Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700904 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1968 on: December 23, 2020, 02:18:53 AM »

'I ought to burn of love for God out of gratitude for the kindness that He has shown me.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1969 on: December 25, 2020, 06:11:33 AM »

'And it came to pass, after the angels departed from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another: Let us go over to Bethlehem, and let us see this word that is come to pass, which the Lord hath shewed to us. And they came with haste; and they found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. And seeing, they understood of the word that had been spoken to them concerning this child. And all that heard, wondered; and at those things that were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these words, pondering them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God, for all the things they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.'

Luke 2:15-20

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1970 on: December 25, 2020, 06:13:59 AM »

'Oh, how beautiful, perfect, and dear to God were the prayers of the Infant Jesus! At every moment he prayed to his Father, and his prayers were all for us and for each one of us in particular. All the graces that each one of us has received from the Lord, and our being called to the true faith, our having had time given us for repentance, the lights, the sorrow for sins, the pardon of them, the holy desires, the victory over temptations, and all the other good acts that we have made, or shall make, of confidence, of humility, of love, of thanksgiving, of offering, of resignation, all these Jesus has obtained for us, and all has been the effect of the prayers of Jesus. Oh, how much do we owe him! and how much ought we not to thank him and to love him!'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1971 on: December 26, 2020, 07:03:14 AM »

'O amiable Infant! though I see Thee in this cavern lying on straw poor and despised, yet faith teaches me that Thou art my God, who earnest down from heaven for my salvation. I acknowledge Thee, then, for my sovereign Lord and Saviour; but I have nothing, alas! to offer Thee. I have no gold of love, because I have loved creatures; I have loved my own caprices, but I have not loved Thee, O amiable infinite One! I have not the incense of prayer, because I have lived in a miserable state of forgetfulness of Thee. I have no myrrh of mortification, for I have often displeased Thy infinite goodness that I might not be deprived of my miserable pleasures. What then shall I offer Thee? I offer Thee my heart, filthy and poor as it is; do Thou accept it, and change it. Thou earnest into the world for this purpose, to wash the hearts of men from their sins by Thy blood, and thus change them from sinners into saints. Give me, there fore, I pray Thee, this gold, this incense, and this myrrh. Give me the gold of Thy holy love; give me the spirit of holy prayer, give me the desire and strength to mortify myself in everything that displeases Thee. I am resolved to obey Thee and to love Thee; but Thou knowest my weakness, oh, give me the grace to be faithful to Thee! Most holy Virgin, thou who didst welcome with such affection and didst console the holy Magi, do thou welcome and console me also, who come to visit thy Son and to offer myself to him. O my Mother, I have great confidence in thy intercession! Do thou recommend me to Jesus. To thee do I intrust my soul and my will; bind it forever to the love of Jesus!'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1972 on: December 27, 2020, 03:01:00 AM »

'In short, let us meditate on the divine majesty shrouded beneath the form of a little Infant, despised and forsaken by the world, and who does and suffers everything in order to make himself loved by men, and let us beseech him to admit us into this sacred retreat; there stop, there remain, and never leave it again.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1973 on: December 28, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »

'Behold, O my soul, the means by which you can honor your God, viz., by renouncing and humbling yourself with Jesus Christ and for the love of Jesus Christ. Thus you will find a life in death, sweetness in bitterness, and God in self-effacement: for you must leave all in order to find Him.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1974 on: December 29, 2020, 02:57:45 AM »

'Whatsoever we do, we can never be true children of Mary, unless we are humble.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1975 on: December 30, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »

'Blessed the one who loves gentleness with spiritual understanding and is not tripped up by the wicked Serpent, for he has as his hope the good and compassionate Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1976 on: December 31, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »

'It is possible to offer fervent prayer even while walking in public or strolling alone, or seated in your shop, . . . while buying or selling, . . . or even while cooking.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1977 on: January 01, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »

Let us never despair of the divine help; we would thereby do a serious injustice to the Father of mercies.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1978 on: January 02, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »

'There are virtues of the body and virtues of the soul. Those of the body include fasting, vigils, sleeping on the ground, ministering to people's needs, working with one's hands so as not to be a burden or in order to give to others (cf. 1 Thess. 2:9, Ephes. 4:28). Those of the soul include love, long-suffering, gentleness, self-control and prayer (cf. Gal, 5:22). If as a result of some constraint or bodily condition, such as illness or the like, we find we cannot practice the bodily virtues mentioned above, we are forgiven by the Lord because He knows the reasons. But if we fail to practice the virtues of the soul, we shall not have a single excuse, for it is always within our power to practice them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1979 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

'As there is a harsh and evil zeal which separateth from God and leadeth to hell, so there is a virtuous zeal which separateth from vice and leadeth to God and life everlasting.

Let the monks, therefore, practice this zeal with most ardent love; namely, that in honor they forerun one another (Rom 12:10). Let them bear their infirmities, whether of body or mind, with the utmost patience; let them vie with one another in obedience. Let no one follow what he thinketh useful to himself, but rather to another. Let them practice fraternal charity with a chaste love.

Let them fear God and love their Abbot with sincere and humble affection; let them prefer nothing whatever to Christ, and my He lead us all together to life everlasting.'

St. Benedict

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1980 on: January 04, 2021, 05:36:42 AM »

'I have indeed thanked the Sacred Heart of our Lord Jesus Christ for the graces that He gives you, and I have besought Him to continue to bestow them upon you and to make you correspond faithfully with them, so that you may persevere steadfastly in the holy desire He gives you to love and glorify Him by making Him known.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1981 on: January 05, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »

'It is most laudable in a married woman to be devout, but she must not forget that she is a housewife; and sometimes she must leave God at the altar to find Him in her housekeeping.'

St. Frances of Rome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1982 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »

'Be gentle in your actions; speak with a peaceful mind and in a calm tone, and you will succeed better.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1983 on: January 07, 2021, 04:07:55 AM »

'In every holy work arm yourself with confidence in God; let no obstacles frighten you. God will enable you to do wonders. Be, then, generous and courageous. Put your shoulder to the wheel with humility and purity of intention, having in view only the glory of God. Thank Him for having chosen you as an instrument of His glory, and, humbling yourself in His presence, cry out, "I am as nothing before Thee." (Ps. xxxviii. 6.)'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: