Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705401 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1904 on: October 24, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »

'Not to know how to deny our soul its own wishes, is to foment a very hot-bed of vices.'

St. Philip Neri

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1905 on: October 25, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »

'Our body is a vessel of corruption; it is meant for death and for the worms, nothing more! And yet we devote ourselves to satisfying it, rather than to enriching our soul, which is so great that we can conceive nothing greater -- no, nothing, nothing! For we see that God, urged by the ardor of His love, would not create us like the animals; He has created us in His own image and likeness, do you see? Oh, how great is man!

Man, being created by love, cannot live without love: either he loves God, for he loves himself and he loves the world. See, my children, it is faith that we want. . . . When we have not faith, we are blind. He who does not see, does not know; he who does not know does not love; he who does not love God loves himself, and at the same time loves his pleasures. He fixes his heart on things which pass away like smoke. He cannot know the truth, nor any good thing; he can know nothing but falsehood, because he has no light; he is in a mist. If he had light, he would see plainly that all that he loves can give him nothing but eternal death; it is a foretaste of Hell.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1906 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:55 AM »

'Humility, which Christ recommended to us both by word and example, ought to include three conditions. First, we are to consider ourselves, in all sincerity, worthy of the contempt of men; secondly, to be glad that others should see what is imperfect in us and what might cause them to despise us; thirdly, when the Lord works any good in us or by our means, to conceal it, if possible, at the sight of our baseness, and if this cannot be done, to ascribe it to the Divine Mercy, and to the merits of others. Whoever shall attain to this humility, happy is he! And to him who shall not attain it, griefs will never be wanting.'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1907 on: October 27, 2020, 09:13:50 AM »

'Impel your intellect continually to prayer and you will destroy the evil thoughts that beset your heart.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1908 on: October 28, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »

'The best perfection is to do ordinary things in a perfect manner. Constant fidelity in little things is a great and heroic virtue.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1909 on: October 29, 2020, 01:02:10 AM »

'That our Redeemer was the first who taught, by his example, modesty of the eyes, may, as a learned author remarks, be inferred from the holy evangelists, who say that on some occasion he raised his eyes. And he, lifting up his eyes on his disciples. When Jesus therefore had lifted up his eyes. From these passages we may conclude that the Redeemer ordinarily kept his eyes cast down. Hence the Apostle, praising the modesty of the Saviour, says: I beseech you, by the mildness and modesty of Christ.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1910 on: October 30, 2020, 01:17:10 AM »

'When, on the contrary, you do not feel this interior peace, or this recollection, the soul can no longer meditate. Make no effort to do so; you ought, however, always to keep up a loving attention to God in the superior part of the soul. In this case, remain before God, detached from all consolation, like a statue in its niche.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1911 on: October 31, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »

'Inveterate wickedness requires long practice of the virtues; for an engrained habit is not easily uprooted.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1912 on: November 01, 2020, 01:17:38 AM »

'Happy the man to whom God has given the science of the saints. [c.f. Sap. x. 10.] Oh, how sublime the science which teaches us to know how to love God and to save our souls!

Happy, says St. Augustine, is the man "who knows God, although he is ignorant of other things." They who know God, the love which he merits, and how to love him, stand not in need of any other knowledge. They are wiser than those who are masters of many sciences, but know not how to love God.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1913 on: November 02, 2020, 04:23:12 AM »

'St. Catherine of Bologna, when she wished to obtain any grace, had recourse to the souls in Purgatory, and her prayers were heard immediately. She declared that, by praying to those holy souls she obtained many favors which she had sought through the intercession of the saints without obtaining them. The graces which devout persons are said to have received through the holy souls are innumerable.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1914 on: November 03, 2020, 04:37:28 AM »

'When the devil suggests discouraging thoughts, we must seek help in the remembrance of the blessings, without number, that we have received from God.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1915 on: November 04, 2020, 05:53:42 AM »

'Do not wish what concerns you to be as seems (best) to you, but as God wishes; and you will be free from cares and thankful in your prayer.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 04, 2020, 09:42:01 PM »

"As you go through life, equip yourself with prayer. When you arrive at your destination, stretch out your hands. Scourge your enemies with the name of Jesus, for there is no weapon more powerful in heaven or on earth. When you are free from the pestilence of fear, glorify Him who has saved you. If you persist in being grateful, He will forever guard you."
Saint John of the Ladder from the Ladder of Divine Ascent Step 21

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1917 on: November 05, 2020, 05:46:52 AM »

'Reflect that Job lost his possessions and his sons and his health: his wife remained to him for a perpetual scourge; and then, when God had tested his patience, He restored everything to him double, and at the end eternal life.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1918 on: November 06, 2020, 04:03:27 AM »

'What hast thou to boast of, O dust and ashes, since of thyself thou art nought but nothingness and misery; thou shouldst never lose sight thereof and shouldst ever remain buried in this abyss of thy nothingness. Lest the greatness of My gifts lead thee to forget what thou art, behold I will set before thee this portrait of thyself.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1919 on: November 07, 2020, 05:13:35 AM »

'There was once a solitary who had built himself a royal palace in the trunk of an oak-tree; he had placed thorns inside of it, and he had fastened three stones over his head, so that when he raised himself or turned over he might feel the stones or the thorns. And we, we think of nothing but finding good beds, that we may sleep at our ease.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: