Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705505 times)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 18, 2016, 03:07:36 AM »

Very well said !  Cheesy

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:17 AM »

Deo gratias! Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53:05 AM »

'Everything we say or do without prayer afterwards turns out to be unreliable or harmful, and so shows us up without our realizing it.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »

'In all your affairs lean solely on God's Providence, by means of which alone your plans can succeed. Meanwhile, on your part work on in quiet co-operation with Him, and then rest satisfied that if you have trusted entirely to Him you will always obtain such a measure of success as is most profitable for you, whether it seems so or not to your own individual judgment.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2016, 07:12:31 AM »

'The voice of a word sounds; the voice of example thunders.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »

'Because eternal beatitude surpasses the natural state, especially since it has been deprived of original grace, it is the little number that are saved.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »

THAT ! is a quote to ponder for a long time..........It is heart centered.........

Thanks Brother...

littlepigeons

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2016, 02:14:49 AM »

It's one I keep with me too! Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

'Only a soul which has been delivered from the passions can without error contemplate created beings. Because its virtue is perfect, and because its knowledge is spiritual and free from materiality, such a soul is called 'Jerusalem'. This state is attained through exclusion not only of the passions but also of sensible images.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »

'Only a soul which has been delivered from the passions can without error contemplate created beings. Because its virtue is perfect, and because its knowledge is spiritual and free from materiality, such a soul is called 'Jerusalem'. This state is attained through exclusion not only of the passions but also of sensible images.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Our Lady in the Mystical City of God teaches about how we should exclude the passions and sensible images.  Materiality is a hindrance in the spiritual life.  We should keep our eyes down and our thoughts on God, so that our hearts will be all for Him.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2016, 09:26:51 PM »

“I know one must be most pure to appear before the God of all holiness, but I know too that the Lord is infinitely just; and it is this justice, which terrifies so many souls, that is the basis of my joy and trust. To be just means not only to exercise severity in punishing the guilty, but also to recognize right intentions and reward virtue. I hope as much from the good God's justice as from His mercy.”

St. Therese of Lisieux, "Letter to Father Roulland (9 May 1897)", The Collected Letters of Saint Therese of Lisieux, (London: Sheed, 1949) 291.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:23:41 AM by Therese » Logged

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »

“Reveal to the faithful the wolves which are demolishing the Lord's vineyard.”
—Pope Clement XIII, Encyclical Christianae Reipublicae (1766)

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: February 24, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »

'It is absurd, and a detestable shame, that we should suffer those traditions to be changed which we have received from the fathers of old.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: February 29, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »

'It is said that those who eat the herb called Angelica always have a pure, sweet breath; and those who have chastity, which is the angelic virtue, within their hearts, speak modestly, courteously, and purely. As for unbecoming and foolish things, the Apostle does not wish us even to name them, assuring us that nothing is so ruinous to good morals as evil communications.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: March 02, 2016, 10:31:55 PM »

'Everything Christ did was done to keep us bound together and living at peace with one another. . . And so it was that Paul could have accused the Corinthians of many great crimes but he accused them of contentiousness before any other. He could have accused them of fornication, of pride, of taking their quarrels to the pagan courts, of banquets in the shrines of idols. He could have charged that the women did not veil their heads and that the men did. Over and above all this, he could have accused them of neglecting the poor, of the pride they took in their charismatic gifts, and in the matter of the resurrection of the body. But since, along with these, he could also find fault with them because of their dissensions and quarrels with one another, he passed over all the other crimes, and corrected their contentiousness first.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #783 on: March 05, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »

'There befall us, not merely the words of the apostle, "fightings without and fears within" (2 Cor. 7:5) but fightings within as well as fears, due especially to false priests and hypocrites who are adversaries of God and rush into destruction themselves and mislead the people by countless scandals and varied errors, saying to the people in the words of the prophet, "Peace, peace; when there is no peace" (Jer. 6:14); and the seed of the word, taken from the bosom of the Catholic and Apostolic Church and entrusted to us, which we seek to sow, they strive to oversow with cockle and suffocate or to convert into a baneful weed. And that which we plant they do not water that it may grow, but try to tear up that it may die, offering and teaching to the people new sects and errors of divers kinds; some "abstaining from food which God hath created to be received" (1 Tim. 4:3); some, feeding only on honey and milk, reject bread and other food; some actually declaring, and this greatly harms the people, that homicides and adulterers, even though they persevere in their crimes, can yet become priests of God. The people, in the words of the apostle, "will not endure sound doctrine, but after their own lusts will they heap to themselves teachers," and the rest. (2 Tim. 4:3)'

St. Boniface

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: