Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700898 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: February 07, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

'Sin is the executioner of the good God, and the assassin of the soul. It snatches us away from Heaven to precipitate us into Hell. And we love it! What folly! If we thought seriously about it, we should have such a lively horror of sin that we could not commit it.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: February 08, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »

'The signs that accompany those who wish to submit to the Logos of God and who bring forth good fruit are: sighing, weeping, sorrow, stillness, shaking of the head, prayer, silence, persistence, bitter grief, tribulation of heart arising from religious devotion. In addition, their actions manifest vigilance, fasting, self-control, gentleness, forbearance, unceasing prayer, study of the divine Scriptures, faith, humility, brotherly affection, submission, rigorous toil, hardship, love, kindliness, courtesy and-the sum of all-light, which is the Lord. The signs that accompany those who are not producing the fruit of life are listlessness, day-dreaming, curiosity, lack of attention, grumbling, instability; and in their actions they manifest gluttony, anger, wrath, back-biting, conceit, untimely talk, unbelief, disorderliness, forgetfulness, unrest, sordid greed, avarice, envy, fractiousness, contempt, garrulity, senseless laughter, willfulness and - the sum of all - darkness, which is Satan.'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »

'Thus saith the Lord: Take heed to your souls and carry no burdens on the Sabbath day: and bring them not in by the gates of Jerusalem.'

Jeremias 17:21

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1683 on: February 11, 2020, 02:03:20 AM »

'Mary being destined to negotiate peace between God and man, it was not proper that she should be an accomplice in the disobedience of Adam.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: February 12, 2020, 02:03:45 AM »

'I, Claude de la Colombiere, do from this hour bind myself by vow to fully and perfectly observe the rules of my order; to reject with horror all that men of the world love and thirst after; and to accept and yearn for the things that Christ our Lord loved and chose.'

St. Claude de la Colombiere

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: February 13, 2020, 03:50:33 AM »

'Watch over all your senses, and particularly over your eyes. By guarding the eyes, interior recollection may be acquired; for when we are at the window, or at the door, we may see what is going on outside, but not what is passing within; whereas, if we direct our attention to the interior of the house, we know nothing of what is passing without.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1686 on: February 14, 2020, 02:20:41 AM »

'My son, give me thy heart: and let thy eyes keep my ways.'

Proverbs 23:26

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1687 on: February 14, 2020, 05:52:47 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, the season of Lent, when compared to the whole year, may be likened to a storm-free harbour, in which all who are sailing together enjoy a spiritual calm.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: February 15, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »

'Divine love takes its sword to the hidden recesses of our inmost soul and divides us from ourselves. I know one person whom love cut off from all that was dearest to her, just as completely and effectively as if a tyrant's blade had severed spirit from body.'

St. Jane Frances de Chantal

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1689 on: February 16, 2020, 03:49:31 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, most people call the present days feasts, because of they get drunk and debauched during them, not understanding that these days demand abstinence from meat, not indulgence in drunkenness and intoxication. That is proper to a pagan feast; it is the business of Christians to exercise self-control and not to satisfy the desires of the flesh, as the Apostle teaches. Nevertheless evil has progressed into law and leads the world as it wishes. But let us, brethren, flee intemperance even in partaking of things that are permitted, for we know that intemperance is the mother of sin.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1690 on: February 17, 2020, 05:05:36 AM »

'Many go under the name of good men according to the standard of the world, and observe in some sort the commandments of the Law, who yet are not Christians. And these generally boast of themselves, as the Pharisees did; Are we blind also? But inasmuch as all that they do they do foolishly, without knowing to what end it tends, our Lord saith of them, Verily, verily, I say unto you. He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Let the Pagans then, the Jews, the Heretics, say, "We lead a good life;" if they enter not by the door, what availeth it? A good life only profiteth, as leading to life eternal. Indeed those cannot be said to lead a good life, who are either blindly ignorant of, or wilfully despise, the end of good living. No one can hope for eternal life, who knows not Christ, who is the life, and by that door enters into the fold.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1691 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:55 AM »

'Jesus Christ is the true Friend of our hearts, for they are made for Him alone; therefore they can find neither rest, joy nor fullness of content save in Him -- so let us love Him with all our strength.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1692 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:38 AM »

'The devil, who is a most haughty spirit, is never more completely mastered than by humility of heart, and a simple, clear, undisguised manifestation of our sins and temptations to our confessor.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1693 on: February 19, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »

'Thoughts and influences are suggested and infused in human hearts by two spirits, that is to say, from the good spirit and from the bad. The good spirit urges people to think on the future goods of heaven and not to love temporal goods. The bad spirit urges them to love what they see, makes light of sin, offers the excuse of weakness, and adduces the example of weak sinners.'

God, to St. Bridget of Sweden

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1694 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »

'Some passions pertain to the body, others to the soul. The first are occasioned by the body, the second by external objects. Love and self-control overcome both kinds, the first curbing the passions of the soul and the second those of the body.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1695 on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »

'I am standing before the judgment seat of God. . . Until this moment, I have done my utmost to keep the commandments of God; but I am a man; how should I know if my deeds are acceptable to God? . . . I shall have no confidence until I meet God. Truly the judgment of God is not that of man. . . Of charity, do not talk to me any more, for I no longer have time.'

St. Agathon, upon his death

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: