Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2021, 02:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 467333 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2080 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »

'All men are made in God's image; but to be in His likeness is granted only to those who through great love have brought their own freedom into subjection to God. For only when we do not belong to ourselves do we become like Him who through love has reconciled us to Himself. No one achieves this unless he persuades his soul not to be distracted by the false glitter of this life.'

St. Diadochos of Photiki

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2081 on: August 14, 2021, 12:32:38 AM »

'Let us faithfully transmit to posterity the example of virtue which we have received from our forefathers.'

St. Peter Damian

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2082 on: August 15, 2021, 01:01:51 AM »

'Should we fall a thousand times in a day, a thousand times we must rise again, always animated with unbounded confidence in the infinite goodness of God.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2083 on: August 16, 2021, 02:22:17 AM »

'The Church of the Lord is built upon the rock of the apostles among so many dangers in the world; it therefore remains unmoved. The Church's foundation is unshakable and firm against assaults of the raging sea. Waves lash at the Church but do not shatter it. Although the elements of this world constantly beat upon the Church with crashing sounds, the Church possesses the safest harbor of salvation for all in distress. There is a stream which flows down on God's saints like a torrent. There is also a rushing river giving joy to the heart that is at peace and makes for peace. He who read much and understands much, receives his fill. He who is full, refreshes others. So Scripture says: "If the clouds are full, they will pour rain upon the earth." Therefore, let your words be rivers, clean and limpid, so that you may charm the ears of people. And by the grace of your words win them over to follow your leadership. Solomon says: "The weapons of the understanding are the lips of the wise"; and in another place he says: "Let your lips be bound with wisdom." That is, let the meaning of your words shine forth, let understanding blaze out. Let no word escape your lips in vain or be uttered without depth of meaning.'

St. Ambrose of Milan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2084 on: August 17, 2021, 12:42:58 AM »

'Two contrary qualities, as the philosophers say, cannot co-exist in the same subject. Darkness, which is the love of creatures, and light, which is God, are contrary to one another, for, "What fellowship hath light with darkness?" [2 Cor. 6:14]
The light of Divine union cannot, therefore, dwell in the soul if these affections are not cast away.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2085 on: August 18, 2021, 01:05:04 AM »

'All the liberty and power of the world, compared with the Power and Liberty of the Spirit of God, is but supreme slavery, wretchedness, and captivity; and so he who loves superiority and dignities, and the indulgence of his desires, stands before God, not as a son who is free, but as a person of mean condition, the slave of his passions, because he submits not to the holy teaching, which saith, "He that is the greater among you, let him become as the younger." [St. Luke 22:26] Such an one will never attain to the true liberty of spirit attainable in the Divine union, because slavery has no fellowship with liberty, liberty dwelleth not in a heart subject to desires, for that heart is in captivity, but in that which is free, the heart of a son.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2086 on: August 19, 2021, 12:07:21 AM »

'This explains those words of Our Lord, "It is not good to take the bread of children, and cast it to the dogs;" [St. Matt. 15:26] Our Lord compares those who, renouncing all earthly desires, prepare themselves in simplicity for the graces of the Holy Ghost, with children, and those who satisfy their desires in earthly things, with dogs: children are admitted to the Father's table, and nourished by the Spirit, but only the crumbs which fall from it are given to the dogs. All created things are but the crumbs which fall from the table of God.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2087 on: August 20, 2021, 02:54:14 AM »

'When the intellect is rich in the knowledge of the One, the senses will be completely under control.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2088 on: August 22, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »

'So great a love on the part of Mary deserves our gratitude, and that gratitude should be shown by at least meditating upon and pitying her in her sorrow. But she complained to Saint Bridget that very few did so, and that the greater part of the world lived in forgetfulness of them: "I look around at all who are on earth, to see if by chance there are any who pity me, and meditate upon my sorrows; and I find that there are very few. Therefore, my daughter, though I am forgotten by many, at least do thou not forget me; consider my anguish, and imitate, as far as thou canst, my grief."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2089 on: August 23, 2021, 09:59:58 PM »

'Avoid over-eagerness and strive to model your interior and exterior upon the humble sweetness of the loving Heart of Jesus, doing each of your actions with the same tranquility as if you had but that alone to do.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2090 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:13 AM »

'We do not always rejoice in consolations; but all is for our good, whether God gives or denies it.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2091 on: August 25, 2021, 04:13:24 AM »

'He who combines the practice of the virtues with spiritual knowledge is a man of power. For with the first he withers his desire and tames his incensiveness, and with the second he gives wings to his intellect and goes out of himself to God.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2092 on: August 27, 2021, 02:38:56 AM »

'Blessed the one who does not set his hope on man, but on the Lord, who is coming again in great glory to judge the universe with justice, for he will be like a tree planted by waters and will not fail to bear fruit.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2093 on: August 28, 2021, 06:16:07 AM »

'He said: This is my Body; therefore the Eucharist is not the figure of his Body and Blood, as some have said, talking nonsense in their stupid minds, but it is in very truth the Blood and Body of Christ.'

St. Macarius the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2094 on: August 29, 2021, 06:05:22 AM »

'Happy are they who have received Thee today in the Blessed Sacrament, O Jesus. Blessed are the walls of the Church that guard my Jesus. Blessed are the priests, who are always near the most lovable Jesus.'

St. Mary Frances of the Five Wounds

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2095 on: August 30, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »

'The sublime providence of the Creator preserves everything that is.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: