Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700892 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:46 AM »

Consider all the past as nothing, and say, like David: Now I begin to love my God.
Saint Francis de Sales

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

When we speak about wisdom, we are speaking of Christ. When we speak about virtue, we are speaking of Christ. When we speak about justice, we are speaking of Christ. When we speak about peace, we are speaking of Christ. When we speak about truth and life and redemption, we are speaking of Christ.

St. Ambrose of Milan

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »

I am going to hold on to that quote.  Cheesy

Much thanksgiving odhiambo! Thank you!

True wisdom, true peace, true justice, true virtue -- Our Lord Jesus Christ!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:56 AM »

"No one in the world can change Truth.
 What we can do and should do is to seek truth
 and to serve it when we have found it."
Saint Maximilian Kolbe (1894 - 1941)

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:16 AM »

Some really beautiful quotes lately odhiambo! Cheesy

'As God is not the only witness of our life, but as moreover the world, the angels, and men behold it, let us be good not only before God, but also before men.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 03, 2014, 01:36:26 AM »

Absolutely !

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: October 04, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

'No one ought to consider himself a true servant of God who is not tried by many temptations and trials.'

St. Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: October 04, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »

Or more fully, to a brother tempted by a grievous and obstinate temmptation, and near despair:

'Be not afflicted or dismayed my son. Believe me, I now consider thee a greater servant of God than before, and be assured that the more thou art tempted the dearer dost thou become to me. No one, my son, can repute himself to be a servant of God, until he has passed through temptation and tribulation. A temptation overcome, is like the ring by which God espouses a soul to Himself. Many flatter themselves upon their numerous good works, and rejoice never to have suffered tribulations and temptations. But, because they are frightened even before they begin to fight, God, knowing their weakness, does not try them with temptations; for hard combats are reserved for great virtue. It is a sign of His special favour when God leaves nothing unpunished in His servants in this world.'

St. Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »

'When God intends to grant a man any particular virtue, it is His way to let him be tempted to the opposite vice.'

St. Philip Neri

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30:34 AM »

Or more fully, to a brother tempted by a grievous and obstinate temmptation, and near despair:

'Be not afflicted or dismayed my son. Believe me, I now consider thee a greater servant of God than before, and be assured that the more thou art tempted the dearer dost thou become to me. No one, my son, can repute himself to be a servant of God, until he has passed through temptation and tribulation. A temptation overcome, is like the ring by which God espouses a soul to Himself. Many flatter themselves upon their numerous good works, and rejoice never to have suffered tribulations and temptations. But, because they are frightened even before they begin to fight, God, knowing their weakness, does not try them with temptations; for hard combats are reserved for great virtue. It is a sign of His special favour when God leaves nothing unpunished in His servants in this world.'

St. Francis of Assisi

This is reassuring!
Temptations aside, how does one get rid of unwanted thoughts? The more you try to banish them the more they hang around. Pray for them to melt away, they are there! Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:05 AM »

For me, repeated, quick, and short vocal prayer helps with that, esp. if it's provoked by the devils.

'Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, help us.' 'Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, protect us.' 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph, save souls.'

As long as the Holy Names hang in the air the devils are chased away.

They tend to swiftly return however, and so 'repeated'.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: October 08, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »

Yes it is reassuring! Temptation can be so discouraging! So these quotes are very helpful for overcome such and bearing it with Christ hopefully.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:09 AM »

For me, repeated, quick, and short vocal prayer helps with that, esp. if it's provoked by the devils.

'Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, help us.' 'Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, protect us.' 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph, save souls.'

As long as the Holy Names hang in the air the devils are chased away.

They tend to swiftly return however, and so 'repeated'.

A real torment. Whenever I am praying, out of nowhere bad thoughts disturb my concentration. It is so much that at one point I almost despaired of praying; then I realized this is a spiritual fight. Now I try not to panic but turn to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2014, 05:58:24 AM »

Yes I have the same difficulty odhiambo. Do not despair! With work and grace one can still pray. Bear it for the Lord's sake!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »

I will try to post some saints' quotes on this subject, besides those just posted. Keep in good spirits! Bear it for the Lord's sake!

And pray short vocal prayers!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: October 08, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »

'When the devil suggests discouraging thoughts, we must seek help in the remembrance of the blessings, without number, that we have received from God.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Just as I will not save myself by the good works of the angels, likewise I will not be condemned for the bad and wicked thoughts which the bad angels, the world, and the flesh present to me.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: