Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700881 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:03 AM »

'According to the degree to which the intellect is stripped of the passions, the Holy Spirit initiates the intellect into the mysteries of the age to be.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 12, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, at Christ's resurrection creation too, putting away its winter gloom, like a deadness puts out fresh shoots and as it were comes to life again. And yes, we see the earth wearing green, the plants flourishing, the animals skipping around, the sea tamed and everything being changed for the better.

But I must explain why I have said this. If inanimate and irrational creatures are made radiant and lovely by the resplendent resurrection, how much more ought we, who have been honoured with reason and the image of God, make ourselves bright by our life and give off sweet fragrance by the spirit. For one who strives after virtue is truly the sweet fragrance of Christ, and the Apostle bears witness to this when he says, For we are the sweet fragrance of Christ for God among those who are being saved and those who are perishing, for the latter a scent of death leading to death, for the former an scent of life leading to life [2 Cor. 2,15-16].'

St. Theodore the Studite (A.D. 759 - 826)

I wonder if, before before Christ rose from the dead, spring was perceived by us descendants of Abraham,as beautiful as we see it now, or if Christ rose from the dead in spring because it is such a beautiful time of the year?

Let nothing disturb you
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: April 12, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »

It makes me think of the hope and anticipation of the faithful few, the portion of the people who understood to a degree the prophecies predicting Our Lord and Saviour.  Anticipating a Saviour from their sins.. A new Spring a new life..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »

'My dearest Saviour, Thou art the King of Heaven, the King of kings, the Son of God; and how is it, then, that I see Thee in this cave, forsaken by all? I see no one assisting Thee but Joseph and Thy holy Mother.
I desire to unite myself also to them in keeping Thee company.'
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2015, 04:07:46 AM »

How one wishes to keep such holy company in such solitude!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: April 16, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »

'Unless a man acquires, through the grace of Christ, knowledge of the truth and fear of God, he is gravely wounded not only by the passions but also by the things that happen to him.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: April 16, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »

'If you say, "Show me your God," I will say to you, "Show me what kind of person you are, and I will show you my God." Show me then whether the eyes of your mind can see, and the ears of your heart hear.

It is like this. Those who can see with the eyes of their bodies are aware of what is happening in this life on earth. They get to know things that are different from each other. They distinguish light and darkness, black and white, ugliness and beauty, elegance and inelegance, proportion and lack of proportion, excess and defect. The same is true of the sounds we hear: high or low or pleasant. So it is with the ears of our heart and the eyes of our mind in their capacity to hear or see God.

God is seen by those who have the capacity to see him, provided that they keep the eyes of their mind open. All have eyes, but some have eyes that are shrouded in darkness, unable to see the light of the sun. Because the blind cannot see it, it does not follow that the sun does not shine. The blind must trace the cause back to themselves and their eyes. In the same way, you have eyes in your mind that are shrouded in darkness because of your sins and evil deeds.

A person's soul should be clean, like a mirror reflecting light. If there is rust on the mirror his face cannot be seen in it. In the same way, no one who has sin within him can see God.'

St. Theophilus of Antioch

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 18, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »

In The Letter to the Hebrews, Chapter 1 Verse 7 states:     
           Of the angels he says;     
           He makes his angels winds     
           and his ministers a fiery flame.   

tiny angel littlewings thrones angel blue angel yellow cherubim Seraphim littlewings thrones angel blue
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: April 18, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »

Inspiring to think of!  angel yellow cherubim Seraphim cherubim angel yellow

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 18, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »

Beautiful!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 18, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

"Lord, shed upon our darkened souls the brilliant light of your wisdom so that we may be enlightened, and serve you with renewed purity."
St. Ephraim

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: April 19, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »

A beautiful quote my friend! A prayer to keep ahold of!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »

'Yes, the priest stands at the altar, the priest stands there and makes a long supplication, not in order that fire from heaven may consume the things that lie to open view, but that grace, lighting on the Sacrifice, may thereby in flame the souls of all, and show them brighter than silver purified in the fire. Art thou ignorant that the soul of man could never bear this fire of the Sacrifice, but that all would be utterly consumed, were not the aid of the grace of God abundant? For if one would but consider how great a thing it is for a mortal, and one still clothed with flesh and blood, to be enabled to be nigh to that blessed and immortal nature, he would then see how great an honor the grace of the Spirit has vouchsafed to priests.'

St. John Chrysostom

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2015, 07:14:57 AM »

'Yes, the priest stands at the altar, the priest stands there and makes a long supplication, not in order that fire from heaven may consume the things that lie to open view, but that grace, lighting on the Sacrifice, may thereby in flame the souls of all, and show them brighter than silver purified in the fire. Art thou ignorant that the soul of man could never bear this fire of the Sacrifice, but that all would be utterly consumed, were not the aid of the grace of God abundant? For if one would but consider how great a thing it is for a mortal, and one still clothed with flesh and blood, to be enabled to be nigh to that blessed and immortal nature, he would then see how great an honor the grace of the Spirit has vouchsafed to priests.'

St. John Chrysostom

We should never lose sight that the priest represents our Lord Jesus Christ and deserves much respect and honor from us.  To me there is no person on earth more beautiful and noble that a validly ordained priest who is faithful to God and to his vocation.  God bless you!  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:49:45 AM by Therese » Logged

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: April 22, 2015, 03:16:35 AM »

There is nothing like the Holy Sacrifice of Our Lord.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 22, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

There is nothing like the Holy Sacrifice of Our Lord.

Nothing at all!

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: