Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 188 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 697881 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: August 02, 2019, 01:54:00 AM »

'Go to one who hath both knowledge and conscience, one of those who know excellently how to discern that which ought to be done. . . Choose one who is good, not anyone, whatever he may be, no! For sometimes thou wilt go to one who hath a carnal mind, and is not instructed, and who will say to thee; it is permitted thee for the sake of pleasure to thy husband to beautify thyself and to deck thself out with ornaments. Out upon him! for he is a beast; do as I say to thee: go to a man of conscience and learning, and who is good.'

St. Bernardine of Siena

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1553 on: August 04, 2019, 03:10:04 AM »

'He who prays with understanding patiently accepts circumstances, whereas he who resents them has not yet attained pure prayer.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: August 04, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »

'This is the sum of the mystery: to be corpses to the world but alive to God.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1555 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »

'How can you, by love, make your own the sufferings of our sweet Jesus? God will teach you how when it pleases Him, for He alone can do so. The soul inflamed with the love of God, without distraction, in pure and simple faith, suddenly finds herself, when God pleases, penetrated with the sufferings of Jesus; in a glance of faith she sees them all, without understanding; for the Passion of Our Saviour is a labor of love, and the soul thus lost in God, Who is all charity, all love, makes of herself a fount of love and sorrow.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1556 on: August 06, 2019, 03:32:32 AM »

'Initially grace arouses the conscience in a divine manner. That is how even sinners have come to repent and so to conform to God's will.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1557 on: August 11, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »

'If Nabuzardan, the head-cook, had not come, the temple of the Lord would not have been burned: (2 Kings 24:Cool that is to say: if slackness and greed did not come into the soul, the spirit would not be overcome in combat with the enemy.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1558 on: August 12, 2019, 04:39:11 AM »

'If the Christian Religion forbade war altogether, those who sought salutary advice in the Gospel would rather have been counseled to cast aside their arms, and to give up soldiering altogether. On the contrary, they were told: 'Do not practice extortion, do not falsely accuse anyone, and be satisfied with your wages.' [Lk. 3:14] If he commanded them to be content with their pay, he did not forbid soldiering.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1559 on: August 13, 2019, 01:49:15 AM »

'It is through our fulfilling of the commandments that the Lord makes us dispassionate; and it is through His divine teachings that He gives us the light of spiritual knowledge. All such teachings are concerned either with God, or with things visible and invisible, or else with the providence and judgment relating to them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1560 on: August 15, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »

'. . . and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?'

Micah 6:8

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: August 18, 2019, 04:56:18 AM »

'He who wants to cross the spiritual sea is long-suffering, humble, vigilant and self-controlled. If he impetuously embarks on it without these four virtues, he agitates his heart, but cannot cross.

Stillness helps us by making evil inoperative. If it also takes to itself these four virtues in prayer, it is the most direct support in attaining dispassion.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1562 on: August 19, 2019, 12:49:32 AM »

'I despair. I despair. . . I despair of myself, but I trust in God, hence, during this life which we are exposed to so many dangers of losing God, it is necessary for us to live always in great distrust in ourselves, and full of confidence in God.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: August 20, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »

'Blessed the one who does not set his hope on man, but on the Lord, who is coming again in great glory to judge the universe with justice, for he will be like a tree planted by waters and will not fail to bear fruit.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1564 on: August 21, 2019, 03:39:24 AM »

'The intelligence by nature submits to the Logos and disciplines and subjugates the body.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1565 on: August 23, 2019, 03:43:31 AM »

'Enlighten me, O Lord! and make known to me what I must do to be saved, for with Thy help I will do all that Thou requirest of me.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1566 on: August 24, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »

'To encourage ourselves to endure patiently the labors and afflictions of this life, it is well to reflect that they are much less than the pains of Purgatory.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1567 on: August 25, 2019, 03:59:00 AM »

'He who serves God must do the best he can not to receive the reward of his labours in this world.'

St. Philip Neri

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 188 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: