Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700875 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: July 30, 2017, 04:22:11 AM »

'You shall do nothing merely for the sake of doing it; but shall perform everything in the most perfect manner, imitating Christ as much as is in you power, and as if the affair of your salvation and divine glory depended upon the perfection of each individual action.'

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: August 02, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »

'Take advantage of little sufferings even more than of great ones. God considers not so much what we suffer as how we suffer. . . Turn everything to profit as the grocer does in his shop.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »

'Oh, sweet and true knowledge, which dost carry with thee the knife of hate, and dost stretch out the hand of holy desire, to draw forth and kill with this hate the worm of self-love -- a worm that spoils and gnaws the root of our tree so that it cannot bear any fruit of life, but dries up, and its verdure lasts not! For if a man loves himself, perverse pride, head and source of every ill, lives in him, whatever his rank may be, prelate or subject. If he is lover of himself alone -- that is, if he loves himself for his own sake and not for God -- he cannot do other than ill, and all virtue is dead in him.'

St. Catherine of Siena, 'Letter to Pope Gregory XI'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1203 on: August 06, 2017, 08:15:58 PM »

'O Ye virgins, I have but a word to say to you. If you look to married life in this life, guard your first love jealously for your husband. It seems to me a miserable fraud to give a husband a worn-out heart, whose love has been frittered away and despoiled of its first bloom instead of a true, whole-hearted love. But if you are happily called to be the chaste and holy bride of spiritual nuptials, and purpose to live a life of virginity, then in Christ's Name I bid you keep all your purest, most sensitive love for your Heavenly Bridegroom, Who, being Very Purity Himself, has a special love for purity; Him to Whom the first-fruits of all good things are due, above all those of love.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1204 on: August 07, 2017, 01:14:36 AM »

'If you are faithful to do the Will of God in time, yours shall be accomplished throughout eternity.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: August 11, 2017, 01:40:11 AM »

'Sufferings are the pearls of Jesus crucified.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:02 AM »

'I fear and tremble, all the while that I long to fulfill your expectations, lest I should prove to be an unworthy panegyrist. For there is in me neither sanctity nor eloquence, worthily to praise the Blessed and glorious Virgin. . . Although none can be found who is worthy to praise her, yet let not even the sinner desist from glorifying her with all his might.'

St. Jerome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »

'The nature of water is soft, and the nature of stone is hard; but if a bottle is hung above the stone, allowing the water to fall down drop by drop, it wears away the stone. So it is with the Word of God: it is soft and our heart is hard, but the man who hears the Word of God often opens his heart to the fear of God.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1208 on: August 20, 2017, 03:03:03 AM »

'In all your needs, trustfully have recourse to the divine Heart, and I am confident that our Lord will provide for your wants; but above all be very grateful for the many benefits He has bestowed on you.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:44 PM »

'And one of those thieves that were hanged, blasphemed him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself, and us. But the other answering, rebuked him, saying, Neither dost thou fear God, where thou art in the same damnation? And we in deed justly, for we receive worthy of our doings: but this man hath done no evil.  And he said to JESUS, Lord, remember me when thou shalt come into thy kingdom. And JESUS said to him, Amen I say to thee: this day thou shalt be with me in paradise. And it was almost the first hour: and there was made darkness upon the whole earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened: and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. And JESUS crying with a loud voice, said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. And saying this, he gave up the ghost.'

Luke 23:39-46

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1210 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:19 AM »

'We are convinced, that this sin [willful ignorance] alone causes the loss of more souls than all the other sins together, because he who is ignorant does not realize the harm he does by his sin, nor the great good he thus forfeits.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: August 24, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »

'Poverty, so much abhorred by the world, is a precious pearl, and in the sight of God contains all wealth.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »

'He that saith he abideth in him, ought himself also to walk, even as he walked.'

1 John 2:6

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1213 on: September 01, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »

'Correction should be given calmly and with discernment, at seasonable times, according to the dictates of reason, and not at the impulse of anger.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1214 on: September 04, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »

'The human ideal of continence, I mean that which is set forth by Greek philosophers, teaches that one should fight desire and not be subservient to it so as to bring it to practical effect.

But our ideal is not to experience desire at all.'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: September 05, 2017, 06:11:08 AM »

'Failure to do the good that is within your power is hard to forgive. But mercy and prayer reclaim the negligent.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: