Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705005 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2352 on: June 04, 2022, 02:29:55 AM »

'I will make thee understand that I am a wise and learned director, Who will safely lead those souls who, forgetful of themselves, abandon themselves to Me.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2353 on: June 05, 2022, 10:31:31 PM »

'Prayer attunes us for converse with God and, through long practice, leads us to friendship with Him; with Him Whose love accepts even worthless men and is not ashamed to enter into friendship with them, so long as the love that lives in them gives them daring.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: June 06, 2022, 11:18:51 AM »

'The virtues generate good thoughts; the commandments lead us to the virtues; the practice of the virtues depends on our own will and resolution.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2355 on: June 07, 2022, 11:32:39 PM »

'Furthermore, while the soul is withdrawn from everything and is turned within, the eye of contemplation is opened and sets itself up a ladder by which it can pass to the contemplation of God. By this contemplation the soul is set on fire for eternal things by the heavenly and divine good things it experiences, and views all the things of time from a distance and as if they were nothing. Hence when we approach God by the way of negation, we first deny him everything that can be experienced by the body, the senses and the imagination, secondly even things experienceable by the intellect, and finally even being itself in so far as it is found in created things. This, so far as the nature of the way is concerned, is the best means of union with God, according to Dionysius. And this is the cloud in which God is said to dwell, which Moses entered, and through this came to the inaccessible light.'

St. Albert the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2356 on: June 08, 2022, 01:43:54 AM »

'Often our knowledge becomes darkened because we fail to put things into practice. For when we have totally neglected to practice something, our memory of it will gradually disappear.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2357 on: June 09, 2022, 01:41:23 AM »

'Love for God leads him who shares in it to be indifferent to every transient pleasure and every labor and distress. Let all the saints, who have suffered joyfully so much for Christ, convince you of this.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: June 10, 2022, 03:18:47 AM »

'If you want with a few words to benefit one who is eager to learn, speak to him about prayer, right faith, and the patient acceptance of what comes. For all else that is good is found through these.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2359 on: June 11, 2022, 03:45:54 AM »

'Therefore, my beloved brethren, we should not look at these temporal things, but fix our attention on those which are eternal. Though affliction may come, it will have an end, though insult and persecution, yet are they nothing to the hope which is set [before us]. For all present matters are trifling compared with those which are future; the sufferings of this present time not being worthy to be compared with the hope that is to come. For what can be compared with the kingdom? or what is there in comparison with life eternal?'

St. Athanasius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2360 on: June 12, 2022, 05:10:05 AM »

'We ought to fear and fly temptations of the flesh, even in sickness, and in old age itself, aye, and so long as we can open and shut our eyelids, for the spirit of incontinence gives no truce either to place, time, or person.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2361 on: June 13, 2022, 04:28:18 AM »

'See my children; the treasure of a Christian is not on the earth, it is in Heaven. Well, our thoughts ought to be where our treasure is.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2362 on: June 14, 2022, 04:25:19 AM »

'It seems that God is calling you to great perfection. And I perceive it by this, that He takes away from you every tie that might hinder it in you.'

St. Catherine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2363 on: June 16, 2022, 06:54:51 AM »

'God wills that, like precious stones, you be firmly set in the golden ring of charity. He wills that you be so many victims, so many holocausts, sacrificed to the glory of the Most High in the sacred fire of suffering. He wills that through this sacrifice you may continually diffuse the good odor of virtues.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2364 on: June 17, 2022, 05:26:19 AM »

'The soul's strength is its firm state of virtue; on reaching such a state one may say with the invincible apostle Paul; 'What can separate us from the love of Christ?' (Rom. 8:35).'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2365 on: June 18, 2022, 06:00:43 AM »

'When we enter ornate and clean Basilicas, adorned with crosses, sacred images, altars and burning lamps, we most easily conceive devotion. But on the other hand, when we enter the temples of the heretics, where there is nothing except a chair for preaching and a table for making a meal, we feel ourselves to be entering a profane hall and not the House of God.'

St. Robert Bellarmine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2366 on: June 19, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »

'We may ask a spiritual alms even corporally, by going first to the church of one Saint, and then to the church of another, to make our petition.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2367 on: June 20, 2022, 05:34:16 AM »

'He who shall courageously present himself to drink our Savior's chalice will find that a certain divine strength will never fail him in persecutions.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: