Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2022, 02:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 158 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 579574 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: August 26, 2020, 01:11:58 AM »

'There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle the contests of temptation; and in the end the fullness of perfection.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 26, 2020, 01:18:13 AM »

'There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle the contests of temptation; and in the end the fullness of perfection.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great
May the mercy and goodness of the Spirit of God guide us through all sweetness, all temptation and into the fullness of all perfection through Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1842 on: August 27, 2020, 03:18:10 AM »

'One day when Blessed Alan was saying Mass, Our Lord, Who wished to spur him on to preach the Holy Rosary, spoke to him in the Sacred Host: "How can you crucify Me again so soon?" Jesus said. "What did you say, Lord?" asked Blessed Alan, horrified. "You crucified Me once before by your sins," answered Jesus, "and I would willingly be crucified again rather than have My Father offended by the sins you used to commit. You are crucifying Me again now because you have all the learning and understanding that you need to preach My Mother's Rosary, and you are not doing so. If you only did this you could teach many souls the right path and lead them away from sin - but you are not doing so and so you yourself are guilty of the sins that they commit." This terrible reproach made Blessed Alan solemnly resolve to preach the Rosary unceasingly.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1843 on: August 28, 2020, 05:01:42 AM »

'Plunge yourself often into the charity of that lovable Heart so that you may never act towards your neighbor in a manner which may, in the least, wound that virtue, never doing to others what you would not wish done to yourself.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1844 on: August 29, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »

'Truly, matters in the world are in a bad state; but if you and I begin in earnest to reform ourselves, a really good beginning will have been made.'

St. Peter of Alcantara

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1845 on: August 30, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »

'Even the holiest desires, whether they refer to the salvation of souls or the needs of the Church, which are very great, should be consumed in the fire of the love of God, whence they proceed, and await God's time for their fulfilment. Meanwhile cultivate one only desire, the most perfect of all; that is, to please God more and more, and to nourish yourself with His will.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1846 on: August 31, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »

'Whatever a man loves he inevitably clings to, and in order not to lose it he rejects everything that keeps him from it. So he who loves God cultivates pure prayer, driving out every passion that keeps him from it.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1847 on: September 01, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »

'Our Lord frequently told me that I should keep a secluded place for Him in my heart. . . where He would teach me to love Him.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1848 on: September 02, 2020, 01:02:34 AM »

'I hold that not only virgins and widows, but also wives and all women without exception, should be admonished that nowise should they deface God's work and fabric, the clay that He has fashioned, with the aid of yellow pigments, black powders or rouge, or by applying any dye that alters the natural features. . . They lay hands on God, when they strive to reform what He has formed. This is an assault on the Divine handiwork, a distortion of the truth. Thou shalt not be able to see God, having no longer the eyes that God made, but those the devil has unmade; with him shalt thou burn on whose account thou art bedecked.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1849 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:50 AM »

'See, my children, if we really wish to be saved we must determine, once for all, to labor in earnest for our salvation; our soul is like a garden in which the weeds are ever ready to choke the good plants and flowers that have been sown in it. If the gardener who has charge of this garden neglects it, if he is not continually using the spade and the hoe, the flowers and plants will soon disappear. Thus, my children, do the virtues with which God has been pleased to adorn our soul disappear under our vices if we neglect to cultivate them. As a vigilant gardener labours from morning till night to destroy the weeds in his garden, and to ornament it with flowers, so let us labor every day to uproot the vices of our soul and to adorn it with virtues. See, my children, a gardener never lets the weeds take root, because he knows that then he would never be able to destroy them. Neither let us allow our vices to take root, or we shall not be able to conquer them.

One day, an anchorite being in a forest with a companion, showed him four cypresses to be pulled up one after the other; the young man, who did not very well know why he told him to do this, took hold of the first tree, which was quite small, and pulled it up with one hand without trouble; the second, which was a little bigger and had some roots, made him pull harder, but yet he pulled it up with one hand; the third, being still bigger, offered so much resistance, that he was obliged to take both hands and to use all his strength; the fourth, which was grown into a tree, had such deep roots, that he exhausted himself in vain efforts. The saint then said to him, "With a little vigilance and mortification, we succeed in repressing our passions, and we triumph over them when they are only springing up; but when they have taken deep root, nothing is more difficult; the thing is even impossible without a miracle."

Let us not reckon on a miracle of Providence, my children; let us not put off till the end of our life the care that we ought daily to take of our soul; let us labor while there is yet time. . .'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1850 on: September 04, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »

'First, discover by reflection whether you are occasionally or habitually negligent. Recollect whether the control of your heart is slipshod and haphazard.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: September 05, 2020, 01:53:33 AM »

'Woe to the torrent of custom! Who will check thy ravages? When wilt thou be dried up? How long wilt thou toss these sons of Eve in this immense, this formidable sea, which the best-equipped can scarcely traverse?'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1852 on: September 06, 2020, 02:43:39 AM »

'You are the ones who are happy; you who remain within the Church by your Faith, who hold firmly to the foundations of the Faith which has come down to you from Apostolic Tradition. And if an execrable jealousy has tried to shake it on a number of occasions, it has not succeeded. They are the ones who have broken away from it in the present crisis. No one, ever, will prevail against your Faith, beloved Brothers. And we believe that God will give us our churches back some day.'

St. Athanasius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1853 on: September 07, 2020, 12:37:50 AM »

'Blessed the one who stands in the assembly and prays like an Angel from heaven, keeping his thoughts pure day by day, and has given no entrance to the Evil One to make his soul a prisoner, far from God his Saviour.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1854 on: September 08, 2020, 02:58:05 AM »

'Just as men take pride in having others wear their livery, so the Most Holy Mary is pleased when her servants wear her scapular as a mark that they have dedicated themselves to her service, and are members of the family of the Mother of God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1855 on: September 09, 2020, 01:59:33 AM »

'I have always something to repent for after having talked, but have never been sorry for having been silent.'

St. Arsenius

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 158 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: