Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 03, 2020, 07:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 108 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 411280 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1666 on: January 24, 2020, 02:27:00 AM »

'The man ensnared by pride will need God's help, since man is of no use to him.'

St. John Climacus

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: January 24, 2020, 06:26:06 AM »

'There is no need to prove the existence of Hell. Our Lord Himself speaks of it when He relates the history of the wicked rich man who cried out, "Lazarus! Lazarus!" We know very well that there is a Hell, but we live as if there were not; we sell our souls for a few pieces of money. We put off our conversion till the hour of death; but who can assure us that we shall have time or strength at that formidable moment, which has been feared by all the saints -- when Hell will gather itself up for a last assault upon us, seeing that it is the decisive moment? There are many people who lost the faith, and never see Hell till they enter it. The Sacraments are administered to them; but ask them if they have committed such a sin, and they will answer you, "Oh! settle that as you please."'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1668 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:20 AM »

'Reaping unwillingly the wickedness we deliberately sow, we should marvel at God's justice.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »

'To labor, to suffer, to be silent, to complain not, to bear no resentment - these are the maxims of the saints, the maxims of a high perfection.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1670 on: January 27, 2020, 03:15:51 AM »

'Patience is necessary for the servant of God, and we must not be distressed at trouble, but wait for consolation.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1671 on: January 28, 2020, 02:15:00 AM »

'The saints owed to their confidence in God that unalterable tranquility of soul, which procured their perpetual joy and peace, even in the midst of adversities.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: January 29, 2020, 02:33:27 AM »

'When the sky is free from clouds we can see more clearly the brightness of the sun. In like manner, when the soul is free from sin and the gloom of passion, it participates in the divine light.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: January 30, 2020, 03:30:56 AM »

'A sinner cannot escape retribution except through repentance appropriate to his offence.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: January 31, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »

'Prayer is to our soul what rain is to the soil. Fertilize the soil ever so richly, it will remain barren unless fed by frequent rains.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1675 on: February 01, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »

'God pardons sin; but He will not pardon the will to sin.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1676 on: February 03, 2020, 02:53:03 AM »

'Christ is the savior of both soul and body, and the person who follows in His footsteps is freed from evil.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: February 04, 2020, 04:41:18 AM »

'Do not complain then of your poverty, my daughter, - we only complain of that which is unwelcome, and if poverty is unwelcome to you, you are no longer poor in spirit. Do not fret under such assistance as is needful; therein lies one great grace of poverty. It were overambitious to aim at being poor without suffering any inconvenience, in other words, to have the credit of poverty and the convenience of riches. Do not be ashamed of being poor, or of asking alms. Receive what is given you with humility, and accept a refusal meekly. Frequently call to mind Our Lady's journey into Egypt with her Holy Child, and of all the poverty, contempt and suffering they endured. If you follow their example you will indeed be rich amid your poverty.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: February 05, 2020, 05:56:32 AM »

'If they be faithful and seek no satisfaction in creatures, they pass from pure suffering to the pure love of God. But the fortunate souls who succeed thus far are very few.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1679 on: February 06, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »

'Let each one ask of God grace for love of Jesus, notwithstanding that thou beest a sinner.'

St. Bernardine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: February 07, 2020, 07:08:39 AM »

'Sin is the executioner of the good God, and the assassin of the soul. It snatches us away from Heaven to precipitate us into Hell. And we love it! What folly! If we thought seriously about it, we should have such a lively horror of sin that we could not commit it.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: February 08, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »

'The signs that accompany those who wish to submit to the Logos of God and who bring forth good fruit are: sighing, weeping, sorrow, stillness, shaking of the head, prayer, silence, persistence, bitter grief, tribulation of heart arising from religious devotion. In addition, their actions manifest vigilance, fasting, self-control, gentleness, forbearance, unceasing prayer, study of the divine Scriptures, faith, humility, brotherly affection, submission, rigorous toil, hardship, love, kindliness, courtesy and-the sum of all-light, which is the Lord. The signs that accompany those who are not producing the fruit of life are listlessness, day-dreaming, curiosity, lack of attention, grumbling, instability; and in their actions they manifest gluttony, anger, wrath, back-biting, conceit, untimely talk, unbelief, disorderliness, forgetfulness, unrest, sordid greed, avarice, envy, fractiousness, contempt, garrulity, senseless laughter, willfulness and - the sum of all - darkness, which is Satan.'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: February 10, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »

'Thus saith the Lord: Take heed to your souls and carry no burdens on the Sabbath day: and bring them not in by the gates of Jerusalem.'

Jeremias 17:21

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 108 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: