Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700987 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: May 05, 2020, 02:47:44 AM »

'Poverty, so much abhorred by the world, is a precious pearl, and in the sight of God contains all wealth.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1761 on: May 07, 2020, 04:46:23 AM »

'Enlighten me, O Lord! and make known to me what I must do to be saved, for with Thy help I will do all that Thou requirest of me.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1762 on: May 08, 2020, 05:51:05 AM »

'As long as you have bad habits do not reject hardship, so that through it you may be humbled and eject your pride.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1763 on: May 10, 2020, 02:44:46 AM »

'According to St. Bonaventure, all the angels in heaven unceasingly call out to her: "Holy, holy, holy Mary, Virgin Mother of God." They greet her countless times each day with the angelic greeting, "Hail, Mary", while prostrating themselves before her, begging her as a favour to honour them with one of her requests. According to St. Augustine, even St. Michael, though prince of all the heavenly court, is the most eager of all the angels to honour her and lead others to honour her. At all times he awaits the privilege of going at her word to the aid of one of her servants.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1764 on: May 11, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »

'"Most excellent lady, were you not sanctified in your mothers' womb? How was it that you said these things? Were you not free from every sin and filled with every grace?"

"Listen, Elizabeth. Undoubtedly, daughter, I was such as you say. However, you should know this in truth, that at that time I considered myself vile and wretched and unworthy of every grace of God's, just as you now consider yourself, and even more so. And so I was always asking God that he would deign to infuse into me his grace and strength."'

The Blessed Virgin, to St. Elizabeth, from 'The Revelations of St. Elizabeth of Toss'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1765 on: May 12, 2020, 02:13:38 AM »

'We are to love God for Himself, because of a twofold reason; nothing is more reasonable, nothing more profitable. When one asks, "Why should I love God?" he may mean, "What is lovely in God?" or "What shall I gain by loving God?" In either case, the same sufficient cause of love exists, namely, God Himself.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1766 on: May 13, 2020, 03:20:03 AM »

'O Mary, O Mother of sorrows! At the foot of the cross, you became our Mother. I am the child of your sorrow, the child of Calvary.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1767 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:45 AM »

'Perceiving the Christian religion tottering this long time, the primary means of salvation neglected; and being moved by the manifest danger and perdition of the flock of Christ, we recur to the doctrine of the Fathers, ordaining nothing new, nothing of our own invention; form the full conviction of the necessity of embracing the exclusive and primary path of salvation -- the trite path of the Saints: because we are not aware of any other entrance, for either flock or pastors, into the kingdom of heaven than that which is pointed out by him who said, I am the gate; whosever will enter through me, shall find security and pasture; and what we find preached by the Apostles, and observed by the Fathers.'

Pope St. Gregory VII

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1768 on: May 15, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »

'Prostrating myself at the foot of my Crucifix I said: "How happy should I be, O my loving Savior, if Thou wouldst imprint on me the likeness of Thy sufferings." To which He replied: "This is what I intend to do, provided thou dost not resist Me and on thy side dost contribute thereto.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1769 on: May 16, 2020, 05:14:05 AM »

'Humility and ascetic hardship free a man from all sin, for the one cuts out the passions of the soul, the other those of the body. This is what the blessed David indicates when he prays to God, saying, "Look on my humility and my toil, and forgive all my sins" (Ps. 25:18).'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1770 on: May 17, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »

'It is therefore an indispensable obligation for all Catholics who are eager to prove that they are true sons of Holy Mother the Church to adhere to the holy faith of the Fathers, to preserve it, to die for it, and, on the other hand, to detest the profane novelties of profane men, to dread them, to harass them, and to attack them.'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1771 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »

'We believe in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church; for heretics and schismatics call their own congregations churches. But heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently, neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church; not heretics, because the Church loves God, and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1772 on: May 18, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »

'Every sin produces blindness; and as sin increases, so does the blindness increase. God is our light; as much, therefore, as the soul withdraws from God, so much the more blind does she become.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1773 on: May 19, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »

'Struggle until death to fulfill the commandments: purified through them, you will enter into life.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1774 on: May 20, 2020, 08:02:24 AM »

'He who has realized love for God in his heart is tireless, as Jeremiah says (cf. Jer. 17:16. LXX), in his pursuit of the Lord his God, and bears every hardship, reproach and insult nobly, never thinking the least evil of anyone.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1775 on: May 22, 2020, 12:30:10 AM »

'Thus, our Lord Jesus, all glorious and resplendently shining, ascended into heaven, triumphantly leading with him the noble tribe of holy Fathers, and fulfilling that which the prophet Micah had said long before his ascension: "And their king shall pass before them, and the Lord at the head of them." So that they all followed him with unspeakable joy, singing canticles of praises and thanksgiving to him, for their deliverance from all sorrow, and their entrance into all joy, and neverending felicity.'

St. Bonaventure

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: