Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 01, 2024, 06:44:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 187 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 691235 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2896 on: December 07, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »

'As a man lives, so shall he die.'

St. Augustine

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2897 on: December 08, 2023, 03:39:04 PM »

'Patient self-control and long-suffering love dry up the pleasures of soul and body.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2898 on: December 10, 2023, 02:52:52 AM »

'Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.'

2 Corinthians 9:7

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2899 on: December 10, 2023, 06:46:01 AM »

'He shall be the greatest who will make himself the least. He that humbles himself the most profoundly shall be the most exalted; he shall have, the more easily, access to that wine-cellar, that royal hall, whence opens that secret sanctuary in which the soul communes face to face with her divine Spouse.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2900 on: December 12, 2023, 04:57:55 AM »

'We grow proud when the passions cease to be active in us, and this whether they are inactive because their causes have been eradicated or because the demons have deliberately withdrawn in order to deceive us.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2901 on: December 13, 2023, 06:04:20 AM »

'I recommend to you not to lose sight of the Passion and death of Jesus, our life.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2902 on: December 13, 2023, 06:05:25 AM »

'I cast myself down I know not how, under a certain fig-tree, giving full vent to my tears; and the floods of mine eyes gushed out an acceptable sacrifice to Thee. And, not indeed in these words, yet to this purpose, spake I much unto Thee: and Thou, O Lord, how long? how long, Lord, wilt Thou be angry forever? Remember not our former iniquities, for I felt that I was held by them. I sent up these sorrowful words: How long, how long, "to-morrow, and tomorrow?" Why not now? why not is there this hour an end to my uncleanness?

So was I speaking and weeping in the most bitter contrition of my heart, when, lo! I heard from a neighbouring house a voice, as of boy or girl, I know not, chanting, and oft repeating, "Take up and read; Take up and read." [tolle, lege; tolle, lege.] Instantly, my countenance altered, I began to think most intently whether children were wont in any kind of play to sing such words: nor could I remember ever to have heard the like. So checking the torrent of my tears, I arose; interpreting it to be no other than a command from God to open the book, and read the first chapter I should find. For I had heard of Antony, that coming in during the reading of the Gospel, he received the admonition, as if what was being read was spoken to him: Go, sell all that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come and follow me: and by such oracle he was forthwith converted unto Thee. Eagerly then I returned to the place where Alypius was sitting; for there had I laid the volume of the Apostle when I arose thence. I seized, opened, and in silence read that section on which my eyes first fell: Not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying; but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, in concupiscence. No further would I read; nor needed I: for instantly at the end of this sentence, by a light as it were of serenity infused into my heart, all the darkness of doubt vanished away.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2903 on: December 14, 2023, 06:19:24 AM »

'God is your business and language. Whoever wants to speak to you must learn this language; and if he doesn't, be on your guard that you don't learn his; it will be a hell.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2904 on: December 15, 2023, 10:26:41 AM »

'Weeping is the way that Scripture and our Fathers have handed on to us.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2905 on: December 16, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »

'Leave your soul free to take her flight to the Sovereign Good as God shall guide her.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2906 on: December 17, 2023, 07:11:11 AM »

'Our Lord wishes us to have great charity for our neighbor, for whom we should pray as for ourselves; it is one of the characteristic effects of this devotion to reconcile hearts and to bring peace to souls.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2907 on: December 18, 2023, 06:26:08 AM »

'The person who listens to Christ fills himself with light; and if he imitates Christ, he reclaims himself.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2908 on: December 19, 2023, 11:32:34 AM »

'If you do not wish to believe we will commend your soul to God because we declare that if you die while holding to your law you will be lost; God will not accept your soul. For this reason we have come to you.'

St. Francis of Assisi, and Brother Illuminato, to the Sultan al-Kamil

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2909 on: December 20, 2023, 08:08:47 PM »

'Sometimes the intellect that has attained a partial dispassion will remain undisturbed; but this is because, in the absence of the things that provoke it, it is not put to the test.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2910 on: December 21, 2023, 04:20:33 PM »

'If Nabuzardan, the head-cook, had not come, the temple of the Lord would not have been burned: (2 Kings 24:Cool that is to say: if slackness and greed did not come into the soul, the spirit would not be overcome in combat with the enemy.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2911 on: December 23, 2023, 09:06:29 AM »

'If you wish to find the way that leads to life, look for it in the Way who says, "I am the way, the door, the truth and the life" (John 10:7; 14:6), and there you will find it. Only let your search be diligent and painstaking, for "few there are that find it" (Matt. 7:14) and if you are not among the few you will find yourself with the many.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 187 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: