Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700908 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1952 on: December 06, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »

'Just as a tempered metal can sharpen soft or rusty metal, so can a zealous brother set a tepid one on the right track.'

St. John Climacus

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1953 on: December 07, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »

'The Holy Spirit is light and strength. He teaches us to distinguish between truth and falsehood, and between good and evil. Like glasses that magnify objects, the Holy Spirit shows us good and evil on a large scale. With the Holy Spirit we see everything in its true proportions; we see the greatness of the least actions done for God, and the greatness of the least faults. As a watchmaker with his glasses distinguishes the most minute wheels of a watch, so we, with the light of the Holy Spirit, distinguish all the details of our poor life. Then the smallest imperfections appear very great, the least sins inspire us with horror. That is the reason why the most Holy Virgin never sinned. The Holy Spirit made her understand the hideousness of sin; she shuddered with terror at the least fault.

Those who have the Holy Spirit cannot endure themselves, so well do they know their poor misery. The proud are those who have not the Holy Spirit.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1954 on: December 08, 2020, 04:46:23 PM »

'The perfection of a Christian consists in knowing how to mortify himself for the love of Christ.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1955 on: December 09, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »

'The virtues possess a fund of goodness from which the holy intellect brings forth blessings.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1956 on: December 10, 2020, 07:13:54 AM »

'I have to seek only the glory of God, my own sanctification, and the salvation of my neighbor. I should therefore devote myself to these things, if necessary, at the peril of my life.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1957 on: December 11, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

'Blessed the one who manages his possessions in accordance with God's will and has not been condemned by God the Saviour as a lover of money without compassion for his neighbour.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1958 on: December 12, 2020, 05:12:58 AM »

'If you have not yet received the gift of prayer or psalmody, ask persistently, and you will receive.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1959 on: December 13, 2020, 04:27:33 AM »

'Young men should be very careful to avoid idleness.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1960 on: December 14, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »

'If a man falls into some sin and does not feel remorse for his offence as he should, he will easily fall into the same net again.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1961 on: December 15, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »

'Then I read the Gospel, and saw there that a great means of reaching perfection was the selling of one's goods, the sharing of them with the poor, the giving up of all care for this life, and the refusal to allow the soul to be turned by any sympathy towards things of earth.'

St. Basil the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1962 on: December 16, 2020, 02:23:42 AM »

'As far as you can, do some manual work so as to be able to give alms, for it is written that alms and faith purify from sin.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1963 on: December 17, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »

'Have the mentality of an exile in the place where you live, do not desire to be listened to and you will have peace.'

St. Poemen

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 18, 2020, 12:35:03 AM »

"God is the cause of created beings and of their inherent goodness. Thus he who is puffed up with his virtue and knowledge, and whose grace-given progress in virtue is not matched by a corresponding recognition of his own weakness, falls inevitably into the sin of pride. He who seeks goodness for the sake of his own reputation prefers himself to God, for he has been pierced by the nail of self-esteem. By doing or speaking what is virtuous in order to be seen by men, he sets a much higher value on the approbation of men than on that of God. In short, he is a victim of the desire to be popular. And he who immorally makes use of morality solely to deceive by his solemn display of virtue, and hides the evil disposition of his will under the outward form of piety, barters virtue for the guile of hypocrisy. He aims at something other than die cause of all things." Saint Maximos

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1965 on: December 18, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »

'Oh, how I like those little mortifications that are seen by nobody, such as rising a quarter of an hour sooner, rising for a little while in the night to pray!'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1966 on: December 20, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »

'A man ought to mortify his understanding in little things, if he wishes easily to mortify it in great ones, and to advance in the way of virtue.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1967 on: December 22, 2020, 03:48:46 AM »

'Let your baptism be ever your shield, your faith a helmet, your charity a spear, your patience a panoply. Let your works be deposits, so that you may receive the sum that is due you.'

St. Ignatius of Antioch

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: