Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 09:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 184190 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »

'So then, I am speaking to you who live in the habit of mortal sin, in hatred, in the mire of the vice of impurity, and who are getting closer to hell each day. Stop, and turn around; it is Jesus who calls you and who, with His wounds, as with so many eloquent voices, cries to you, "My son, if you are damned, you have only yourself to blame: 'Thy damnation comes from thee.' Lift up your eyes and see all the graces with which I have enriched you to insure your eternal salvation."'

St. Leonard of Port Maurice

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »

'Like the sun which shines on all alike, vainglory beams on every occupation. What I mean is this. I fast, and turn vainglorious. I stop fasting so that I will draw no attention to myself, and I become vainglorious over my prudence. I dress well or badly, and am vainglorious in either case. I talk or I hold my peace, and each time I am defeated. No matter how I shed this prickly thing, a spike remains to stand up against me.'

St. John Climacus

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
samiiali1

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 25, 2017, 02:10:11 AM »

This is the perfect place.  Thanks for the great info

*Link Removed*
 *Link Removed*
 *Link Removed*
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »

'Let us charge into the good fight with joy and love without being afraid of our enemies. Though unseen themselves, they can look at the face of our soul, and if they see it altered by fear, they take up arms against us all the more fiercely. For the cunning creatures have observed that we are scared. So let us take up arms against them courageously. No one will fight with a resolute fighter.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2017, 03:32:50 AM »

'Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists.'

Pope St. Pius X, 'Our Apostolic Mandate'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: October 30, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »

'The Lord has said: "But I say unto you, you shall not lust." How then can he live according to God's will who surrenders himself to every desire?'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1247 on: November 01, 2017, 03:20:32 AM »

'Let us think, if we only got to heaven, what a sweet and easy thing it will be there to be always saying with the angels and the saints, Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: November 02, 2017, 02:23:23 AM »

'Prayer attunes us for converse with God and, through long practice, leads us to friendship with Him; with Him Whose love accepts even worthless men and is not ashamed to enter into friendship with them, so long as the love that lives in them gives them daring.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1249 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »

'If he be blind who refuses to believe in the truths of the Catholic faith, how much blinder is he who believes, and yet lives as if he did not believe!'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1250 on: November 07, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »

'Fancy a sculptor who sends for a piece of wood which he wishes to form into a fine statue. The wood-choppers carry to his shop a rough and shapeless log. The sculptor begins to smooth it down, using first the hatchet, then the saw, afterwards the plane, and finally the chisel. What does the wood do? Does it make any resistance? No, it allows itself to be worked upon until it becomes a beautiful statue.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: November 08, 2017, 01:23:46 AM »

'The choice of a state of life decides whether our conduct shall be good or bad.'

St. Gregory Nazianzus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: November 10, 2017, 03:42:43 AM »

'In all your doubts and anxieties, think of Mary, call upon her name.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: November 11, 2017, 02:57:22 AM »

'Keep yourself in the presence of our Lord, not only during prayer, but also at other times, as a disciple before his Master, anxious to do His Will by giving up his own.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1254 on: November 12, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »

'The name of Jesus, pronounced with reverence and affection, has a kind of power to soften the heart.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: November 14, 2017, 10:25:50 PM »

'And likewise when I speak of being, I say: all things which have being, have it from the essence of God by his participation: but pure love cannot stop to contemplate this general participation coming from God, nor to consider whether in itself, considered as a creature, it receives it in the same way as do the other creatures which more or less participate with God. Pure love cannot endure such comparison; on the contrary, it exclaims with a great impetus of love; my being is God, not by participation only but by a true transformation and annihilation of my proper being.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1256 on: November 16, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »

'A sick man should make God a present of his will; and if it turns out that he has to suffer for a long time, he must submit to the Divine Will.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1257 on: November 18, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

'You ask to be taught how you ought to pray. The Lord himself taught us this through the invocation "Our Father", and that we should not ask for anything temporary, but for his kingdom and eternal justice. Moreover it has been ordained by the Fathers that first should come thanksgiving to God; next confession of our sins to him; and so a request for their forgiveness, and intercession for the other things that bring salvation.

So, when you are about to pray, give thanks to the Lord and Master that he brought you out of nothing into existence; that he redeemed you from every error, calling you and counting you worthy to become a partaker in the knowledge of himself, free from pagan, free from heretical error. Next that he prepared you for the monastic life, which equals that of the Angels, after the enjoyment of life in the world. The thought of all this is enough to soften the soul to compunction and the outpouring of tears. From all this comes enlightenment of heart, sweetness of spirit, desire for God. When this is present in the heart, there comes the rejection of every evil. When you have thus given thanks to God, confess to him like this, "You know, Master, how many sins I have committed against you, and how many I commit each hour", as you reckon up this sin and this offence and the ones committed in knowledge and in ignorance. But do not recall in any detail the ones that by being clearly remembered harm the soul. [Cf. The Ladder 28,58] And from this the grace of humility will dawn for you, with a broken heart [Cf. Psalm 50,18] and fear of God's recompense. After this, ask, groan, implore your Lord for forgiveness of these sins and strengthening for the future to please him, saying, "My Lord, Lord, may I no longer anger you, may I no longer love anything but you, alone truly to be loved. And should I anger you again, falling down I implore your compassion, that I may be given strength from now on to please you." And if anything else comes to your mind that is good to be accomplished, ask for it fervently. And after this call upon the holy Mother of God to have mercy on you, the holy Angels, and the Angel you have as the guardian of your life, that he may watch over you and protect you, the Forerunner and the holy Apostles, all the Saints and those whom you usually call on especially, and the one whose memory is kept that day. These then are the things, it seems to me, which hold the power of prayer, even if each person doubtless prays with other words and not the same as these, because people who pray do not always say the same things themselves, but the power, as I reckon, is always the same. So may you be kept safe as you pray for what is necessary, and become better each day, and through a strict way of life present your entire self well-pleasing to the Lord.'

St. Theodore the Studite, 'Letter to the Nun Anna'

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: