Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700882 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1328 on: March 18, 2018, 07:30:45 AM »

God be in My Head
from a Medieval Primer

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and at my departing.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1329 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:30 AM »

'Just as we drive out one nail by another, let us oppose effort to effort, habit to habit.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: March 25, 2018, 01:11:55 AM »

'Humility and ascetic hardship free a man from all sin, for the one cuts out the passions of the soul, the other those of the body. This is what the blessed David indicates when he prays to God, saying, "Look on my humility and my toil, and forgive all my sins" (Ps. 25:18).'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2018, 06:43:20 AM »

'Know that if you wish to possess Jesus Christ and to dwell in His Sacred Heart, you must have no other desire and be content with Him alone.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: March 27, 2018, 05:07:05 AM »

'Blessed the one who has made his fellow servants glad with spiritual gladness from the fruit of the virtues, which he planted by toiling to give back the fruit of life in the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1333 on: March 28, 2018, 05:16:45 AM »

'I cannot but admire the goodness and liberality of the Sacred Heart towards you. Our Lord seems to take pleasure in unfolding all Its treasures for your benefit.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1334 on: April 01, 2018, 01:03:07 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, because winter has passed and spring has arrived, we see creation flourishing again; the plants are flowering, the earth is growing green, the birds are singing and everything else is being renewed; and we take pleasure in all this and we glorify God the master craftsman who transforms and changes creation year by year, and it is reasonable to do so. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made [Rom. 1:20]. It is our duty not just to stay where we are, but to advance further and to examine carefully for ourselves the logic of creation. How? Because this renewal has winter as its cause. It would not have reached its prime had it not first undergone snows and rains and winds. And so it is with the soul; unless it is first snowed on by afflictions, troubles and difficulties, it will not flower, it will not fruit; but by enduring, it bears fruit and partakes in a blessing from God, as it is written: Ground that drinks up the rain falling on it repeatedly, and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is cultivated, partakes in a blessing from God [Heb. 6:7]. Therefore, brethren, let us also endure every affliction, every trouble, every trial which assails us both visibly and invisibly, the fast we are drawing out as we hunger and thirst and are otherwise made wretched, so that we may bear fruit and partake of God's blessing; and not only that, but that we may nourish and welcome Jesus as our guest. For just as we enjoy the sight of creation, so he too enjoys the hour of our souls.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1335 on: April 04, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

'O Jesus you who were forsaken have become the refuge of forsaken souls. Your love teaches me that I must gain the strength I need to endure being abandoned by seeing how you were abandoned. I am persuaded that the most terrible abandonment I could experience would be to have no part in yours. By your death, you gave me life; you delivered me from the suffering I deserved by suffering in my place. Because of what you endured on the cross, our Heavenly Father will not desert me. He is never closer to me through His mercy than when I am most united with you in your abandonment.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1336 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »

'A depraved mind thinks evil thoughts and regards as defects the achievements of a neighbor.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1337 on: April 10, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »

'Endeavor to have always in your hand a pious book, that with this shield you may defend yourself against bad thoughts.'

St. Jerome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1338 on: April 16, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »

'It is no time to speak to creatures when we are before the Eucharistic throne where dwells the Lord of lords, the Master of the world.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1339 on: April 18, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »

'Not to know how to deny our soul its own wishes, is to foment a very hot-bed of vices.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:15 AM »

'Do not say that you are the temple of the Lord, writes Jeremiah (cf. Jer. 7:4); nor should you say that faith alone in our Lord Jesus Christ can save you, for this is impossible unless you also acquire love for Him through your works. As for faith by itself, "the devils also believe, and tremble" (Jas. 2:19).'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: April 21, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »

'If we no longer fulfill the desires of the flesh, then with the Lord's help the evils within us will easily be eliminated.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:58 AM »

'The Holy Ghost does not stop at merely forbidding us to take and to covet the wealth of our neighbour -- He does not wish us even to consider it or dwell upon it, lest we should want to lay our hands upon it.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: April 27, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »

'Do not cling or cleave to earthly things; keep your heart aloof from them as much as you can. Let there be no human respect where the glory of God is concerned.'

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: