Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700952 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1728 on: March 29, 2020, 01:47:57 AM »

'The good pleasure of God, if we truly love it, ought to be preferred by us to the acquisition of all riches, of the loftiest glory, of all the delights of earth, and even of Paradise itself; for it is certain that all the blessed, if they were to know that it would please God more that they should burn in hell, one and all, even the Mother of God among them, would cast themselves into that abyss of flames, and suffer eternally in order to give greater pleasure to God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: March 29, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »

'More determination is required to subdue the interior man than to mortify the body; and to break one's will than to break one's bones.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1730 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »

'And if any of the events which happen pass our understanding, let us not from this consider that our affairs are not governed by Providence, but perceiving His Providence in part, in things incomprehensible let us yield to the unsearchableness of His wisdom.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1731 on: March 31, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »

'Brother Egidius, of the Order of St. Francis, once said to St. Bonaventure: "Happy you, O Father Bonaventure, who are so learned, and who, by your learning, can become more holy than I can, who am a poor ignorant man." "Listen," replied the saint: "if an old woman knows how to love God better than I do, she is more learned and more holy than I am." At hearing this, Brother Egidius exclaimed: "poor old woman! poor old woman! Father Bonaventure says that, if you love God more than he does, you can surpass him in sanctity."'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1732 on: April 01, 2020, 05:38:14 AM »

'Happy indeed the man whom God corrects! So do not refuse this lesson from the Omnipotent: for He who wounds is He who soothes the sore, and the hand that hurts is the hand that heals.'

Job 5:17-18

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1733 on: April 02, 2020, 03:25:55 AM »

'O the supreme folly of those who resist the divine will! In God's providence, no one can escape hardship: "Who resisteth his will?" (Rom 9:19) A person, who rails at God in adversity, suffers without merit; moreover by his lack of resignation he adds to his punishment in the next life and experiences greater disquietude of mind in this life: "Who resisteth him and hath had peace?" (Job 9:4) The screaming rage of the sick man in his pain, the whining complaints of the poor man in his destitution -- what will they avail these people, except increase their unhappiness and bring them no relief? "Little man," says St. Augustine, "grow up. What are you seeking in your search for happiness? Seek the one good that embraces all others." Whom do you seek, friend, if you seek not God? Seek him, find him, cleave to him; bind your will to his with bands of steel and you will live always at peace in this life and in the next.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: April 02, 2020, 04:34:08 AM »

'Almost every sin is committed for the sake of sensual pleasure; and sensual pleasure is overcome by hardship and distress arising either voluntarily from repentance, or else involuntarily as a result of some salutary and providential reversal. "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged; but when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, so that we should not be condemned with the world." (1 Cor. 11:31-32)'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1735 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:23 AM »

'He who suffers injustice escapes sin, finding help in proportion to his affliction.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1736 on: April 05, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »

'If in times of dryness in prayer we make acts of humility, self-knowledge, protestations of our own inability to help ourselves, and petitions for God's assistance, all this is real and substantial prayer.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: April 06, 2020, 05:29:36 AM »

'"In the company of the innocent, you will be innocent; in the company of the elect, you will be elect; and in a crooked man's company you will go wrong." [Ps. 18:26,27]

Let us, then, follow the innocent and the upright. They, it is, who are God's elect.'

Pope St. Clement I of Rome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1738 on: April 08, 2020, 02:37:47 AM »

'Rejoice, O Virgin Mary! Rejoice a thousand times!'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:24 PM »

'Where shalt thou rejoice? Upon the Cross, with the Spotless Lamb, seeking His honour and the salvation of souls, through continual, humble prayer. Now herein is all our perfection.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1740 on: April 11, 2020, 02:07:32 AM »

'One day, when the weather was extremely cold, I wished to make a fire. I went to the woods to pick up some dry branches, which had been exposed to the air for a long time. In a moment I had a big fire. Why? Because for a long time the wood had been exposed to the cold, the frost, the wind, and the sun, and had thus lost its dampness. So it is with us: if we wish our hearts to become inflamed with divine love, we must permit ourselves to be purified by suffering, humbly and resignedly, temptations, trials, persecutions, tribulations. Oh! being then well cleansed, divine love will possess us.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1741 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »

'Wonder not at this; for the hour cometh, wherein all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God. And they that have done good things, shall come forth unto the resurrection of life; but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.'

John 5:28-29

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: April 13, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »

'They [the Modernists] exercise all their ingenuity in diminishing the force and falsifying the character of tradition, so as to rob it of all its weight. But for Catholics the second Council of Nicea will always have the force of law, where it condemns those who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics, to deride the ecclesiastical traditions, to invent novelties of some kind . . . or endeavour by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church; and Catholics will hold for law, also, the profession of the fourth Council of Constantinople: We therefore profess to conserve and guard the rules bequeathed to the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church by the Holy and most illustrious Apostles, by the orthodox Councils, both general and local, and by every one of those divine interpreters the Fathers and Doctors of the Church. Wherefore the Roman Pontiffs, Pius IV. and Pius IX., ordered the insertion in the profession of faith of the following declaration: I most firmly admit and embrace the apostolic and ecclesiastical traditions and other observances and constitutions of the Church.'

Pope St. Pius X

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »

'Beginners in religion ought to exercise themselves principally in meditation on the Four Last Things.'

St. Philip Neri

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: