Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 02:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 73 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 163269 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1139 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:45 AM »

'They are the flower of the Church's growth; the grace of the spirit finds in them its beauty and delicacy; they are our pride and bloom; in them praise and honor have their perfect and incorrupt work; they are God's image reflecting the Lord's sanctity; the more illustrious portion of Christ's flock. In them exults, in them beauteously flowers the glorious fecundity of our mother the Church, and the more virginity adds to its number the more that mother's joy increases.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: April 02, 2017, 02:11:27 AM »

'Behold, the hour cometh, and it is now come, that you shall be scattered every man to his own, and me you shall leave alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.'

John 16:32

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: April 04, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »

'Do you desire to study to your advantage? Let devotion accompany all your studies and study less to make yourself learned than to become a saint.'

St. Vincent Ferrer

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: April 05, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »

'Whence let no friar, wherever he be and whithersoever he go, in any manner pick up or receive or cause to be received money or coins, neither for the opportunity of clothing nor of books nor as the price of any work, indeed for no opportunity, except on account of the manifest necessity of the sick friars, because we ought not have or repute more utility in regard to money and coins than in stones. And the devil wants to make those blind, who grasp for it or repute it better than stones. Let us therefore beware, we who have left everything (cf. Mt 19:27), lest for such a limited thing we lose the Kingdom of Heaven.

And if in any place we would find coins, let us not care for them, like (we do) for the dust, which we tread upon with (our) feet, because (they are) "vanity of vanities and all vanity" (Eccl 1:2). And if perchance it has happened - and let it not - that any friar has collected or had money or coins, excepting only the aforesaid necessity of the infirm, let all of us friars hold him as a false brother and an apostate and a thief and a brigand and as one having a purse (cf. Jn 12:6), unless he has truly repented. And let the friars in no manner receive nor cause to be received, nor seek nor cause to be sought, money for alms nor coins on behalf of any house or place; and let them not go about with a person seeking money or coins on behalf of such places; on the other hand, the other services, which are not contrary to our life, the friars of the place can do with the blessing of God. Nevertheless the friars, in (times of) the manifest necessity of the lepers, can seek alms on their behalf. However let them beware much of money. Similarly let all the friars beware, so that they do not go around lands for any filthy lucre.'

St Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1143 on: April 06, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »

'The keeping of God's commandments generates dispassion; the soul's dispassion preserves spiritual knowledge.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: April 07, 2017, 02:24:07 AM »

'We make no progress because we dwell in that exterior learning which puffs up the mind; but these illiterate Egyptians have a true sense of their own weakness, blindness, and insufficiency; and by that very thing they are qualified to labor successfully in the pursuit of virtue.'

St. Arsenius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: April 08, 2017, 03:05:51 AM »

'You must flee from sensual things. Truly every time a man comes close to a struggle with sensuality, he is like a man standing at the edge of a deep lake, and the Enemy throws him in whenever he likes. But if the man lives far from sensual things, he is like one who stands at a distance from the lake, so that even if the Enemy entices him in order to throw him to the bottom, God sends him help at the very moment that the Enemy is drawing him away and doing him violence.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2017, 02:04:49 AM »

'Let us proceed joyfully and let us be sure that all our crosses will bear Christ with them, and that His help, which will never be wanting to us, will be more powerful than the combined efforts of all our enemies.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1147 on: April 11, 2017, 05:05:05 AM »

'I wish to do Thy will, O my God, all my life -- this shall be my security, never will I again attempt to do my own!'

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: April 13, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »

'Turn away thy face from a woman dressed up, and gaze not about upon another's beauty.'

Ecclesiasticus 9:8

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1149 on: April 13, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

'"Now Susannah was a very delicate woman." This does not mean that she had flashy adornments on herself or eyes painted with various colors — as Jezebel had. Rather, it means she had the adornment of faith, chastity, and sanctity.'

St. Hippolytus, Father of the Church

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »

'Until we have a passionate love for our Lord in the Most Blessed Sacrament we shall accomplish nothing.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:13 PM »

'The virtues generate good thoughts; the commandments lead us to the virtues; the practice of the virtues depends on our own will and resolution.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »

'Unless a man acquires, through the grace of Christ, knowledge of the truth and fear of God, he is gravely wounded not only by the passions but also by the things that happen to him.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1153 on: April 23, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »

'As a man lives, so shall he die.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: April 27, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »

'He is ungrateful beyond all expression, and in heart altogether wrong, who, in the face of God's benefits which cost Him so much does not offer himself, and does not see the obligation he is under to devote himself entirely to the honor and glory of our Lord and Saviour.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: April 28, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »

'He who has come to know the truth does not oppose the afflictions that befall him, for he knows that they lead him to the fear of God.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 73 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: