Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700928 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1808 on: July 03, 2020, 02:49:10 AM »

'If you wish to overcome impassioned thoughts, acquire self-control and love for your neighbor.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: July 04, 2020, 02:43:31 AM »

'Whenever we do a good work, and somebody else takes the credit of it, we ought to rejoice, and acknowledge it as a gift from God. Anyhow, we ought not to be sorry, because if others diminish our glory before men, we shall recover it with all the more honour before God.'

St. Philip Neri

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1810 on: July 05, 2020, 02:39:52 AM »

'Accept present afflictions for the sake of future blessings; then you will never weaken in your struggle.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: July 06, 2020, 01:26:37 AM »

'It is in vain that we cut off the branches of evil, if we leave intact the root, which continually produces new ones.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: July 07, 2020, 02:42:51 AM »

'Initially our search for wisdom is prompted by fear; but as we attain our goal we are led forward by love.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1813 on: July 07, 2020, 04:02:00 AM »

'One who is ill must not wish to do the work of a well man; let him compensate by moderation and patience, and not injure his health.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: July 10, 2020, 06:48:39 AM »

'Bury all your misery in the mercy of the loving Heart of Jesus and think of nothing but of pleasing Him by forgetting self. Henceforth let Him do all that He wills in you, with you and for you.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: July 11, 2020, 06:43:12 AM »

'The author of the Imperfect Work says that all that see a tree covered with pale and withered leaves immediately infer that its roots have been injured; and when we see a people immoral, we may justly conclude, without danger of rash judgment, that the priest is a man without virtue.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1816 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:48 AM »

'Obedience to a commandment purifies the soul, and purification of the soul leads to its participation in light.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:27 AM »

'And as Adam opposed his own will to the divine will, so we must seek to have the will of God as our only object, and by it to have our own disposed and annihilated. And as we cannot by ourselves discover our own evil inclinations, and our secret self-love, nor possibly annihilate our own self-will, it is very useful to subject our will to that of some other creature, and to do its bidding for the love of God.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: July 17, 2020, 01:05:05 AM »

'It is a great achievement not to be attracted by things. But it is a far greater achievement to remain dispassionate in the face both of things and of the conceptual images we derive from them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1819 on: July 18, 2020, 01:06:46 AM »

'Subjugate your body, strip it of sensual pleasures, and free it from base servitude.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: July 19, 2020, 03:01:34 AM »

'Then at last I baptize them in due form, and I give to each his name written on a ticket. After their baptism the new Christians go back to their houses and bring me their wives and families for baptism. When all are baptized I order all the temples of their false gods to be destroyed and all the idols to be broken in pieces. I can give you no idea of the joy I feel in seeing this done, witnessing the destruction of the idols by the very people who but lately adored them.'

St. Francis Xavier

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1821 on: July 21, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »

'And it may be indeed asserted, without fear of contradiction, God was more beloved in one century after the coming of Jesus Christ than in the entire forty preceding centuries.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: July 26, 2020, 11:33:43 PM »

'The devotions we practice in honor of the glorious Virgin Mary, however trifling they be, are very pleasing to her divine Son, and He rewards them with eternal glory.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1823 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:06 AM »

'The soul will not desire to be separated from the body unless it becomes indifferent to the very air it breathes. All the bodily senses are opposed to faith, for they are concerned with the objects of this present world, while faith is concerned only with the blessings of the life to come. Thus one pursuing the spiritual way should never be too greatly preoccupied with beautifully branched or shady trees, pleasantly flowing springs, flowery meadows, fine houses or even visits to his family; neither should he recall any public honors that he happens to have been given. He should gratefully be content with bare necessities, regarding this present life as a road passing through an alien land, barren of all worldly attractions. For it is only by concentrating our mind in this way that we can keep to the road that leads back to eternity.'

St. Diadochos of Photiki

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: