before his breast, kept his eyes looking on the ground, and he never turned his head to look at any thing.

XXXV. The Child taught by God.

WHEN St. Rose was a little child her mother wanted her to learn reading and writing. Rose did not like the trouble of learning. Her mother asked the Priest to scold her so Rose got a scolding. Next morning while Rose was saying her prayers, she asked God to teach her how to read and write. When she had finished her prayers she got up and went to her mother. A most wonderful thing had happened. The mother found that Rose was able now to read and write. God himself had taught her while she was praying! So when children are learning to read or write, or any thing, every day they should pray, and ask Almighty God to help them to learn.

XXXVI. The little Boy that was Stupid.

THERE was a little boy called Albert who was very stupid, and could learn nothing. He was so stupid in learning that his companions used to call him "the ass." The little boy was not idle, for he did his best to learn. Still he could not learn. He had been at school two years and learnt nothing. He was very vexed with himself be cause he found it so difficult to learn any thing. He thought it was no use trying any more to learn. He was going to run away. However, he had always loved the Blessed Virgin Mary very much, and he often prayed to her. At last the night came when he had fixed to run away. He was just setting off -- when he saw before him the Blessed Virgin. He knelt down before her and prayed that he might be able to learn. She said to him: "My child, you ask me for what often does people great harm. When people can read, they often read bad books. When they know a great deal they often become proud of their knowledge. However, I promise you, that after this, you shall be very quick in learning. But if your knowledge makes you proud, I will take it away from you." Next day the little boy Albert went to school. But he was wonderfully changed. He found that he could learn quicker than any other boy in the school. All the scholars wondered at this change, but they did not know how it came.

Albert learnt a great deal, and at last he knew so much, that everywhere people came in crowds to listen to him. People from all parts of the world sent to ask him difficult questions, and he was always able to answer them. He never felt proud of his knowledge. So he lived till he was eighty years old. Then one day he was preaching in a very large church at Cologne. The church was filled quite full with thousands of people. He preached so well that there was not the least noise in that great crowd. Everybody had their eyes fixed on him. Then, for the first time, he felt a temptation to be proud when he saw the people so still and glad to listen to him. Just at that moment he stopped. He gave over preaching -- he had forgotten all that he knew. The Blessed Virgin had told him that he should lose all his knowledge when he should begin to get proud. So at that moment he lost all the knowledge that he had, and he know no more than an infant.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »

"My child, you ask me for what often does people great harm."

...  crucifix

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »

This is an older thread but it is full of such nice things; such good advice. Thanks for posting it!

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »

I always encourage reviving them!

Actually I had just taken out the Fr. Furniss book before you commented on it, and thought to myself, "I ought to sit down and transcribe some more of it."

It is quite an old rare book, little worn fragments of it fall off whenever I open it.

Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2015, 06:03:39 AM »

XXXVII. How the Child Jesus listened.

In Jerusalem there was a very large chapel; it was called the Temple. One day some priests were there; they were teaching the people what they ought to know about Almighty God. Amongst the people who were listening to the priest there was a child. This child was the child Jesus, the son of God, the second Person of the Blessed Trinity! He wanted to be an example to the children, that they might know how to do when they are at catechism, or at any instruction. What then did the child Jesus do? He was very quiet. He listened, and he listened attentively to what was said. He did not attend to other things, but only to what was said at the instruction. When the priest asked him a question, he gave the answer, to teach children to learn the answers of the catechism. He knew all things, and still he sometimes asked questions. He did this to show the children that if they do not understand something, they should ask the meaning of it. He spoke so that everybody wondered to hear his wisdom and his answers. How good it was of the child Jesus to show the children how to behave at catechism, and when they are instructed. Soon after Jesus was born, he was carried to the temple and offered to God. Since that time all good Christian parents offer their children to Almighty God.

XXXVIII. Children offered to God.

The Boy and the Goat.

AN old man one day came to the great church of Montserrat, in Spain. He brought with him his little boy and a kid. He wanted to offer them to God. An ignorant man who was standing at the door said: "We will take the kid, but we do not want the little boy." The Abbot heard of this; he was very angry with the man who had sent away the little boy. So he sent somebody after the old man to tell him that the little boy might come back. The little boy came back. The Abbot was very kind to him, and put him to school. When the little boy was nine years old, he began to wear the same dress as the monks. He was very good, and afterwards he became Abbot and built a new church. All this account about him may be read on his gravestone.

When St. Alphonsus was a baby, he was carried to St. Francis Jerome. St. Francis made the sign of the cross over him, and said he would live to be ninety years old, and be a bishop, and do great things for Almighty God. All this happened afterwards. The days of childhood are the days of God. The bees get the honey in the summer, that they may eat it in the winter. So you must learn to be holy when you are at little child, that you may be holy when you grow old. In all ages, says Digby, men observing and thoughtful, have been struck with the mysteries of childhood. How solemn a thing it is, says Faber, to be in company with little children, so lately come as it were from God's neighborhood. They are in that state in which we ourselves once were. But, alas, we did not understand until it had slipped away from us.

XXXIX. How St. Peter of Alcantara, when a Boy, Spent the Day.

Every morning the little Peter got up very early. He prayed for several hours. Then he went to the church and heard mass. He often received Holy Communion. He got his lessons ready before he went to school. At school he was very attentive, and did his best to learn his lessons. He was very obedient to his masters. He said some little prayer very often, both in the school and as he walked along the streets. At his meals he took only water to and left some of his dinner on his plate for the love of God. In the afternoon, when school was over, he went to see sick people, and was very kind to them. Then he went and and made visit to the Blessed Sacrament. In the evening he said his night prayers, and made at good examination of conscience. While he was getting ready to go to bed, he said the De Profundis for his soul, as if he was already dead. Every day he read holy books. On Sunday he was in the church all the morning, and served at many masses. Whenever a poor man came to the door to beg, he always gave him something. He was so devout to the Blessed Virgin that one day he saw her with a great many angels round her. Every child should have a Rule of Life.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »

RULE OF LIFE FOR CHILDREN.

I. IN THE MORNING, WHEN YOU WAKEN, make the Sign of the Cross, and say -- "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul."

II. MORNING PRAYERS. When you are dressed, kneel down, and say the Our Father, and Hail Mary, and the Apostles' Creed. Say at least Our Father, and Hail Mary, on your road or at your work. Then make a Meditation.

A Meditation.

1. The Morning offering. -- Think what you will have to do all the day, and how you will do each action well. Prayers, meals, school duties, employments, places you will go to, persons you will speak to, duties to parents or children -- Then say -- "O my God, to thee I offer all that I do this day, with what Jesus did to please thee."

2. Preparation against Temptation. -- Forewarned, Forearmed! Think what temptation you are likely to meet with to-day, and how you will avoid it. Then say -- "O my God, keep me this day from all sin."

III. BEFORE AND AFTER MEALS. Make the Sign of the Cross and say Grace. Before meals say -- Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts which we are going to receive from thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. After meals say -- We give thee thanks, Almighty God, for all thy benefits, who livest and reignest, world without end. Amen. May the souls of the faithful, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

IV. NIGHT PRAYERS. 1. Say -- Our Father, Hail Mary, and Apostles' Creed. 2. Examine your conscience. Say -- "Did I miss my prayers, or commit any sin to-day?" Think for a moment, what sin, -- then say -- "O God, be merciful to me, a sinner." When in bed, put your arms in the form of a cross, and say -- "Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul." If you waken in the night, pray.

V. DAILY VIRTUES. 1. Good Intention. If you pray, eat, sleep, dress yourself, talk, sing, walk, sit down, take a message, light a candle, go to school, read, write, sew, work, in every action, little or great, say, -- at the beginning, or middle, or end of it -- "my Jesus, I do all for you." 2. If any thing happens to you which you do not like, say -- "O my God, thy will be done." 3. Be kind to everybody. 4. Forgive those who offend you, and speak kindly to them. 5. Parents, watch over and give good example to your children. 6. Children, love, respect, and obey your parents and masters, in all that is not sin.

VI. GOOD PRACTICES. Every day hear Mass -- visit the Blessed Sacrament and some image or picture of the Blessed Virgin -- say the Rosary, or at least one decade -- read some good book -- say the Angelus, morning, noon, and night -- be in some pious confraternity -- make a retreat every year -- read this Rule of Life every Sunday. Pray daily for Perseverance. Often say to yourself, "God sees me."

VII. TEMPTATION. 1. If a temptation comes, turn away from it and say, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, help me," or say the Hail Mary till it goes away. 2. Put a bad thought out of your heart quickly, as you would shake a burning spark off your hand. 3. Keep your eyes, ears, tongue, and hands from what is bad. 4. Keep away from bad company, public-houses, whiskey shops, bad dancing and singing-houses, gambling-houses, theatres, bad wakes, do not read bad journals, bad books.

VIII. SINS COMMITTED. -- He that loveth sin, hateth his own soul. (Ps. x.) 1. If you commit a mortal sin make an Act of Contrition directly, and go to confession as soon as you can. 2. For a venial sin, be sorry and strike your breast.

IX. THE SACRAMENTS. Go to the confession and Holy Communion at Easter and at least once every month. Do not wilfully conceal a sin in confession. If you are afraid to tell a sin at confession, say to the priest, "Please, Father, help me to tell a sin." If you doubt whether something you do is right or wrong, say, "Please, Father, I have a doubt."

X. DEATH. 1. Settle your worldly affairs. 2. Get ready for confession, Holy Viaticum, Extreme Unction. 3. When you are dying be sure to make an Act of Contrition: say, "O my God, I am very sorry that I have sinned against thee, because thou art so good, and I will not sin again." A good Act of Contrition will save your soul, if there is no priest to hear your confession when dying. 4. Be willing to die because it is God's will. Say, "O my God, thy will be done."

Live every day as if you were to die that day.

Apoc. ii. "Be thou faithful until death, and I will give thee the Crown of Life."

Then, my child, give your first years, your early years, to Almighty God. All first things, and early things, are beautiful before God and man. The first rays of the sun, when it rises over the mountain tops, the first white lily which is seen in the early spring, when the snows are melting away, the beautiful colors of the rose-bud when it first opens -- but above all, the early years of childhood -- please God. The infancy of Jesus is the glory and delight of the Christian Church. Mary, the mother of Jesus, consecrated her first years to God. Many hundreds and thousands of children there were who gave the years of their childhood to Almighty God. Many children there have been, who, pleasing God in their childhood, were taken away out of this world into Heaven, because God foresaw that if they had lived to be older, perhaps malice would creep into their hearts, and they would not love him any more. Then, my child, "remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth." Eccles. xii. Give the years of your childhood to God, who loves the years of childhood more than he loves any other years, and who gives joy to those who love him when they are little. Ps. xlii. 4. Be not wicked in your childhood; if you are wicked when you are young, you will be wicked when you grow old; for it is a proverb: "A young man according to his way, even when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov. xxii.: and then "his bones will be filled with the vices of his youth, and they will sleep with him in the dust. Job xx. These years are passing away, hasten then, and offer them to God, say: "My God, I give you the years of my childhood. May they be as the childhood of Jesus!"

A bird is made to fly, a fish to swim. In Book III., the little child will find what it is made for.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2015, 12:19:27 PM »

I think this is a great Rule of Life to print out and keep ahold of.  Cheesy

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »

I have tried a few times to write a rule for myself, it always turns into something over ambitious and unworkable.
This one is very nice!
Thank you!   

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »

I know what you mean!  Cheesy

I think I will make this Rule into a pamphlet for folks to easily print out at some point.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Readings from Fr. John Furniss « previous next »
Jump to: