Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 06, 2020, 02:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 108 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 411433 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: May 14, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »

'As for me, I am cheerful, tranquil and content, only because I am doing the will of God. I proclaim that I want to live and die with total abandonment to him. Is it not a great thing for a soul to know with certainty that one is fulfilling the divine will?'

St. Gaspar del Bufalo

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »

To come to enjoy what you have not
     you must go by a way in which you enjoy not.

To come to the knowledge you have not
     you must go by a way in which you know not.

To come to the possession you have not
     you must go by a way in which you possess not.

To come to be what you are not
     you must go by a way in which you are not.

St. John of the Cross,
The Ascent of Mt. Carmel, Book 1, Ch 13, 11

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »

St. John of the Cross reminds me of St. John the Apostle!

'The more you devote yourself to study of the sacred utterances, the richer will be your understanding of them, just as the more the soil is tilled, the richer the harvest.'

St. Isidore of Seville

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »

'Failure to obtain pleasure induces a culpable kind of distress he who scorns pleasure is free from distress.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »

'In God's sight, our cross is as a precious balm which loses its aroma on exposure to the air; therefore we must make every effort to hide our cross and carry it in silence.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: May 28, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »

'"He that loveth his life (in this world) shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world, keepeth it unto life eternal." (John 12:25).

These are Thy words. To love one's life in this world means to surrender oneself to bodily pleasure and sin, to obey one's self-will, to run away (from duty) in order to escape contempt, to hold bitter resentment against people who offend us. To hate one's life means to practise (dutiful) motification generously, to deny one's self-will, to hunt contempt (when to do so is in accord with duty,) to return good for evil. Have I done this? Alas for Me!

Alas! Jesus' lips condemn me! Have I failed to be counted among those who hate their own life?'

St. Anthony Mary Claret, meditations

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."

St. Thomas Aquinas

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: June 03, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »

'Let none rashly think that he may despise the holy and Catholic testimonies of the Fathers: whosoever despises them, scattered by Providence over ages and nations, when they are unanimous on any Catholic dogma, does not despise them, but God. It is necessary for all Catholics, who are ambitious of being legitimate sons of the Church, to adhere, unite to, and persevere in the faith of the Fathers; but to reject, detest, and persecute all profane novelties.'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »

'We truly love God and keep His commandments if we restrain ourselves from our pleasures. For he who still abandons himself to unlawful desires certainly does not love God, since he contradicts Him in his own intentions. . . Therefore, he loves God truly, whose mind is not conquered by consent to evil delight. For the more one takes pleasure in lower things, the more he is separated from heavenly love.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 07, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »

'It is simply impossible to lead, without the aid of prayer, a virtuous life.'
St. John Chrysostom

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2014, 06:56:43 AM »

'The promised land is the kingdom of heaven whose ambassadors are dispassion and spiritual knowledge.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »

'If, on going to the garden to pluck some fruits, you were surprised by a heavy rain, what would you do? You would seek shelter under the shed, would you not? So when sorrow, bitterness, tribulation, rain down upon you, you must seek a refuge in the safe asylum of the will of God, and you shall not be troubled.'

St. Paul of the Cross

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2014, 03:13:00 AM »

"Know that the greatest service that man can offer to God is to help convert souls."

~ St. Rose of Lima

"O my God, you and you alone are all wise and all knowing! You know, you have determined everything that will happen to us from first to last. You have ordered things in the wisest way, and you know what will be my lot year by year until I die. You know how long I have to live. You know how I shall die. You have precisely ordained everything, sin excepted. Every event of my life is the best for me that it could be, for it comes from you. You bring me on year by year, by your wonderful Providence, from youth to age, with the most perfect wisdom, and with the most perfect love."

~  Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »

'As for those who radiate the beauty of the soul, the longer time goes by and test their proper nobility, the warmer they make their husband's love and the more they strengthen their affection for him. Since this is so, and since a warm and genuine friendship holds between them, every kind of immorality is driven out. Not even any thought of wantonness ever enters the mind of the man who truly loves his own wife, but he continues always content with her. By his chastity he attracts the good will and protection of God for his whole household. This is how the good men of ancient times used to take wives, seeking nobility of soul rather than monetary wealth.'

St. John Chrysostom

St. Rose pray for us!

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »

Amen, Amen.  Little Angel

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »

'Would that I could set the whole world on fire with the love of God!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01:59 AM »

'I find myself threatened by new combats. . . Storms succeed each other, darkness increases, fears do not vanish, demons harass me, men slander me, combats within, fears without, darkness, coldness, tepidity, desolation. What can one do in the midst of so many dangers? Ah! death is more desirable than life. Yes, if such is the will of God, may the door of a blessed eternity open to me! I know not which way to turn; however, I have faith and confidence that God will accomplish His work in a wonderful way.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 108 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: