Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705409 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »

'Each day, let us draw nearer to our beloved homeland in heaven.'

St. Gaspar

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Paul

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »

Here is one that has been speaking to me a lot lately:

"Nothing is more dangerous for beginners in the spiritual life, than to wish to play the master, and to guide and convert others.

Beginners should look after their own conversion and be humble, lest they should fancy they had done some great thing, and so should fall into pride."

St. Philip Neri

I am a convert of only three years (from atheism), and I have found this to be right on!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2014, 12:32:49 AM »

Good to hear! Cheesy

'A man watches a bird flying, and wishes to fly himself, but he cannot, because he has no wings. Even so the will is present with a man to be pure, and blameless, and without spot, and to have no wickedness in him, but to be always with God; but he has not the power. To fly into the air of God and the liberty of the Holy Ghost may be his wish, but unless wings are given him, he cannot. Let us then beseech God to bestow upon us the wings of a dove, even of the Holy Ghost, that we may fly to Him and be at rest, and that He would separate and make to cease from our souls and bodies, that evil wind, which is the sin that dwelleth in the members of our souls and bodies. None but He can do it'

St. Macarius the Great

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »

'We should laud remiss and indolent souls who are easily exhausted in the struggle for good, as well as those souls who are discouraged and fall to despair. Indeed if such souls should display even the smallest good deed, we must praise it and marvel at it, giving them encouragement in their struggle for good.'

St. Synkletike

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: March 03, 2014, 04:18:26 AM »

'For when our Lord was suffering upon the cross, the tombs were burst open, the infernal region was disclosed, the souls leapt forth, the dead returned to life, and many of them were seen in Jerusalem, while the mystery of the cross was being perfected; what time our Lord trampled upon death, dissolved the enmity, bound the strong man, and raised the trophy of the cross, His body being lifted up upon it, that the body might appear on high, and death to be depressed under the foot of flesh. Then the heavenly powers wondered, the angels were astonished, the elements trembled, every creature was shaken while they looked on this new mystery, and the terrific spectacle which was being enacted in the universe. Yet the entire people, as unconscious of the mystery, exulted over Christ in derision; although the earth was rocking, the mountains, the valleys, and the sea were shaken, and every creature of God was smitten with confusion. The lights of heaven were afraid, the sun fled away, the moon disappeared, the stars withdrew their shining, the day came to end; the angel in astonishment departed from the temple after the rending of the veil, and darkness covered the earth on which its Lord had closed His eyes.'

St. Alexander of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »

'Daughters, fight the ancient adversary insistently with fasting, for only he will be crowned who has striven according to the rules. If until the present you have not had a place in which to live your religious life, now you can no longer be excused, because by the grace of God you have buildings suitable enough for living the religious life. From now on I want silence to be kept in the forbidden places, the refectory, the dormitory, and the oratory, and your law to be observed in all other matters. Let none go out through the gate and no one enter except the bishop or some prelate for the sake of preaching or making a visitation. Be not sparing of discipline and vigils. Be obedient to your prioress. Avoid talking idly to one another. Let not your time be wasted in conversation.'

St. Dominic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »

'It is His Will that we should apply to Him in all our needs, with humble, respectful, but very filial trust, abandoning ourselves entirely to His loving care like children to a good father.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »

'Worldly virtues promote human glory, spiritual virtues the glory of God.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »

Howl thou, fir-tree, for the cedar has fallen
Zechariah 11:2
If Judas, an apostle could fall so low, what about us? Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »

I thought the other day, what would it have been like if it had been 11 traitors and 1 faithful?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: March 29, 2014, 04:48:23 AM »

'Jerusalem is the celestial knowledge of immaterial beings; within it the vision of peace can be contemplated.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:25 AM »

'Everything in religion was a delight unto me; and it is true that now and then I used to sweep the house during those hours of the day which I had formerly spent on my amusements and my dress; and, calling to mind that I was delivered from such follies, I was filled with a new joy that surprised me, nor could I understand whence it came.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 10, 2014, 06:39:27 PM »

The first requirement of salvation is to keep the standard of the True Faith.

- Pope Saint Adrian II (867-872)

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

One single Mass gives more honor to God than all the penances of the Saints, the labors of the Apostles, the sufferings of the martyrs, and even the burning love of the Blessed Mother of God.

- Saint Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787)

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:42 PM »

The effort to live an integral Catholic life is a daily crucifixion, for it demands sustained effort and involves continuous hardship. One will have much to suffer who endeavors to act uprightly in all his dealings and to fulfill his duties to his Creator in spite of the repugnance of nature. The evil in us strikes much deeper roots in our being than we are aware. Death is dealt to this evil by the brave bearing of the daily cross. Our life will flourish in the exact measure of the death of the evil self in us.

- Father Edward Leen, C.S.Sp. (1885-1944)

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »

'Be as eager to break your own will as the thirsty stag is to drink of the refreshing waters.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: