Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705562 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: November 08, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »

'Evil is cleansed away by bloody lashes, and a scourging to the inmost being.'

Proverbs 20:30

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 08, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »

I come now to the soul or the life-giving principle of all the virtues.
I refer to charity, the virtue alone capable of leading a man to real holiness.
In mortifying the flesh, in overcoming sin and in attaining to grace, nothing avails like charity.
Would you reach the highest rung of the ladder of perfection?
Nothing could possibly be devised to help you more than charity.

Saint Bonaventure Holiness of Life chapter 7

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1922 on: November 09, 2020, 02:18:38 AM »

'He who does that which is displeasing to himself has discovered the secret of pleasing God.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 09, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

Chapter 18 No Gift of God is More Excellent Than Love.
"There is no gift of God more excellent than [love]. [Love] alone distinguishes the sons of the eternal kingdom from the sons of eternal perdition. Other gifts, too, are given by the Holy Spirit; but without love they profit nothing. Unless, therefore, the Holy Spirit is so far imparted to each, as to make him one who loves God and his neighbor, he is not removed from the left hand to the right. Nor is the Spirit specially called the Gift, unless on account of love."

Saint Augustine On the Trinity Book 15 Chapter 18
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:15:29 AM by Benedict » Logged

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1924 on: November 10, 2020, 04:12:44 AM »

'If you understand what is said in a mystical sense by St Paul, that "we wrestle . . . against spiritual wickedness" (Eph. 6:12), you will also understand the parable of the Lord, which He spoke "to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to lose heart" (Luke 18:1).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1925 on: November 11, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »

'To begin and end well, devotion to our Blessed Lady, the Mother of God, is nothing less than indispensable.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1926 on: November 12, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »

'His mistake was to justify himself; who does that destroys himself.'

St. Poemen

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 12, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »

Counsel of Trent Session 6 Chapter 6
The manner of Preparation.
Now they (adults) are disposed unto ... justice, when, excited and assisted by divine grace, conceiving faith by hearing, they are freely moved towards God, believing those things to be true which God has revealed and promised, and this especially, that God justifies the impious by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus; and when, understanding themselves to be sinners, they, by turning themselves, from the fear of divine justice whereby they are profitably agitated, to consider the mercy of God, are raised unto hope, confiding that God will be propitious to them for Christ's sake; and they begin to love Him as the fountain of all justice; and are therefore moved against sins by a certain hatred and detestation, to wit, by that penitence which must be performed before baptism: lastly, when they purpose to receive baptism, to begin a new life, and to keep the commandments of God. Concerning this disposition it is written; He that cometh to God, must believe that He is, and is a rewarder to them that seek Him; and, Be of good faith, son, thy sins are forgiven thee; and, The fear of the Lord driveth out sin; and, Do penance, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost; and, Going, therefore, teach ye all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; finally, Prepare your hearts unto the Lord.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1928 on: November 13, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »

'We should consider our departed brethren as living members of Jesus Christ, animated by His grace, and certain of participating one day of His glory. We should therefore love, serve, and assist them as far as is in our power.'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1929 on: November 14, 2020, 02:22:07 AM »

'From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1930 on: November 15, 2020, 03:27:22 AM »

'I call those thoughts mean which, in spite of the vain efforts to prolong them, can only last for a short space of time; I call those despicable which extend not beyond this earth.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1931 on: November 16, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »

'But if any of you want wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all men abundantly, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.'

James 1:5

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1932 on: November 17, 2020, 06:07:35 AM »

'Speak a great deal with God, and little with men.'

St. Ephrem

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 18, 2020, 02:42:12 AM »

"The law itself, by being fulfilled, becomes grace and truth. Grace is the fulfillment of love, and truth is the accomplishment of the prophecies."
Saint Augustine from Reply to Faustus XVII

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1934 on: November 19, 2020, 05:34:33 AM »

'In vain will our sacred discourses strike the external ear, unless God by a spiritual gift opens the hearing of the interior man.'

St. Fulgentius of Ruspe

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: November 20, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »

"Doctrine without assisting grace, although it comes in through the ears, never descends to the heart; it makes a great noise outside, but inside it profits nothing. However, the word of God brought in through the ears ultimately reaches to the heart when the grace of God touches the mind interiorly so that it might be understood. For just as God illuminates people with the flame of His divine love so that they might understand in a life-giving manner, so also he deserts the frigid and lazy so that they persist without awareness." Saint Isidore of Seville Sententiae Book 3 Chapter 10 verse 1&2

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: