Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:01:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705445 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1376 on: July 23, 2018, 02:33:24 AM »

'A man ought to at all times be aware of the judgments of God.'

St. Agathon

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: July 24, 2018, 01:04:19 AM »

'Be careful that you do not lose anything of the Body of the Lord. If you let fall anything, you must think of it as though you cut off one of the members of your own body. Tell me, I beg you, if someone gave you kernels of gold, would you not guard them with the greatest care and diligence, intent on not losing anything? Should you not exercise even greater care and vigilance, so that not even a crumb of the Lord's Body could fall to the ground, for It is far more precious than gold or jewels?'

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1378 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:46 AM »

'I do not desire to die soon, because in Heaven there is no suffering. I desire to live a long time because I yearn to suffer much for the love of my Spouse.'

St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1379 on: July 27, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »

'St. Augustine and St. Thomas define mortal sin to be a turning away from God: that is, the turning of one's back upon God, leaving the Creator for the sake of the creature. What punishment would that subject deserve who, while his king was giving him a command, contemptuously turned his back upon him to go and transgress his orders? This is what the sinner does; and this is punished in hell with the pain of loss, that is, the loss of God, a punishment richly deserved by him who in this life turns his back upon his sovereign good.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: July 30, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

'God has loved us from all eternity. Children of men, says the Lord, remember that I first loved you. You had not yet been born, the world itself did not exist, and even then I loved you. As long as I am God, I have loved you; I have loved you as long as I have loved Myself.'

Such a very inspiring quotation!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1381 on: July 31, 2018, 05:09:24 AM »

'Wouldst thou comprehend the height of God? First comprehend the lowliness of God. Condescend to be humble for thine own sake, seeing that God condescended to be humble for thy sake too, for it was not for his own.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1382 on: August 02, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »

'. . . I remember well how many worthy religious there were of the Observance who are no more to be seen here. All have vanished.'

St. Bernardine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1383 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »

'Jesus expires on the cross! He is dead that we may have life. All creation mourns: the sun darkens, the earth trembles, the rocks burst, and the veil of the temple is rent in twain; my heart alone remains harder than a rock!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1384 on: August 09, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »

'We should express ourselves in few words; the truth is all its simplicity suffices. We should guard against enlarging on the consequences; truth in itself always carries conviction; too many ornaments but weaken and over-weight it in its struggle with error.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1385 on: August 10, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »

'Mary being in heaven nearer to God and more united to Him, knows our miseries better, compassionates them more, and can more efficaciously assist us.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1386 on: August 12, 2018, 02:01:35 AM »

'Already the walls of the prison are crumbling to dust, and the prisoner is about to enjoy the liberty of the children of God.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1387 on: August 15, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »

An Offering of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary
by St. John Eudes

O Jesus, only Son of God, only Son of Mary,
I offer Thee the most loving Heart of Thy divine Mother
which is more precious and pleasing to Thee than all hearts.
O Mary, Mother of Jesus,
I offer Thee the most adorable Heart of Thy well-beloved Son,
who is the life and love and joy of Thy Heart.
Blessed be the Most Loving Heart
and Sweet Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ
and the most glorious
Virgin Mary, His Mother,
in eternity and forever.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1388 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:07 AM »

'Stillness, prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to heaven.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1389 on: August 21, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »

'The human ideal of continence, I mean that which is set forth by Greek philosophers, teaches that one should fight desire and not be subservient to it so as to bring it to practical effect.

But our ideal is not to experience desire at all.'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1390 on: August 26, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »

'We must not trust in ourselves, but take the advice of our spiritual father, and recommend ourselves to everybody's prayers.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1391 on: August 31, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »

'Although in the world theater is considered a refined form of amusement, the fact is that it is a shame and an embarrassment to Christianity. In fact, are not those who abandon themselves to this kind of work and make it their profession considered publicly infamous? Can you love a profession that covers with embarrassment those who practice it? Is that art not something infamous and shameful in which the skill of the actors consists in exciting in themselves and in others various shameful passions for which a wellborn person can feel nothing but repulsion?

If there is singing going on, the only airs one hears are those that strengthen these same passions. Is there anything conformable to refinement or to decorum in the costuming, the nudity, and the license taken by actors and actresses? Is there anything in their gestures, their words, and their postures that is not unbecoming for a Christian not only to do but even to see? It is, then, entirely against propriety to take pleasure in this form of amusement.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: