Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700907 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »

'. . . God deigned that we have freedom to do good and evil, we are obligated by debt of justice to do good, and we cannot do it without divine grace. Whoever thinks that he can by himself accomplish something besides fault and defect is really lacking any sort of intellect.'

St. Catherine of Bologna

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »

'There are three things which produce love of material wealth: self-indulgence, self-esteem and lack of faith. Lack of faith is more dangerous than the other two.

St. Maximos the Confessor

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: January 15, 2018, 02:05:01 AM »

'God judges our intention, but in that which is within our power He, in man-befriending wise, also requires us to act. Great is he who leaves undone nothing that is within his power; but greater is he who humbly attempts what is beyond his power.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: January 16, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »

'The slothful man saith: There is a lion without, I shall be slain in the midst of the streets.'

Proverbs 22:13

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »

'In every holy work arm yourself with confidence in God; let no obstacles frighten you. God will enable you to do wonders. Be, then, generous and courageous. Put your shoulder to the wheel with humility and purity of intention, having in view only the glory of God. Thank Him for having chosen you as an instrument of His glory, and, humbling yourself in His presence, cry out, "I am as nothing before Thee." (Ps. xxxviii. 6.)'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: January 21, 2018, 04:36:03 AM »

'The intellect joined to God for long periods through prayer and love becomes wise, good, powerful, compassionate, merciful and long-suffering; in short, it includes within itself almost all the divine qualities. But when the intellect withdraws from God and attaches itself to material things, either it becomes self-indulgent like some domestic animal, or like a wild beast it fights with men for the sake of these things.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: January 23, 2018, 03:39:41 AM »

'When you are alone in your room, take your crucifix, kiss its five wounds reverently, tell it to preach you a little sermon, and then listen to the words of eternal life that it speaks to your heart; listen to the pleading of the thorns, the nails, the precious Blood. Oh, what an eloquent sermon!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1287 on: January 26, 2018, 06:38:38 AM »

'Whoever would follow Jesus Christ, must walk in His footsteps, if he would not go astray.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2018, 01:56:00 AM »

'Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »

'Take this to heart: Owe no man anything. So shalt thou secure a peaceful sleep, an easy conscience, a life without inquietude, and a death without alarm.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: January 29, 2018, 07:08:14 AM »

'Blessed the one who has become long-suffering and compassionate and not become the slave of the barbarian, I mean anger and evil wrath, for such a one will be exalted by the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: January 31, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »

'When our pious undertakings meet with little success, let us not be troubled; when God wills anything to be done for His glory He will not fail to urge on the work until it is accomplished.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1292 on: February 02, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »

'It is first of all necessary to purify carefully the hidden recesses of our heart. For that which we desire to gain by bodily purity we must possess in the depths of our conscience, where the Lord resides as judge and superintendent of the games He carefully observes how we run and fight. Thus those things which we are loathe to admit in the open will not even take shape in our interior and we will not even be soiled by any secret connivance. For although it might escape the notice of men, it cannot lie hidden from the knowledge of Almighty God and the holy angels, from whom no secret is hidden.'

St. John Cassian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:32 AM »

'If you wish to regain the good graces of Our Lord Jesus Christ, you must no longer commit any voluntary fault, otherwise, you will seek for them in vain.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: February 04, 2018, 01:24:03 AM »

'God assesses our action according to our intention; for it is said that the Lord will "reward you according to your heart" (Ps. 20:4).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: February 05, 2018, 06:19:13 AM »

'Lord! what do I desire or what can I desire but Thee?'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: