Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700972 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1312 on: February 28, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »

'Blessed the one who has cleansed himself of every stain of sins, so that with boldness he may receive into his own house the King of glory, our Lord Jesus Christ.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: March 01, 2018, 04:55:23 AM »

'When we go into the garden, it is not to gather the leaves, but the fruits; so in the sacred garden of prayer we ought not to amuse ourselves with the leaves of sentiment and sensible consolation, but rather reap the fruits of the virtues of Jesus.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1314 on: March 02, 2018, 04:07:59 AM »

'For we have learnt not to "have thought for the flesh to fulfil its desires." We are to "walk honourably as in the way", that is in Christ and in the enlightened conduct of the Lord's way, "not in revelling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and lasciviousness, not in strife and envy."'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1315 on: March 03, 2018, 05:39:47 AM »

'Humility and self-contempt are safe barriers against illusions.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1316 on: March 04, 2018, 04:41:32 AM »

'Prayer is an activity becoming to the dignity of the mind, or rather, is its real use.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1317 on: March 05, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »

'A good Christian watches continually, sword in hand. The devil can do nothing against him, for he resists him like a warrior in full armour; he does not fear him, because he has rejected from his heart all that is impure. Bad Christians are idle and lazy, and stand hanging their heads; and you see how they give way at the first assault: the devil does what he pleases with them; he presents pleasures to them, he makes them taste pleasure, and then, to drown the cries of their conscience, he whispers to them in a gentle voice, "You will sin no more." And when the occasion presents itself, they fall again, and more easily than the first time. If they go to confession he makes them ashamed, they speak only in half-words, they lower their voice, they explain away their sins, and, what is more miserable, they perhaps conceal some. The good Christian, on the contrary, groans and weeps over his sins, and reaches the tribunal of Penance already half justified.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: March 06, 2018, 04:33:05 AM »

'We must sometimes bear with little defects in others, as we have against our own will to bear with natural defects in ourselves.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1319 on: March 07, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »

'We make no progress because we dwell in that exterior learning which puffs up the mind; but these illiterate Egyptians have a true sense of their own weakness, blindness, and insufficiency; and by that very thing they are qualified to labor successfully in the pursuit of virtue.'

St. Arsenius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1320 on: March 08, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »

'We know that we are translated from death to life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not, abideth in death.'

1 John 3:14

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: March 09, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »

'When you sit down to eat, pray. When you eat bread, do so thanking Him for being so generous to you. If you drink wine, be mindful of Him who has given it to you for your pleasure and as a relief in sickness. When you dress, thank Him for His kindness in providing you with clothes. When you look at the sky and the beauty of the stars, throw yourself at God's feet and adore Him who in His wisdom has arranged things in this way. Similarly, when the sun goes down and when it rises, when you are asleep or awake, give thanks to God, who created and arranged all things for your benefit, to have you know, love and praise their Creator.'

St. Basil the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1322 on: March 10, 2018, 07:14:55 AM »

'Our Lord gave me to understand that one of the things which would be of the utmost utility to the missionary is the virtue of self-denial in the matter of food and drink. The Italians have a saying which goes: "Not much credit is given to saints who eat."'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1323 on: March 11, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »

'The signs that accompany those who wish to submit to the Logos of God and who bring forth good fruit are: sighing, weeping, sorrow, stillness, shaking of the head, prayer, silence, persistence, bitter grief, tribulation of heart arising from religious devotion. In addition, their actions manifest vigilance, fasting, self-control, gentleness, forbearance, unceasing prayer, study of the divine Scriptures, faith, humility, brotherly affection, submission, rigorous toil, hardship, love, kindliness, courtesy and-the sum of all-light, which is the Lord. The signs that accompany those who are not producing the fruit of life are listlessness, day-dreaming, curiosity, lack of attention, grumbling, instability; and in their actions they manifest gluttony, anger, wrath, back-biting, conceit, untimely talk, unbelief, disorderliness, forgetfulness, unrest, sordid greed, avarice, envy, fractiousness, contempt, garrulity, senseless laughter, willfulness and - the sum of all - darkness, which is Satan.'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: March 12, 2018, 06:41:19 AM »

'It is evident that the revolt of man's will from that of God constitutes sin, and while that revolt continues, man's guilt remains. Those, therefore, that are in hell, having passed from this life with perverse wills, their guilt is not remitted, nor can it be, since they are no longer capable of change. When this life is ended, the soul remains forever confirmed either in good or evil according as she has here determined. As it is written: Where I shall find thee, that is, at the hour of death, with the will either fixed on sin or repenting of it, there I will judge thee.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1325 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »

'The damned do not hate God except because He punishes and forbids what is agreeable to their evil will [the evil that they still desire to do]: and consequently they will think of Him only as punishing and forbidding.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: March 16, 2018, 01:46:30 AM »

'We truly love God and keep His commandments if we restrain ourselves from our pleasures. For he who still abandons himself to unlawful desires certainly does not love God, since he contradicts Him in his own intentions. . . Therefore, he loves God truly, whose mind is not conquered by consent to evil delight. For the more one takes pleasure in lower things, the more he is separated from heavenly love.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1327 on: March 17, 2018, 03:01:17 AM »

'He is truly humble of heart who knows 'himself thoroughly and who knows God. May the Lord grant this grace to all men!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: