Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2017, 09:56:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 71 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 144540 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1122 on: March 10, 2017, 02:02:48 AM »

'Why despair of your eternal salvation? Do you not know how good God is?'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »

'Love, unchangeable tranquility and our adoption as children of God are different from each other only in name. As light, fire and flame are present in the selfsame operation, so are these three manifestations of the Spirit. When someone is completely permeated with the love of God, the brightness of his soul is reflected by his whole personality as if in a mirror. Therefore the one who loves God also loves his brother or sister. Indeed, the second love is the proof of the first.'

St. John Climacus

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:39 AM »

'Truth always shines with a brilliancy of its own, whilst falsehood is clouded in darkness, to dispel which it is enough to place it in the presence of truth.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1125 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:44 AM »

'He who labors as he prays lifts his heart to God with his hands.'

St. Benedict

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1126 on: March 14, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »

'To labor, to suffer, to be silent, to complain not, to bear no resentment - these are the maxims of the saints, the maxims of a high perfection.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: March 15, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »

'Be still and know that I AM.'

Psalm 45:10

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: March 16, 2017, 05:10:23 AM »

'. . . we should not embark on the ascetic life in the hope of seeing visions clothed with form or shape; for if we do, Satan will find it easy to lead our soul astray. Our one purpose must be to reach the point when we perceive the love of God fully and consciously in our heart - that is, "with all your heart, and with all your soul . . . and with all your mind" (Luke 10:27). For the man who is energized by the grace of God to this point has already left this world, though still present in it.'

St. Diadochos of Photiki

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: March 17, 2017, 05:02:12 AM »

'O God, do not leave me. I have done nothing good in your sight, but according to your goodness, let me now make a beginning of good.'

St. Arsenius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: March 20, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »

'Ever keep the fire of charity burning on the altar of your heart.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: March 21, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »

'To attain the knowledge of God is impossible for those who are still under the control of their passions. Therefore they cannot attain the salvation they hope for as they have not obtained any knowledge of God.

He who fails to attain this end is clearly subject to the charge of being ignorant of God, and ignorance of God is shown by a man's manner of life.'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »

'To him who hungers after Christ grace is food; to him who is thirsty, a reviving drink; to him who is cold, a garment; to him who is weary, rest; to him who prays, assurance; to him who mourns, consolation.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »

'We must have confidence in God, who is what He always has been, and we must not be disheartened because things turn out contrary to us.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:41 AM »

'He that keepeth his mouth, keepeth his soul: but he that hath no guard on his speech shall meet with evils.'

Proverbs 13:3

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1135 on: March 28, 2017, 01:36:51 AM »

'A Christian who is pure is upon earth like a bird that is kept fastened down by a string. Poor little bird! it only waits for the moment when the string is cut to fly away. Good Christians are like those birds that have large wings and small feet, and which never light upon the ground, because they could not rise again and would be caught. They make their nests, too, upon the points of rocks, on the roofs of houses, in high places. So the Christian ought to be always on the heights. As soon as we lower our thoughts towards the earth, we are taken captive.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: March 29, 2017, 12:06:47 AM »

'You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.'

The Blessed Virgin, to Bl. Alan de la Roche

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: March 30, 2017, 02:10:50 AM »

'Let us now return to our orchard, or flower-garden, and behold now how the trees begin to fill with sap for the bringing forth of the blossoms, and then of the fruit - the flowers and the plants, also, their fragrance. This illustration pleases me; for very often, when I was beginning - and our Lord grant that I have really begun to serve His Majesty - I mean, begun in relation to what I have to say of my life, - it was to me a great joy to consider my soul as a garden, and our Lord as walking in it. I used to beseech Him to increase the fragrance of the little flowers of virtues - which were beginning, as it seemed to bud - and preserve them, that they might be to His glory; for I desired nothing for myself. I prayed Him to cut those He liked, because I already knew that they would grow the better.

I say cut; for there are times in which the soul has no recollection of this garden - everything seems parched, and there is no water to be had for preserving it - and in which it seems as if the soul had never possessed any virtue at all. This is the season of heavy trials; for our Lord will have the poor gardener suppose all the trouble he took in maintaining and watering the garden to have been taken to no purpose. Then is the time really for weeding and rooting out every plant, however small it may be, that is worthless, in the knowledge that no efforts of ours are sufficient, if God withholds from us the waters of His grace; and in despising ourselves as being nothing, and even less than nothing. In this way we gain great humility - the flowers grow afresh.

O my Lord and my Good! I cannot utter these words without tears, and rejoicing in my soul; for Thou wilt be thus with us, and art with us, in the Sacrament. We may believe so most truly; for so it is, and the comparison I make is a great truth; and, if our sins stand not in the way, we may rejoice in Thee, because Thou rejoicest in us; for Thou hast told us that Thy delight is to be with the children of men. O my Lord, what does it mean? Whenever I hear these words, they always give me great consolation, and did so even when I was most wicked.'

St Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1138 on: March 31, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

'Human language cannot express the beauty of a soul which dies in a state of grace.'

St. Philip Neri

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 71 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: