Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2021, 12:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 471912 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2112 on: September 14, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

'A lady wishing to have a widow live with her to take care of, asked St. Athanasius to find her one among his poor. Afterwards meeting the Bishop, she reproached him that he had treated her ill, because this person was too good, and gave her nothing to do by which she could gain heaven; and she begged him to give her another. The saint chose the worst he could find; of a cross, grumbling temper, never satisfied with what was done for her. This is the way we must act, for there is no great merit in doing good to one who values it, who thanks us and is grateful.

There are some persons who think they are never treated well enough; they seem as if they had a right to every thing. They are never pleased with what is done for them; they repay everybody with ingratitude. . . Well! those are the people to whom we should do good by preference.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2113 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »

'Jesus is happy to come with us, as truth is happy to be spoken, as life to be lived, as light to be lit, as love is to be loved, as joy to be given, as peace to be spread.'

St. Francis of Assisi

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2114 on: September 16, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »

'But, for one who desires to approach God, it is necessary to become the enemy of His enemies; and, as I find nothing that is worse than myself, nor that is more inimical to Him, I am compelled to hold myself in more aversion than anything else whatever, and will even despise myself and count it to be worthless. And, on the other hand, I will detach my spirit from all the goods of both this world and the other, which I will henceforth regard as if they had no existence. I have implored God neither to suffer me to rejoice interiorly nor to grieve over any created thing, so that I may never be seen to shed a single tear. And I have begged Him to take away from me the freedom of my will, so that I may no longer do what pleases me, but only what is according to His pleasure: all these things I have obtained from his clemency.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2115 on: September 17, 2021, 08:37:03 PM »

'A living faith consists of thinking little of self, and showing consideration for others.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2116 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »

'The Majesty of God does not come in a stormcloud (III. Reg. 19, 12), nor will the rays of the supreme Sun of justice shine, when calm is not reigning in the soul.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2117 on: September 20, 2021, 01:48:56 AM »

'You shall receive, hear, and address the person at the gate as Christ, not as man, which also you shall observe with those of the house when you open the door to let them out.'

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2118 on: September 21, 2021, 01:09:17 AM »

'One does not speak of the works of God, even with the least of mortals, without drawing great profit from it.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2119 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:52 AM »

'Take as your motto and aspiration in every event and frame of mind, these words of our Lord: "Thy will be done!" adding: "My God I abandon myself to Thee."'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2120 on: September 23, 2021, 03:03:54 AM »

'In trying to get rid of bad habits, it is of the greatest importance not to put off going to confession after a fall, and also to keep to the same confessor.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2121 on: September 24, 2021, 03:21:48 AM »

'He who loves God neither distresses nor is distressed with anyone on account of transitory things. There is only one kind of distress which he both suffers and inflicts on others: that salutary distress which the blessed Paul suffered and which he inflicted on the Corinthians (cf. 2 Cor. 7:8-11).'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2122 on: September 25, 2021, 04:48:39 AM »

'Take it for a principle to concede readily in the beginning of a conversation with those whose aspirations are only earthly; but reserve yourself for the end and try to cover with a layer of gold the metal of their conversation, whatsoever it may be.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2123 on: September 26, 2021, 10:45:07 PM »

'When the devil has failed in making a man fall, he puts forward all his energies to create distrust between the penitent and the confessor, and so by little and little he gains his end at last.

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2124 on: September 27, 2021, 05:11:27 AM »

'All graces given to those outside the Church are given them for the purpose of bringing them inside the Church.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2125 on: September 28, 2021, 02:47:11 AM »

'God assesses our action according to our intention; for it is said that the Lord will "reward you according to your heart" (Ps. 20:4).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2126 on: September 29, 2021, 01:51:49 AM »

'In this golden ciborium I put your Sacramental Communions. In this silver ciborium I put your Spiritual Communions. Both ciboriums are quite pleasing to Me.'

The Lord, to St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2127 on: September 30, 2021, 03:18:01 AM »

'He who does not envy the spiritually mature and is merciful to the wicked has attained an equal love for all.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: