Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700899 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1984 on: January 07, 2021, 05:12:11 AM »

'When a man is reproved for anything, he ought not to take it too much to heart, for we commit a greater fault by our sadness than by the sin for which we are reproved.'

St. Philip Neri

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1985 on: January 08, 2021, 03:24:46 AM »

'To continue my spiritual prescription: grind all your sufferings in the mill of patience and silence; knead them with the balm of Our Saviour's Passion into a little pill; swallow it with faith and love, and let the heat of charity digest it.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1986 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:42 AM »

'And know how to talk in moderation even with those whom thou lovest with spiritual love; reflect that if thou didst not do this, thou wouldst place a limit before perceiving it to that limitless love which thou oughtest to bear to God, by placing the finite creature between you: for the love which thou shouldst place in God thou wouldst place in the creature, loving it without moderation; and this would hinder thy perfection. Therefore thou shouldst love it spiritually, in a disciplined way.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1987 on: January 10, 2021, 03:15:27 AM »

'But, my daughter, I am going a step further, and I bid you everywhere and in everything rejoice in your own abjection. Perhaps you will ask in reply what I mean by that. In Latin abjection means humility, and humility means abjection, so that when Our Lady says in the Magnificat that all generations shall call her blessed, because God hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden, she means that He has accepted her abjection and lowliness in order to fill her with graces and favours. Nevertheless, there is a difference between humility and abjection; for abjection is the poverty, vileness and littleness which exist in us, without our taking heed to them; but humility implies a real knowledge and voluntary recognition of that abjection. And the highest point of humility consists in not merely acknowledging one's abjection, but in taking pleasure therein, not from any want of breadth or courage, but to give the more glory to God's Divine Majesty, and to esteem one's neighbour more highly than one's self. This is what I would have you do;'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1988 on: January 11, 2021, 03:18:40 AM »

'Since they are unwilling to be deceived, they are unwilling to be convinced that they have been deceived.

Therefore, they hate the truth for the sake of whatever it is that they love in place of the truth.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1989 on: January 12, 2021, 04:38:42 AM »

'The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer than when you are full of joy.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1990 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »

'The reason why so many souls who apply themselves to prayer are not inflamed with God's love is, that they neglect to carefully prepare themselves for it.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1991 on: January 14, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »

'It is well to choose some one good devotion, and to stick to it, and never to abandon it.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1992 on: January 15, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »

'Give an occasion to a wise man, and wisdom shall be added to him (Prov. ix. 9).

A little thing is often an occasion to a wise man of growing wiser, nay, often he learns wisdom from the very stupidity of another. . .'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: January 16, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »

'A zeal that is not charitable comes from a charity that is not genuine.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1994 on: January 19, 2021, 07:55:06 AM »

'The Sacred Heart of Jesus is an abyss of love, a sure refuge, where we can take shelter in every difficulty, and we can be sure He thinks more about us than we think about our own affairs.'

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1995 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:03 AM »

'Weakness of body is one thing, and instability of mind another, and both need compassion.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1996 on: January 23, 2021, 06:39:47 AM »

'With his whole heart he praised the Lord (Ecclus. xlvii. 10). Behold the end of thy creation, behold the task set thee as God's servant!'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1997 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »

'Yes, indeed, thou was created for this; to praise Him, and to praise Him without end; which thou wilt then more fully understand when, entranced by the blessed vision of Himself, thou shalt see that by His sole and gratuitous goodness thou, when thou wast not, wast created out of nothing; so blessed, and to such unspeakable bliss created; created, called, justified, glorified. Such a contemplation as that will give thee an untiring love of praising Him without end; from whom, and through whom, and in whom thou wilt rejoice in being blessed with blessings so great and unchangeable.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1998 on: January 25, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »

'Wherever we are, we live, move, and are in Him; whilst also we have Him within us. But, returning from the beatitude that is to be, do thou with the eye of contemplation consider a while the abundance of grace wherewith He hath enriched thee even in this fleeting life. He, very God, whose dwelling is in heaven, whose throne among the angels, He to whom heaven and earth, with all that they contain do bow down and obey, has offered Himself to thee as thine abode, and furnished and prepared His presence for thee; for, as the Apostle teaches, "in Him we live, and move, and be" (Acts xvii. 28.). So to live, how sweet! So to move, how lovable! So to be, how desirable! For what more sweet than to have life in Him who is the very life of bliss itself? What more lovable than to rule each movement of will or act of ours towards Him and in Him, seeing that He will stablish us in an unending security? What more desirable than in aspiration and in act evermore in Him to be, in whom alone -- or rather who alone -- is true being, and apart from whom none can rightly be?'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1999 on: January 27, 2021, 02:26:34 AM »

'There is nothing sweeter and milder, and at the same time stronger and more efficacious than the gentle unction of the burning charity of this lovable Heart, to convert the most hardened souls and to penetrate the most unfeeling hearts.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: