Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 704931 times)
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »

So hard to do even when we want to do it. We spend our time in gloomy, self-serving or trivial thoughts with no idea of thanksgiving.

It's so true, the devil would have us befuddled and self absorbed. I begin each day with prayers of thanks for all He has done in my life, and I go from there.

George ( Haji )
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »

Let us strive after purity of heart, for the Holy Spirit dwells in candid and simple minds.
St. Phillip Neri

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »

'He that saith he abideth in him, ought himself also to walk, even as he walked.'

1 John 2:6

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

"If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
Luke 9:23

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me."
John 14:6

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »

crucifix

'You must avoid every vice, but above all those which tempt you most: it is in these you will find your greatest danger, if you do not take wise precautions.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:47 AM »

The phrase 'he who loveth danger will perish in it' comes to my mind now and then when I think about temptations.

The border of danger is too dangerous.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »

'The peace of the celestial city is the perfectly ordered and harmonious enjoyment of God, and of one another in God. The peace of all things is the tranquillity of order.'

St. Augustine

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »

'The peace of the celestial city is the perfectly ordered and harmonious enjoyment of God, and of one another in God. The peace of all things is the tranquillity of order.'

St. Augustine

So beautiful, makes you long to be there. Smiley

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

Yes it is so beautiful..

I was thinking the other day about how the opposite of the tranquility of order is the opposite of peace too.

The tranquility of peace..

God bring us into this peace..

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

'Unless various successive spiritual contemplations also occupy the intellect, the practice of virtues by itself cannot free it so entirely from passions that it is able to pray undistractedly. Practice of the virtues frees the intellect only from dissipation and hatred; spiritual contemplation releases it also from forgetfulness and ignorance. In this way the intellect can pray as it should.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »

We must imitate the forbearance of God. Oh, how great is God's forbearance! He endures patiently the temples of the profane men who outrage His majesty; He endures idols and sacrilegious ceremonies; He makes the sun to shine on the evil and upon the good, and His rain descend upon the just and upon the unjust; He makes the elements serve all men alike, the impious as well as the good; the winds blow, the springs burst forth, the harvests swell with waving corn, the grapes ripen, the trees cover themselves with fruit, the forests put on thick foliage, the meadows adorn themselves with the enamel of flowers. God delays vengeance, and patiently waits, that man may correct himself and return to his Savior. Such is the forbearance of the Eternal Father, and similar to it was that of the Son, for all the actions of Jesus Christ were characterized by patience and by that divine evenness of soul of which nothing could disturb the tranquility.
St. Cyprian

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »

Thank you George, I always appreciate a new quote (for me), from an old saint.

'Crocodiles and bees and stones and serpents are worshipped, and God alone on earth either is not worshipped or His worship does not exist with impunity.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »

Thank you Shin, because of you and this site my love for the saints grows deeper every day, I think of them and their wisdom all through the day.

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »

Thanks be to God for the saints.  Cry

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

'. . . and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?'

Micah 6:8

'Be a vase, which thou fillest at the source and at the source dost drink from.

Although thou hadst drawn thy love from God, who is the Source of living water, didst thou not drink it continually in Him thy vase would remain empty.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

'He who opposes unpleasant events opposes the command of God unwittingly. But when someone accepts them with real knowledge, he 'waits patiently for the Lord' (Ps. 27; 14).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: