Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:10:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705591 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »

'All vices must first be eradicated by the practice of good works in the active life, so that, the mind's eye being purified, one may advance to the contemplation of God in the contemplative life.'

St. Isidore of Seville

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 02, 2014, 01:50:03 AM »

A very inspiring quote! Thank you my friend!  Cheesy

If you think deeply for a minute you'll find he is speaking of contemplation.

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 07, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

“Son, if you want peace, you must first rid your heart of the devil.”
St. John Bosco

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: November 08, 2014, 04:04:05 AM »

How could one have peace otherwise?

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 08, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »

Many are so misguided as to think they can  Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: November 09, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »

'I cannot sufficiently be astonished that such is the insanity of some men, such the impiety of their blinded understanding, such, finally, their lust after error, that they will not be content with the rule of faith delivered once and for all from antiquity, but must daily seek after something new, and even newer still, and are always longing to add something to religion, or to change it, or to subtract from it!'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »

'The passions lying hidden in the soul provide the demons with the means of arousing impassioned thoughts in us. Then, fighting the intellect through these thoughts, they force it to give its assent to sin. When it has been overcome, they lead it to sin in the mind; and when this has been done they induce it, captive as it is, to commit the sin in action. Having thus desolated the soul by means of these thoughts, the demons then retreat, taking the thoughts with them, and only the specter or idol of sin remains in the intellect. Referring to this our Lord says, "When you see the abominable idol of desolation standing in the holy place (let him who reads understand) . . . " (Matt. 24:15). For man's intellect is a holy place and a temple of God in which the demons, having desolated the soul by means of impassioned thoughts, set up the idol of sin. That these things have already taken place in history no one, I think, who has read Josephus will doubt; though some say that they will also come to pass in the time of the Antichrist.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2014, 04:02:10 AM »

"Do not grieve over the temptations you suffer. When the Lord intends to bestow a particular virtue on us, He often permits us first to be tempted by the opposite vice. Therefore, look upon every temptation as an invitation to grow in a particular virtue and a promise by God that you will be successful, if only you stand fast."
St. Philip Neri

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2014, 04:58:16 AM »

An encouraging quote!

'It is God's custom to interweave human life with a trouble and a consolation, at least, of an interior sort, alternately.'

St. Philip Neri

'Any tempest which assails us and which we did not bring on ourselves through any fault of ours, foretells a consolation soon to follow it.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'When a sinful soul does not accept the afflictions that come to it, the angels say: "We would have healed Babylon, but she was not healed" (Jer. 51:9)'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'He who accepts present afflictions in the expectation of future blessings has found knowledge of the truth; and he will easily be freed from anger and remorse.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Let him who is in consolation think how he will be in the desolation which will come after, taking new strength for then.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »

'But you see before you the mountain of Christian perfection, which is very high, and you exclaim in fearfulness that you can never ascend it. Be of good cheer, my child. When the young bees first begin to live they are mere grubs, unable to hover over flowers, or to fly to the mountains, or even to the little hills where they might gather honey; but they are fed for a time with the honey laid up by their predecessors, and by degrees the grubs put forth their wings and grow strong, until they fly abroad and gather their harvest from all the country round. Now we are yet but as grubs in devotion, unable to fly at will, and attain the desired aim of Christian perfection; but if we begin to take shape through our desires and resolutions, our wings will gradually grow, and we may hope one day to become spiritual bees, able to fly. Meanwhile let us feed upon the honey left us in the teaching of so many holy men of old, praying God that He would grant us doves' wings, so that we may not only fly during this life, but find an abiding resting-place in Eternity.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: November 15, 2014, 03:38:31 AM »

'If you share secretly in the joy of someone you envy, you will be freed from your jealousy; and you will also be freed from your jealousy if you keep silent about the person you envy.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 15, 2014, 04:28:32 AM »

THAT, is a quote to remember and put into practice. How often we silently say, "I wish I had that".

littlepigeons

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: November 15, 2014, 04:35:36 AM »

Yes isn't it great! It's a cure, the precise medicine for the trouble! Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:06 AM »

'Zealous anger troubles the eye of reason, whereas sinful anger blinds it.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: November 15, 2014, 06:19:31 AM »

'The intellect that has shut out the senses, and has achieved a balance in the body's temperament has to fight only against its memories.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »

'It is your self love which makes you resent not being able to do what others can do or having so much dismay on finding that you have need of the help of others; if you were dead to self, you would not be so unhappy.'

The Lord, to St. Gemma Galgani

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: