Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700956 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: March 08, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »

'No one, putting his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.'

Luke 9:62

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1713 on: March 09, 2020, 02:46:40 AM »

'"Thou hast given gladness to my heart," wrote the psalmist (Ps. 4:7); and the Lord Himself said that "the kingdom of heaven is within you." (cf. Luke 17:21)

. . . The crown of every good endeavor and the highest of achievements is diligence in prayer. Through it God guiding us and lending a helping hand, we come to acquire the other virtues . . . as the work of prayer is greater than other work, so it demands greater effort and attention from the person ardently devoted to it, lest without him being aware the devil deprives him of it. The greater the good a person has in his care, the greater the attacks the devil launches on him; hence he must keep strict watch, so that fruits of love and humility, simplicity and goodness - and, along with them, fruits of discrimination - may grow daily from the constancy of his prayer. These will make evident his progress and increase in holiness, thus encouraging others to make similar efforts.'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1714 on: March 10, 2020, 06:19:46 AM »

'And these things we write to you, that you may rejoice, and your joy may be full. And this is the declaration which we have heard from him, and declare unto you: That God is light, and in him there is no darkness.'

1 John 1:4

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1715 on: March 10, 2020, 11:35:10 PM »

'In the lives of the Fathers we read that there was a certain poor monk who owned a mat. At night he put half of it under him and the other half he used as a coverlet. Once when it was very cold, the superior of the monastery heard the poor monk praying: "I give thanks, O my God," he prayed, "because there are very many rich men in prison, many in irons, many in the stocks, but I like an emperor and lord may stretch my legs and go whither I wish."'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1716 on: March 11, 2020, 04:00:02 AM »

'With Divine consolation all troubles change into pleasures, all weariness into rest. For whoever advances with this interior peace, is never so burdened but that it feels light.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: March 11, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »

'In vain will our sacred discourses strike the external ear, unless God by a spiritual gift opens the hearing of the interior man.'

St. Fulgentius of Ruspe

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1718 on: March 12, 2020, 05:27:26 AM »

'If our natural feelings, being hurt, cause us to utter some words, or to act in opposition with the principles we profess, we must chastise them severely until they have obeyed us.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1719 on: March 13, 2020, 09:03:28 AM »

'It is through our fulfilling of the commandments that the Lord makes us dispassionate; and it is through His divine teachings that He gives us the light of spiritual knowledge. All such teachings are concerned either with God, or with things visible and invisible, or else with the providence and judgment relating to them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: March 14, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

'Everybody is against us. I rejoice in this, for God will be more favorable to us. . . If we be faithful, God will not fail us.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1721 on: March 15, 2020, 02:51:06 AM »

'Decorum, however, as well as religion, requires that as a Christian, you not allow yourself to sing every sort of song and that you be especially on your guard not to sing indecent songs or those whose words are too explicit or contain double meanings. In a word, it is very unbecoming for a Christian to sing songs that might lead to impiety, that glorify loose living, or that contain expressions and words suggesting that it is an honor and a great pleasure to drink to excess. Besides the fact that it is very uncouth to have these words on your lips, such words might strongly contribute to having someone else fall into such excesses, even if he is not doing so at the moment. Songs can move you with the spirit they contain more strongly than do mere words.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1722 on: March 16, 2020, 03:07:40 AM »

'The person who has surrendered himself entirely to sin indulges with enjoyment and pleasure in unnatural and shameful passions - licentiousness, unchastity, greed, hatred, guile and other forms of vice - as though they were natural. The genuine and perfected Christian, on the other hand, with great enjoyment and spiritual pleasure participates effortlessly and without impediment in all the virtues and all the supranatural fruits of the Spirit - love, peace, patient endurance, faith, humility and the entire truly golden galaxy of virtue - as though they were natural.'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: March 18, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »

'When tribulations, infirmities, and contradictions come, we must not run away in a fright, but vanquish them like men.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1724 on: March 19, 2020, 02:48:30 AM »

'Our prayers are so dear to God, that he has appointed the angels to present them to him as soon as they come forth from our mouths. 'The angels,' says St. Hilary, 'preside over the prayers of the faithful, and offer them daily to God.' This is that smoke of the incense, which are the prayers of saints, which St. John saw ascending to God from the hands of the angels (Apoc. 8,3); and which he saw in another place represented by golden phials full of sweet odors, very acceptable to God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1725 on: March 24, 2020, 06:41:20 PM »

'He who at the hour of death finds himself protected by St. Joseph, will certainly experience great consolation.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1726 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »

'St. Ignatius often said: "Ignatius, overcome thyself; Ignatius, overcome thyself." Oh, what important advice! What a great point of perfection!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: March 28, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »

'Patience is necessary for the servant of God, and we must not be distressed at trouble, but wait for consolation.'

St. Philip Neri

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: