Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705477 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:29 AM »

'When you see a saw, a hammer, a plane, or an axe, remember how Jesus worked like a mere lad, in the shop at Nazareth. Then if you see ropes, thorns, nails, or pieces of wood, reflect on the Passion and Death of our Redeemer.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: May 04, 2016, 03:39:43 AM »

'Without faith it is impossible to please God.'

Hebrews 11:6

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #834 on: May 05, 2016, 01:50:34 AM »

'God has loved us from all eternity. Children of men, says the Lord, remember that I first loved you. You had not yet been born, the world itself did not exist, and even then I loved you. As long as I am God, I have loved you; I have loved you as long as I have loved Myself.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »

'The Lord has given me to know that, in order to apply to anything intelligibly and holily, I must first go and prostrate at His feet, and there my work will be blessed. I have then firmly resolved never to draw up any plan with out having first thought it over before Our Lord and submitted it to Him for approval.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: May 07, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »

'After having prohibited by his Sixth Commandment, all external acts of impurity, God forbids by the ninth, all impure thoughts and desires. We must not imagine that we fulfil the whole Law under this head by merely abstaining from the criminal action. No, that is not sufficient, for even the desire is a crime. God who fathoms the depths of the heart and of the will, is not satisfied with external purity, but wills that our hearts be also pure and permits us not even to desire that which he forbids us to do. The very thought of doing evil renders us guilty in his eyes when it is voluntary and deliberate, that is to say when we knowingly dwell upon it and take pleasure therein: "Evil thoughts," says the Scripture "separate from God." They, therefore, bring death to our soul if we are not careful to put them away, and to banish them at their very first approach. Thus it is that the Law of God reaches the very root of evil, and stifles it in its very origin.'

St. Jean Baptiste de la Salle

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: May 08, 2016, 03:17:51 AM »

"Watch and pray," says he, "that ye enter not into temptation!" To watch over one's self, is to guard against all that might give the slightest wound to this precious virtue. We must watch our eyes, that they never rest on any dangerous object; our ears, that they listen not to bad discourse; we must guard our mind, so as to keep away all thoughts and ideas contrary to purity, and our heart, so as to stifle all evil desires in their very birth. "As soon as a bad thought arises in your mind," says St. Bernard, "repulse it with firmness, and it will depart from you; but if you suffer it to remain a moment, its image will excite in your heart a pleasure fatal to your innocence: that pleasure will lead to consent, consent to action, action to habit, habit to necessity, and necessity to eternal death."'

St. Jean Baptiste de la Salle

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 08, 2016, 03:27:05 AM »

Ah, that quote is a good reminder that we need to be ever vigilant in our daily activities.  Little Angel

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: May 08, 2016, 03:28:18 AM »

Amen my friend! Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »

'In raising human nature to heaven by His ascension, Christ has given us the hope of arriving thither ourselves.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »

Too much hatred of our neighbor's faults begets more aversion than amendment, and, far from helping him, puts him to flight.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: May 12, 2016, 02:42:06 AM »

'You know, my dear daughters, that you ought to follow in the footsteps of Mary, our incomparable model. Now the heart of the divine Mother was a sanctuary of prayer, a perpetual altar of sacrifice on which the incense of prayer burnt unceasingly. She was continually adoring and thanking God. In like manner prayer should be your habitual occupation. Whatever may be your exterior employments your soul should be always absorbed in adoring, thanking, blessing and loving God.'

St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: May 13, 2016, 04:21:24 AM »

'The more I contemplate God, the more God looks on me. The more I pray to Him, the more He thinks of me too.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #844 on: May 14, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »

'. . . Jews, heretics or heathens, belong not to God's friendship but to this world's peace. But the peace of the spiritual and of Catholics coming down from above and leading upwards refuses to hold communion with the lovers of the world, resists all obstacles and flies from pernicious pleasures to true joys, as the Lord says: "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:21)."'

Pope St. Leo the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2016, 02:15:42 AM »

'Venerable brethren, there is only one piece of advice that I offer to you: watch over your seminaries and over candidates for the priesthood.

As you yourselves know, an air of independence which is fatal for souls is widely diffused in the world, and has found its way even within the sanctuary; it shows itself not only in relation to authority but also in regard to doctrine.

Because of it, some of our young clerics, animated by that spirit of unbridled criticism which holds sway at the present day, have come to lose all respect for the learning which comes from our great teachers, the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, the interpreters of revealed doctrine.

If ever you have in your seminary one of those new-style savants, get rid of him without delay; on no account impose hands upon him. You will always regret having ordained even one such person: never will you regret having excluded him.'

Pope St. Pius X

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:23 AM »

'Watch with all your strength that you do not speak one thing with your mouth and have something else in your heart.'

St. Isaiah the Solitary

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »

'He who wishes for anything but Christ, does not know what he wishes; he who asks for anything but Christ, does not know what he is asking; he who works, and not for Christ, does not know what he is doing.'

St. Philip Neri

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: