Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 07:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 712459 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

'Think nothing and do nothing without a purpose directed to God. For to journey without direction is wasted effort.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: February 06, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »

'Love alone harmoniously joins all created things with God and with each other.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:07 AM »

'I cannot sufficiently be astonished that such is the insanity of some men, such the impiety of their blinded understanding, such, finally, their lust after error, that they will not be content with the rule of faith delivered once and for all from antiquity, but must daily seek after something new, and even newer still, and are always longing to add something to religion, or to change it, or to subtract from it!'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »

"For one pain endured with joy, we shall love the good God more forever."

--St. Therese of Lisieux

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 09, 2015, 07:27:33 PM »

"How could I bear a crown of gold when the Lord bears a crown of thorns? And bears it for me!"

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »

How wonderful penance is!

crucifix

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 10, 2015, 04:28:06 AM »

How wonderful penance is!

crucifix

And how necessary!  We would all perish without it.

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 10, 2015, 04:59:14 AM »

I can't wait for lent to begin.  This will be my second lent as a Catholic.
 I used to be a short order cook for a local cafe where I fed the same 15-30
Farmers every day. It was really nice to put together a Lenten salad bar
For the Catholics. And their witness through their sacrifice of meat was one of the things that
Started to draw me in to the Church.  These guys normally  ate an enormous noon meal with lots of meat.
because they would be out in the field until 8 or 9 at night then have a late small supper.  During lent I served lots of grilled
Cheese sandwiches. One of the owners did not care for Catholicism so I was not able to cook any fish for them.
I did put tuna salad, hard boiled eggs and celery with peanut butter on their salad bar, though Grin
She didn't catch on to that part. 

Let nothing disturb you
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 10, 2015, 05:05:22 AM »

Actually my third Lent! Or the fourth if you could count the year when I was on the outside looking in to the church.
I was contemplating joining but too scared to tell anyone!

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: February 10, 2015, 04:22:50 PM »

Ah that's wonderful to read of. If only we had more inspired cooks to help folks to eat properly on penitential days in Lent and throughout the year.

We have to do all we can to help folks to observe the end of the week penance properly.  crucifix

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »

"The best way not to find the bed too cold is to go to bed colder than the bed is."

St. Charles Borromeo

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »

"When you feel the assaults of passion and anger, then is the time to be silent as Jesus was silent in the midst of His ignominies and sufferings."

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

'When elated by praise, be sure disgrace will follow; for it is said: "Whoever exalts himself will be abased" (Luke 14:11).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

That St. Charles quote reminds me of one of St. Bernardine's about straw beds being plenty warm enough.  Cheesy

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »

'When elated by praise, be sure disgrace will follow; for it is said: "Whoever exalts himself will be abased" (Luke 14:11).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

That St. Charles quote reminds me of one of St. Bernardine's about straw beds being plenty warm enough.  Cheesy

Yes, the saints confirm each other.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2015, 02:15:54 AM »

Yes that's the path to follow! Cheesy

'The most extraordinary gift of the scapular from the Mother of God to St. Simon Stock brings its great usefulness not only to the Carmelite Family of Mary but also to all the rest of the Faithful who wish, affiliated to that Family, to follow Mary with a very special devotion.'

Pope Bl. Pius IX

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:53 AM »

'Certain things stop the movement of the passions and do not allow them to grow; others subdue them and make them diminish. For instance, where desire is concerned, fasting, labor and vigils do not allow it to grow, while withdrawal, contemplation, prayer and intense longing for God subdue it and make it disappear. The same is true with regard to anger. Forbearance, freedom from rancor, gentleness, for example, all arrest it and prevent it from growing, while love, acts of charity, kindness and compassion make it diminish.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 192 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: